• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (1 Viewer)

Guys, can I connect to the P900 with a PC? A simple connection attempt did not succeed (P900 wifi turned on, PC WiFi adapter switched to Nikon. It tries to connect, but nothing happens). Or the WiFi connection is for mobile devices only?

WiFi is for mobile devices - I tried it with my phone and download was OK.

Yilane, you should have a USB lead with the 900, just plug in to the PC and Camera. Also an HDMI lead for a TV.

Den

That's what I do - using a USB lead the camera comes up in windows explorer as 'P900' and I copy the DCIM folder to my PC.
Windows will import pictures via a 'wizard' if you want but I just copy them manually.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. As I said I just wanted to use wifi in cases when there were only a few pics to download but the workaround mentioned by GrahameNZ seems to be just too much of a hassle but I am grateful for it anyway. I am using an USB 3.0 card reader which is awesome (extremely fast).

The idea for using the Fn button is great, thanks Chris!

Do you have any experience with 3rd party external battery chargers? Maybe any recommendations? I am a bit afraid to get one of the cheap ones from ebay... But Nikon's own charger is pretty expensive. I would not buy one with only two connector pins, but what about the ones with three pins? (I am not an electrical expert. I would not be surprised if the 3rd pin on these cheap ones would not do anything and would be just for making the device look more professional.)

Do you have any experience with 3rd party external battery chargers? Maybe any recommendations? I am a bit afraid to get one of the cheap ones from ebay... But Nikon's own charger is pretty expensive. I would not buy one with only two connector pins, but what about the ones with three pins? (I am not an electrical expert. I would not be surprised if the 3rd pin on these cheap ones would not do anything and would be just for making the device look more professional.)

I'm in the UK and got mine from Amazon.

Well, something else. I am very pleasantly surprised by the image quality. I still have some test shots only but if the subject is not too far away (like within 20 metres) then I am inclined to say that the images are in many respects -- sharpness, details, colours -- at least as good as the ones I used to make with my old Olympus DSLR + 70-300 +1.4 TC. (Which was not a top rig for bird photography, I must admit.)

Initially I thought that the P900 will do for record shots only and accepted it but now I am beginning to feel that in the right cirsumstances I may be able to make some good photos as well. Of course I saw some really great pics in this forum but I thought that they were made by people with much greater experience than me (which is probably true). Now I am optimistic that I may be able to achieve something similar.

Yilane, yes the image quality is good for amateur photography which I use it for and after 3 months I am still pleased with it. For the professional making a living from it, it is wanting, as is all small sensor cameras.

I took this comparison shots from about 10 meters, one with full optical zoom and one with full dinamic digital zoom (4000mm eq) and then the pictures were both cropped to show more detail. I am sure nobody can tell the difference. Anybody care to try?

Attachments

• Rooiborsduif.jpg
    Rooiborsduif.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Yilane, yes the image quality is good for amateur photography which I use it for and after 3 months I am still pleased with it. For the professional making a living from it, it is wanting, as is all small sensor cameras.

I took this comparison shots from about 10 meters, one with full optical zoom and one with full dinamic digital zoom (4000mm eq) and then the pictures were both cropped to show more detail. I am sure nobody can tell the difference. Anybody care to try?

It would be a guess if i answered,tell me is part of your point you can crop to match the digital zoom,or is the digital a benefit over cropping

Many people say that you loose a lot of quality if you use digital zoom. I want to demonstrate that you don't. Any definition you loose with either proses will be visible with the other as well because of conditions at the time of shooting. Here was someone complaining heavily about image quality of the P900 but he use a high ISO compared to the other camera and olso a lot of camera shake was visible in his pictures.

Back to the pictures above, with digital zoom you can crop in even more before it start to show individual pixels like with optical zoom only. The camera algorithm crop and increase pixel count back to 16mp while at the same time decrease file size. With normal zoom and cropping there is a decrease in pixels. So as the last part of your comment, yes there is a benefit of digital zoom over cropping where you need it.

Many people say that you loose a lot of quality if you use digital zoom. I want to demonstrate that you don't. Any definition you loose with either proses will be visible with the other as well because of conditions at the time of shooting. Here was someone complaining heavily about image quality of the P900 but he use a high ISO compared to the other camera and olso a lot of camera shake was visible in his pictures.

Back to the pictures above, with digital zoom you can crop in even more before it start to show individual pixels like with optical zoom only. The camera algorithm crop and increase pixel count back to 16mp while at the same time decrease file size. With normal zoom and cropping there is a decrease in pixels. So as the last part of your comment, yes there is a benefit of digital zoom over cropping where you need it.

Thanks the digital zoom is something i have not tried since the early days when it was crap,next time ime out with good light i will give it a try.

Out of interest do you work on them as jpegs or convert to tiff,i do one or the other,sometimes if ime not happy with the jpeg edit i will use a tiff.
Sorry to be so late in responding but this thread didn't have a lot of activity on it for a while...

Yes, my work flow is to always convert the out-of-camera jpegs to tif. When I shoot raw with my DSLR's, that's also what I do. The changes hold up better with the P900, and then I don't have to deal with Nikon's heavy-handed jpeg engine. When I post them on Flickr, I'll convert them back.

Any specific things you do to them? I sometimes touch them a little but only with the tools available in iPhoto.

I work exclusively in Photoshop. I learned it back in the early '90s when I worked as a professional photographer, and have stuck with it all these years. Typically I run the image through curves, and then check various other exposure tools to see if the image would benefit. Since I tend to shoot with the camera settings at as close to neutral as possible, most images can be improved to some degree... my final step is to run it through one of the sharpening tools.

Has anyone come up with a viewfinder eyepiece. I could leave my mini scope at home if this camera had something approximating to one

I've had good success using a Hoodman Loupe on the rear LCD. They make an elastic strap specifically for it so that it can be held in place. It makes the camera much bulkier but easy to see.

I would suggest going to the Nickon Coolpix forum over at www.dpreview.com. A number of those forum members have developed some great tools and modified some other devices to enable the camera to work better for them. Personally, I wish Nikon had made the EVF eyepiece with a rubber cup on it... it's really been my one major complaint about using the EVF.

Sorry to be so late in responding but this thread didn't have a lot of activity on it for a while...

Yes, my work flow is to always convert the out-of-camera jpegs to tif. When I shoot raw with my DSLR's, that's also what I do. The changes hold up better with the P900, and then I don't have to deal with Nikon's heavy-handed jpeg engine. When I post them on Flickr, I'll convert them back.

Thanks,just had a quick look at your images on flickr and i must say you have it cracked,i think i will look to work on all mine in tiff and not just the ones i want to do more to.
Going back for a longer look now ;)

Thanks,just had a quick look at your images on flickr and i must say you have it cracked,i think i will look to work on all mine in tiff and not just the ones i want to do more to.
Going back for a longer look now ;)

Thank you for your kind words!

I do have an album on my Flickr page specifically for images created with the P900 but the majority of my images have been created with gear a lot less portable...

UV filter

Do you use an UV filter to protect the lens? If you do, what kind? (I mean, which company has manufactured it.)

I've attached the very first acceptable images I made with the P900. Nothing very interesting from a birding point of view but they are pretty nice for a sensor of this size (and for the reach). The third one was shot with digital zoom (2400 mm).

Attachments

• DSCN0190kicsi.jpg
    DSCN0190kicsi.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN0178ed.jpg
    DSCN0178ed.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN0185ed.jpg
    DSCN0185ed.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 298
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back