• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handheld techniques (1 Viewer)

Tord

Hi

Handheld shooting with the SW80 is associated with the challenge having to manage three tasks with two hands only. The left hand supporting the scope near the tripod mount and the right hand operating the shutter release button and the focuser knob, with a distance 10-20 cm in between depending on the distance to subject.

What struck my mind is that the use of a USB remote control should (at least in theory) be a possible solution to workaround this. Operated by the right or left hand depending on what feels best.

Has anyone tried this?

/Tord

I got me an usb shutter remote not long ago - not for use with the scope though - but I had a quick test after reading your post, and it should work. At least for those of you that trained already of shooting handheld.

Personally, I could not really manage it, since it felt unbalanced - one hand holding the tube from underneath at it's middlepoint (thumb operating the remote) and the other hand operating the focuser. Since the camera extends way back it all becomes unbalanced and shaky - but I guess it could be done with some training and muscle exercise... ;-).

On a side note, I do miss the IR remote option I had with the E-3 that the OM-D unfortunatedly lacks.

This is something I've considered trying too, however I've found handholding the scope and camera whilst trying to keep it as steady as possible is a challenge in itself, let alone having to worry about focusing too. It's something I'll do for a record shot, but I'm yet to get a 'keeper' by hand holding. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I get a lot of shake, despite my magnificent biceps! ;)

I'm still getting the hang of manual focussing and even with a rock-steady tripod I'll take a lot of duffers!!

I have a wireless remote for my 7D (not USB - never heard of one!) but never tried it with the astroscope though. As far as I can see you would still want a third hand the press the remote button. I always shoot my SW80 with a 1.4x tc attached and unless you could get a mega fast shutter speed anything less than a staple tripod at this focal length would not get me sharp shots.

Some raptors from today

Hi,

I tested the technique today.

Left hand supporting the scope, right hand supporting the extension tube, right index operating the shutter through USB remote control and operating the focuser with right hand. I also tested firing with left hand but that felt clumsy, being right handed.

Was it easy? Not really. Feasible? Yes, but it requires practice to master the multi-tasking.

Pictures are taken at 75-150 meters range, had to crop.

E-620, ISO 800, SW80.
Kite: 1/800s
Sea Eagle and Buzzard: 1/1250s
Golden Eagle: 1/2500s
Sea Eagle and Kite: 1/1250s

I also tried with 1.4 TC but got very low keeper rate, it is simply too difficult to get focus right.

Will try again this weekend, pending weather conditions...

Attachments

• P3018456_DxO.jpg
    P3018456_DxO.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 97
  • P3018515_DxO.jpg
    P3018515_DxO.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 133
  • P3018530_DxO.jpg
    P3018530_DxO.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 102
  • P3018538_DxO.jpg
    P3018538_DxO.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 111
not bad at all considering the distances/crops. Will try to do it your way - firing with the right hand instead, maybe it'll reduce some of the shake I get.

edit: seems you got some sun at least ;-)

I think in all the years of owning my scope I've only had the need to photograph this way just once. That was because the scope wasn't on the tripod and I didn't want to miss a shot. I used to use this hand held method all the time when I had a lightweight spotting scope but I guess the SW80ED would need to shed about half its weight to make this a feasible alternative to a tripod.

Paul.

I think in all the years of owning my scope I've only had the need to photograph this way just once. That was because the scope wasn't on the tripod and I didn't want to miss a shot. I used to use this hand held method all the time when I had a lightweight spotting scope but I guess the SW80ED would need to shed about half its weight to make this a feasible alternative to a tripod.

Paul.
What I have in mind are the opportunities to be seized within seconds, with no time to deploy the scope. While driving to/from my favorite areas I quite often encounter interesting subjects (such as the ones in this thread) that are gone long before the tripod is out. Maybe I instead should have a second setup with an AF lens readily available on the passenger seat...

Not much wrong with those Tord. I particularly like the Red Kite! Interesting to hear the 1.4 TC made it a lot harder to focus - mine is pretty much always on with my current set-up so I may have another go at hand holding without the TC. You seem spoilt for choice when it comes to birds of prey. I'm a tad jealous! :t:

Not much wrong with those Tord. I particularly like the Red Kite! Interesting to hear the 1.4 TC made it a lot harder to focus - mine is pretty much always on with my current set-up so I may have another go at hand holding without the TC. You seem spoilt for choice when it comes to birds of prey. I'm a tad jealous! :t:
Thanks Dave,
What I meant is the depth of field at 840mm becomes even shallower and I got almost no keepers. And yes, we have the privilege being able to enjoy plenty of birds of prey where I live. On a good day at this place you can expect something like 50 observations/hour, sometimes more, most of them Red Kites. Wintertime (nov-feb) is the best time to visit, chance of seeing White Tailed Eagle is virtually 100% with quite large wintering population, fair chance of spotting Golden Eaglse but they are less numerous with only few confirmed couples and some youngsters. Most often the birds will hover high on the thermics, occasionally they will pass by at 25 meters only. Come March and the Sea Eagles will return to the Baltic and the Golden Eagles to the far north.

Great images! Have you considered a motorized focusser instead? It would allow you to keep your right hand at the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back