• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What about leeeeetle tripods? (1 Viewer)

Lewis

United States
Having bored everyone with my scope purchase tribulations and eventual purchase of Nikon Fieldscope II AN, may I now move on to matters tripod:

Along with the scope I purchased a Bogen Manfrotto 3405 'pod. It's all good. BUT, I am in a mere moment going to the Arboretum in Golden Gate Park to see what I can see, with the main intent of seeing how the CA quail are doing there. Perhaps erroneously, I believe that a little, backpackable tripod would serve just fine for this little jaunt. I can find areas well protected from the wind with sufficient surfaces to set the scope up higher than ground level. Would a little, table-top like tripod work? The scope fits nicely in my backpack; the tripod is a pain. A necessary pain for many environments, does anyone have experience with baby tripods?

Thanks!

Avoid small camera tripods. There are two options for lightweightness and hide use. You could get a hide clamp convertor that takes the central column and clamps to a shelf in a hide. The other option is a Monopod which is a lightweight extending stick.

I often stick my monopod foot in my jacket pocket and this helps increas mobility.

Little tripods just haven't got the weight to support a scope or camera - I know I bought 2 before I learned my lesson. The only exception I have found is the Ergorest which is great for viewing from a vehicle or hide, can be used as a chest pod or from ground level

I now use a Manfrotto 55 for both scope and telephoto lens.
P

Lewis, if you carry one of those shorties, surer'n'hell you won't find a place to set it high enough. I've tried several times, because their lightness is tempting, but I always end up lying in the muck or trying to wedge it into a tree crotch or something makeshift. Monopods are better, but can also wobble and are tiring to support, easily tilting out of the field you want. I always go to the camera store and buy the lightest standard tripod I can find-- and some are very light-- but even then, I make sure that the model cranks high enough so that I don't have to stoop.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back