• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (36 Viewers)

WOW what a weekend after seeing the Marmora’s and Great Reed Warbler I didn’t think it could get any better but it did when the pager went off with news of a male Red-backed Shrike at Snettisham. I went there straight after finishing work at Holme and with minutes of arriving I was soon onto the bird. What a cracker it was too in its full summer plumage, a very nice bird to bring me up to 200 for the year.

A Black Redstart at East Runton today was a very late bird, but just shows there are still things moving, so not quite time to give up looking yet!

Also managed to catch up with a local Hobby too today with one over Cromer sewage works.

Photos of the BR and other recent stuff round the patch on my blog.

Simon

Titchwell June 18th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 5 dropped onto fresh marsh @ 16:30
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 4 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 1 in reedbed
Knot - 1000+ roosting on fresh marsh
Bearded tit - birds showing well feeding on bloodworms on the mud from Island Hide

Paul

5 Black-Tailed Godwits North over Denver Sluice this evening (my first record of this species at this site outside of winter), also some nice views of Lesser Whitethroat nesting.

Several reports of honey buzzards on RBA this week at the Wensum Valley watchpoint. I spent an hour there on Monday & Wenesday and 5 hours Thursday is good flying conditions and not a sniff of one. Despite many suposed sightings I think only 2 could be considered probable honey buzzards and both high overflyers probably on passage. I have been watching almost every day since mid May and have yet to see one , nor have any of the vol wardens seen any. Its too late for them to start breeding this year now though there is a fair chance some in late summer. Most years we get a couple of birds stopping over on their way south in July and August. Reports form the other regular watch points around the country are very sparce to say the least. Its a bit early yet to say for sure , but it is starting to look as though some disaster might have overtaken them on the wintering grounds or on migration.

Several reports of honey buzzards on RBA this week at the Wensum Valley watchpoint. I spent an hour there on Monday & Wenesday and 5 hours Thursday is good flying conditions and not a sniff of one. Despite many suposed sightings I think only 2 could be considered probable honey buzzards and both high overflyers probably on passage. I have been watching almost every day since mid May and have yet to see one , nor have any of the vol wardens seen any. Its too late for them to start breeding this year now though there is a fair chance some in late summer. Most years we get a couple of birds stopping over on their way south in July and August. Reports form the other regular watch points around the country are very sparce to say the least. Its a bit early yet to say for sure , but it is starting to look as though some disaster might have overtaken them on the wintering grounds or on migration.

luck & being there at the right time helps , don't the flamingo's look grand at cley 2day

Wonderful views of the Chilean Flamingoes at Cley today along with 8 Spoonbills on Pat's Pool - best thing on offer!

Little Stint and 3 Spotted Redshanks from North Hide.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

don't the flamingo's look grand at cley 2day said:
MEANWHILE, back in the real world......
Thought it worth a look at the sea from Sheringham today given the weather conditions. Funny how theres always plenty of room down there at this time of year. Highlights were 24 Manxies east & 2 west + an adult/3rd yr Pom Skua close in also going east. Shame we did`nt get a return flyby from the Lesser Flamingo of the other week. Now that really would have been something to see ! As an aside, cant find any published records of Pom in Norfolk in June before. Anyone know any different ?

MEANWHILE, back in the real world......
Thought it worth a look at the sea from Sheringham today given the weather conditions. Funny how theres always plenty of room down there at this time of year. Highlights were 24 Manxies east & 2 west + an adult/3rd yr Pom Skua close in also going east. Shame we did`nt get a return flyby from the Lesser Flamingo of the other week. Now that really would have been something to see ! As an aside, cant find any published records of Pom in Norfolk in June before. Anyone know any different ?

One was seen on the 26th June 2007 at Hunstanton (2007 B&M Report). Birds of Norfolk says that there have been reports from all months of the year so presumably there are a few earlier June records. From glancing at the last 5 reports there seems to be a few May outlier records then a gap until late July.

Regards,
James

Much quieter on the sea this morning with lesser numbers of Gannets & Auks & only a couple of Manxies. Whilst we are all still waiting for summer to arrive, a sure sign of things to come were 3 small flocks of Teal west along with 5 Barwits & 2 Curlew as well as 2 R.T.Divers & 2 Brents :eek!:

Two Trumpeter Finches ? Aurochs ? Is this really Norfolk today ?

I drove into the car park at the Cley NWT VC with some surprise. Just before, two pink blobs had penetrated my consciousness. Had the Trumpeter returned and been joined by its twin. No ! The 2 Chilly Annes (yes, it was cold) were still present, although not announced pager-wise. (This, they shared with a Red-necked Phalarope, which recently had graced Holme for a couple days- the news remaining ‘private’. I also heard of TWO recent Rosefinches in the birding Bermuda Triangle around Kelling.)

Needless to say, by the time I arrived in Bishop Hide, they(the Flamingos)’d taken on the characteristics of large, rosaceous monopods and gone to sleep; having been sifting voraciously only just before. Their posture in-photo was a fitting comment on the performance against Algeria.

Another shift in the geographic continuum occurred on the drive to the ford at Glandford, when I was temporarily translocated to the Highlands.

Attachments

• 067psesm.jpg
    067psesm.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 002psesm.jpg
    002psesm.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 65
I drove into the car park at the Cley NWT VC with some surprise. Just before, two pink blobs had penetrated my consciousness. Had the Trumpeter returned and been joined by its twin. No ! The 2 Chilly Annes (yes, it was cold) were still present, although not announced pager-wise. (This, they shared with a Red-necked Phalarope, which recently had graced Holme for a couple days- the news remaining ‘private’. I also heard of TWO recent Rosefinches in the birding Bermuda Triangle around Kelling.)

May I, herewith, apologise if a recent 'unsavory' conversation that I, ashamedly, was party to had any bearing or influence on decisions made in the reasoning behind this news not being widely available. I apologise to anyone who witnessed this (although not for the hitherto content) and here abide to keep my mouth shut (as if) and not give suppressors any more reason than they already have. Thus end-th my self flagellation.o:D

May I, herewith, apologise if a recent 'unsavory' conversation that I, ashamedly, was party to had any bearing or influence on decisions made in the reasoning behind this news not being widely available. I apologise to anyone who witnessed this (although not for the hitherto content) and here abide to keep my mouth shut (as if) and not give suppressors any more reason than they already have. Thus end-th my self flagellation.o:D

Sorry to disappoint those who like to jump to conclusions, but the details are. A bird thought to be rosefinch was heard distantly from Weybourne car park about 10 days ago, it only called twice. The following day there was a Rosefinch around Moss`s ringing area on weybourne camp, briefly. The second record I can only think was of a claim of Rosefinch calling, by persons unknown near Kelling Hard last week. We heard about it the following day, but could not find anything. As the Kelling weather station emits a strange noise that has in the past been attributed to Rosefinch, I would not put too much credance on the claim. Would have loved a viewable bird to have been there for my Kelling list.

John

ps nice pics on Surfbirds of a bird near Eccles.

After many weeks of watching at last I saw a honey buzzard at Swanton Novers this afternoon. At 2.00 pm an intermediate phase bird ( pale under parts with heavy black barring ) flew north low overhead along the woodland to the west of the watch point as I was driving through the wood from my office. It may have been present all day as one of the vol wardens had a suspected sighting in the morning while I was at the Wensum Valley watch point.

This bird was not one of the pair that was present last year. It remains to be seen if it settles down or was just a passage bird ? Interestingly One was also reported from Wykham Woods in Yorkshire today only I think the third or forth report this year. Are these late birds struggling in against adverse winds ?

Sighting this weekend at the raptor watch points

Swanton Novers
Common Buzzard 10 +
Kestrel 2
Sparrowhawk 4
Honey Buzzard 1
Hobby 2
Goshawk 1 male + 2 birds calling at dusk

Wensum valley
Common Buzzard lots
Kestrel several
Sparrowhawk 3
Marsh harrier 2+
Hobby 2
Harris hawk 1
Little Egret 2
Med gull 4
Curlew 4
Barn owl 1
Little owl 1

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint those who like to jump to conclusions, but the details are. A bird thought to be rosefinch was heard distantly from Weybourne car park about 10 days ago, it only called twice. The following day there was a Rosefinch around Moss`s ringing area on weybourne camp, briefly. The second record I can only think was of a claim of Rosefinch calling, by persons unknown near Kelling Hard last week. We heard about it the following day, but could not find anything. As the Kelling weather station emits a strange noise that has in the past been attributed to Rosefinch, I would not put too much credance on the claim. Would have loved a viewable bird to have been there for my Kelling list.

John

ps nice pics on Surfbirds of a bird near Eccles.

Thanks for explaining that, John.

I was walking in the area a couple of months a go with another birder who heard the noise emitted by the weather stations and even he enquired whether it was being made by something living, until I expalined it to him!;)

Nice pics from Eccles:eek!:, but not exactly a nice plumage! Oh for another one like the Weybourne 'car park' bird, now that was a sight to see! And another occasion where a second good bird was found, as I was part of the id'ing of the Marsh Warbler there at the time.:t:

Last edited:
Titchwell June 21st

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 3 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - pair on reedbed pool
Bittern - 1 over reedbed

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back