• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

missed chances (1 Viewer)

O.Reville1989

I started off with nothing and I've still got some
Having not birdwatched for a few years there are species which I have missed and probably will never get.
Are there any species that were/are extremely rare to your area that you have missed? Can be for any reason. example: missed black and white warbler in Norwich due to broken foot!
Cheers.

I really regret that two years ago I never went to see the Brown Shrike at Staines. It was only an hour and a half away by public transport but I did not go because I did not want to start "twitching". I now do look for birds that have been reported locally or about that distance away but have not, as I feared it would lead to at that time, started long distance twitching. I cannot believe how silly I was being then.

Hmmm, theres has been numerous rarities that i have heard about after they left.
I said I would twitch quite a way for green heron, but not to say cornwall. The next one after I said that was in Cornwall.
Ive missed local birds eg Stone Curlew and spoonbill simply because I wasn't allowed to go.

Mine my take some beating.

Holidaying at Dawlish Warren when I was in my early teens and too cool to take a walk to the bird hide with my dad. He came back and told me a bloke in there had put him onto a semi-palmated plover (2nd ever record for Britain I think?). If I only I'd known at the time. Bloody hormones.

Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush in the Black Hills last summer. It arrived right before my Japanese fellowship and was only the third or so record away from the US (and the first away from South Texas!)

Some fantastic stories! Real tales of heartbreak!
I think for me as well stopping birding for 5 years is my biggest missed opportunity. I'm pretty happy for my list considering I've only done 7 years serious birding but when I think of the birds I've missed it does get to me!
End of the day I think it was to the benefit of my future that I did stop, but does bug me sometimes.

The first twitchable Stone Curlew for Leics and Rutland in donkeys years turned up on MOD land on April 20th this year - the day I had arranged to take my father into hospital in York. It was very frustrating helping with arrangements for limited access knowing there was no way I would be able to take part. Still need it for my county list.

Steve

I was offered a place on a Morocco trip years ago but declined because of other committments. I thought, "I'll get there and see the Slender-billed Curlews sometime soon, they're there every year..."
Bad move on my part.

In the UK, I really couldn't be bothered going to see the Baillon's Crake at Sunderland in 1989 as I was only interested in local patch birding at Flamborough at the time. Now I've moved up to the Sunderland area and every tells me how it was pecking at their shoelaces and tripping over their tripods, I feel rather left out.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back