• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

Great news regarding the Spoonbills. Breeding in style, 6 pairs! I would agree Mr. Sim that this can in some respects be attributed to climate change, but also to natural expansion of these species. I wonder if a watchpoint has or will be set up?

There seems to have been an influx of this species (certainly in this county anyway) with upwards of 30 Spoonbills in Norfolk at the moment!

There seems to have been an influx of this species (certainly in this county anyway) with upwards of 30 Spoonbills in Norfolk at the moment!

Are any of the birds at Cley juveniles from the Holkham breeders I wonder? Can't imagine they have gone undetected, surely not!
Thinking on, why success in 2010? Spoonbill have bred in Britain in the past, which doesn't rule out climate change as a factor but certainly asks questions of it. Although our island is becoming more and more crowded, there is now more land under the nature reserve umbrella than ever before, encouraging a greater variety of species to breed. No doubt the hard working attempts to restore Britain's wetlands and the like to their former glory have aided the establishment of this years rare breeders.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
In a UK400 Club email LGRE says: "The North Norfolk EURASIAN SPOONBILL colony at Holkham Freshmarshes has this year broken all records with as many as 10 youngsters expected to fledge before mid August."

The wording seems to me to suggest that there has been previous breeding of Spoonbills at Holkham. Is that so? Or is he just referring to the few previous UK records?

Nigel

In a UK400 Club email LGRE says: "The North Norfolk EURASIAN SPOONBILL colony at Holkham Freshmarshes has this year broken all records with as many as 10 youngsters expected to fledge before mid August."

The wording seems to me to suggest that there has been previous breeding of Spoonbills at Holkham. Is that so? Or is he just referring to the few previous UK records?

Nigel

There was certainly a pair regularly frequenting the Little Egret colony at Holkham in 2008. Don't know if they bred successfully.

Last edited:
i suspect that spoonbills have been trying to breed for some time at holkham. May pop in for a look on saturday. Just for info, both hoopoe and raven either bred or attempted to breed in the county this year. I have no further details. No doubt i will recieve comments re releasing news! My response, it is now august and the county is fairly large!:cat:

i suspect that spoonbills have been trying to breed for some time at holkham. May pop in for a look on saturday. Just for info, both hoopoe and raven either bred or attempted to breed in the county this year. I have no further details. No doubt i will recieve comments re releasing news! My response, it is now august and the county is fairly large!:cat:
I have also heard various rumours about Raven and Hoopoe breeding. Anybody able to shed more light???

I have also heard various rumours about Raven and Hoopoe breeding. Anybody able to shed more light???

I heard the Hoopoe rumour too...

Apparently Ravens are approaching double figures in Northamptonshire with birds getting across the border into Cambs and even rumoured breeding in the north of the county? ...so not too far for em to drift into Norfolk toon.

As for Norfolk breeders I've also heard that too but nowt firm yet... rumour mill hasn't reached Suffolk yet... to my knowledge? ... has it :eek!:

Noticing a few thread 'watchers' right now, hoping for a spill of the beans no doubt.......not from me chaps, I have been doing some birding!
Spent yesterday in Ted Ellis country, across the Yare from Strumpshaw. A quiet day in terms of birds, a reeling Gropper the highlight at Surlingham Marsh, but 2 great little reserves full of potential. Expect a few updates from these parts on the blog in the future!
Cheers,
Jim.

Do not forget some of these birds might return to breed next spring so please no more naming of sites ( as in wyrneck post ) please if we want these birds to establish themselves. Do not forget at worst you might be responsible of some egg collector locating the birds , or cause desertion from too much birding attention.

Timely posts from Connor and Tideliner. I find it hard to believe that info is even being requested on an open forum for stuff like that - particularly as we've just had a superb instance of what can be achieved when news of a scarce breeder is kept quiet and they're allowed to nest with minimal disturbance, as in the Spoonbills.

Timely posts from Connor and Tideliner. I find it hard to believe that info is even being requested on an open forum for stuff like that - particularly as we've just had a superb instance of what can be achieved when news of a scarce breeder is kept quiet and they're allowed to nest with minimal disturbance, as in the Spoonbills.
Just for the record. The raven stuff may just be rumours although a pair have wintered. I would expect given the expansion in numbers for other birds to arrive. As for the hoopoe stuff. I have given egg collectors a massive lead here! They will be getting out there os maps and seeking out suitible nesting sites (parks and gardens) in norfolk. Needle and haystacks come to mind. Having said that if birders had heard rumours - then eggers would have known anyway!
:cat:

The raven stuff may just be rumours although a pair have wintered. I would expect given the expansion in numbers for other birds to arrive. As for the hoopoe stuff. I have given egg collectors a massive lead here! They will be getting out there os maps and seeking out suitible nesting sites (parks and gardens) in norfolk. Needle and haystacks come to mind.

So the purpose of your original post was... what? Just inviting a harmless discussion on the subject, without digging for more information, i.e. locations?!! Call me an old cynic but usually posts discussing rumours of scarce breeders descend very rapidly into someone being stupid and letting slip something they shouldn't... IF rumours are true, as Tideliner says, it's possible these birds could come back to the same spot - Ravens are certainly site faithful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back