• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Hummingbird Query (1 Viewer)

btooze

I am considering purchasing a Celestron Hummingbird 50mm Spotting Scope to supplement my 10x binoculars.
I have an Opticron 60mm Scope and a Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod but I very rarely use them due to the weight.
The on line reviews have been quite favourable but I would like the opinion of a Hummingbird owner.
Also, is it best used with a monopod or lightweight tripod.

In the field, the small scopes are a tradeoff.
A tripod is essential for a stable view, but that adds much bulk, which conflicts with the reason one gets a small scope. A monopod is a workable compromise, you see better.
I've gone to a compact Velbon Super8 monopod for my ED50/13-40xMC setup, but mostly use the scope freehand. The monopod helps more at the higher powers, but don't expect relaxing views, the jitters are still bothersome.

Btooze,not sure if you got sorted with this query but I have been using one since I found one under the Christmas tree with my name on it. I am certainly well impressed with mine and have found it good when we need to move away from the car and my bigger Hawke scope. Light enough to be hand held but usually I use it with set up a light monopod and like that it useful for following raptors in flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back