• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

They are gettin BRAVE (1 Viewer)

Ours will get quite close , so much they will ladn in my hands to eat off of the feeders or land on my shoulder or hat now and then while i am photographing other birds, they have quite a built in curiousity, last year my son had one actually fall asleep in his hand, now this is uncommon but was cute he didnt kow what to do and was like dad can i wake it up my hand is getting tired, my wife and i have both also held them , sometimes when they perch on your hands they get sleepy I do not know why maybe body temp, but is was and will be an experiance we as a family will cherish and remember always

Theyre brave because they are quick as lightning! I remember at my granmothers...she had sat down on the porch with a gown on that had flowers all over it. One flew up to her right up to her midsection checking her out. she was like...what was that ol thang trying to do...you reckon it was gonna sting me....try to bite me...She didnt know if it was a bee or what. I told her they're attracted to the flowers on her gown...we both had a good laugh.
Did anyone ever see the guy on t.v. with the feeders in his trailor. He lived out in like Arizona or something. THey would come right in and feed. Like six at a time in his house! And he would put the solution in his mouth and hold a little fake flower on his lips and they would come up and drink from his mouth. Not the best for hygene for either, but still awesome! This was on a Public broadcast channel, or either discover. Cant remember, but i saw it. Crazy.

Last edited:
When my husband and I lived in the country, we would often get accidentally "dive-bombed" by the ruby throated hummingbirds. He was wearing a red shirt one day and had one run right into him! It bounced off his chest, hovered for a second, and then took off!

They make the cutest little sounds when they fight with each other at the feeders!

Perhaps more Greedy than Brave

Cris,

Last summer I was hanging one of our feeders. It's a weeping mulberry tree right outside the kitchen window. The tree is pruned to have an umbrella effect when the leaves are on, so they like it for the protection.

Anyway, before I could get it hung up, there were 2 of them trying to land. We have about 8 or 9 during the peak times of summer. So I stood there holding the feeder, next to where it usually hangs. They started landing on the foot pegs and feeding. I had my step daughter go out and do the same thing. We got some grainy video of it on my digital camera.

Edit - I forgot, I think it's Perkys Pets Co. makes an insecticide barrier. It's a bell shaped plastic deal that hangs on the branch, and your feeder hangs under it. We used them last year and they work great!! Before, I would ring the base of the feeder pole with Diazinon and clear away branches that would touch it. I tried spraying Pam on the pole, but nothing worked as good as these. When I find it in the store, I'll post the correct name and such.

Last edited:
tugboatphil said:
Cris,

Last summer I was hanging one of our feeders. It's a weeping mulberry tree right outside the kitchen window. The tree is pruned to have an umbrella effect when the leaves are on, so they like it for the protection.

Interesting. Every site I have ever been at that has good numbers of hummingbirds (I am talking hundreds or multiples thereof) has the feeders in the open - separate and apart from the shelter which is vital to these birds. Sorry, but when I see people who are running 150 feeders with so many birds I can not hear myself think tell me to keep the feeders in the open - NOT under trees - that is what I will do.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Gosh, it never even occurred to us that it might not be a good spot. We just put it out and they went right to it. We also have one that is below the level of the top of our rhododendron bush. It's kind of in a bowl area. The females like it a lot, as they can kind of hide in there while the males are battling for turf.

Here's the item I previously mentioned for keeping ants off. Sorry, but my "Green Stamp" camera doesn't have very good resolution for close ups. It is made by Perky Pets.

Attachments

• ant guard.jpg
    ant guard.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 143
tugboatphil said:
Gosh, it never even occurred to us that it might not be a good spot. We just put it out and they went right to it. We also have one that is below the level of the top of our rhododendron bush. It's kind of in a bowl area. The females like it a lot, as they can kind of hide in there while the males are battling for turf.

Here's the item I previously mentioned for keeping ants off. Sorry, but my "Green Stamp" camera doesn't have very good resolution for close ups. It is made by Perky Pets.

Sorry. Didn't mean to jump all over you. All of the indications I am getting in my work point toward keeping feeders and, as much as possible feed plants, in the open where these birds can see them easily and, more importantly, where they can see avian predators easily and get out of the way. I have three feeders active right now - one under shade and two in the open. Today I walked right up to the one under shade and startled a little male on it. I don't know who was surprised more - he or I , since there is "never" a bird on that feeder. The others are in use all the time.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

humminbird said:
Sorry. Didn't mean to jump all over you. All of the indications I am getting in my work point toward keeping feeders and, as much as possible feed plants, in the open where these birds can see them easily and, more importantly, where they can see avian predators easily and get out of the way. I have three feeders active right now - one under shade and two in the open. Today I walked right up to the one under shade and startled a little male on it. I don't know who was surprised more - he or I , since there is "never" a bird on that feeder. The others are in use all the time.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

I have three feeders. and just a week ago, finally got some hummers coming. There are three female ruby throats. One feeder is out in the sun (NE side), one is window mounted (SW side), and the third is one of those glass hanging feeders hanging under the eaves of my apartment (NE side also). One female prefers to use the one in the sun, one of them likes the window mounted one, and a third likes the red glass one. Only one of the three feeders is actually out in the open. The window mounted and the glass one have a limited, if any, view of the sky. I have even seen the NE female at the SW feeder.

Cris said:
WOW why is the smallest bird one of the most brave? I went out to the feeder to check for ants and i hear hummmmm sure enough a hummer not 12 inches away from my face. after that i brought a chair outside and a few minutes later hummmmm but this time it wasnt at the feeder IT WAS TRYING TO LAND ON MY HEAD it was so close i could feel its wings touch my hair that is COOL. Do they do that to anyone else??? Why are they so interested in people???

COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL :h?: :bounce:
________

Indeed they can be brave. They've buzzed me when I watered my backyard plants. Probably wanted a spritz bath. Anyway, I just got back from the "hummingbird capital of the world" (SE Arizona). Here are some pics.
Photo 1: Black-chinned hummer.
Photo 2: Broad-billed hummer
Photo 3: Broad-billed hummer

Attachments

• Black-chinned hummer_resized.JPG
    Black-chinned hummer_resized.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Patagonia Preserve Broad-billed hummer_resized.JPG
    Patagonia Preserve Broad-billed hummer_resized.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Patagonia Preserve Broad-billed hummer_rresized.JPG
    Patagonia Preserve Broad-billed hummer_rresized.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
wings said:
________

Indeed they can be brave. They've buzzed me when I watered my backyard plants. Probably wanted a spritz bath. Anyway, I just got back from the "hummingbird capital of the world" (SE Arizona). Here are some pics.
Photo 1: Black-chinned hummer.
Photo 2: Broad-billed hummer
Photo 3: Broad-billed hummer
Wings: I would claim that the hummingbird capital of the world is Tandayapa in Ecuador, where you can see more species in 15 minutes at their feeders than have ever occured in Arizona :) I had 17 species in 15 minutes there last September and 20ish species for the 4 days I was there. Add to that the ones I saw at Yanacocha and Guango and Bellavista and I believe I got 30-35 in my week in Ecuador...pretty spectacular place..so much so i'm going back for a 3rd time in November.

Arizona is defintiely the hummer capital of the US though :)

Chris, sorry to be so late rejoining the discussion, but thanks sooooo much for all the technical detail on your photographic set-up. I've already copied your posts and filed them away for a day when I can take the time to do some serious shooting. Most of what I shoot, especially in the yard, is opportunistic and for documenting species -- i.e., totally utilitarian, not an ounce of artistry to be found. LOL! But as I say, one of these days... :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back