• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Dallas (1 Viewer)

ChrisLuv

Improving Birder
Hi,

I'm going to Dallas from the UK with work soon.

Can anyone give me any advice on good places to visit for birding? I am lucky enough to have a weekend to myself out there and thought I might as well take advantage of it and take my binoculars and camera. Ideally I wouldn't want to drive anywhere.

Also can anyone recommend any photogenic birds to particularly watch out for, I've never been to the US and so want to expand my gallery with some more exotic species.

Many Thanks,
Chris

Welcome to Dallas!

White Rock Lake in Dallas is a nice place to start.
Cedar Ridge Preserve and Cedar Hill State Park are also really good, but for some it's pretty far (around Duncanville). You can find the painted bunting down here.

I'm just a beginner myself, so I don't have many suggestions. But I've had a great time starting out here. I hope you enjoy it here.

Terry Ramsey, another BFer, really likes Village Creek Drying Beds near DFW airport - he's gotten a great variety of birds from there. I was sorely disappointed in not being able to get there this summer when visiting family.
I have heard good things about both Cedar Ridge and Ceder Hill, and got some nice Egrets, Herons and the Monk Parakeets at White Rock Lake 2 weeks ago.

Birding Around Dallas

You need to give at least a half day to the newly opened Trinity River Audubon Center. They have used the natural topography to create varied and attractive habitat as well as several miles of trails which makes access very easy.

Check their site on the net for more information and good directions. You can get there from downtown Dallas in 10-15 minutes.

Chris,
When are you going to arrive and how long will you have to bird? I bird the Village Creek Drying beds (actually in Arlington, Tex) at least 3 times a week and when you arrive will have a lot to do with the timing of what is out there - or any where really!! River Legacy Park here in Arlington is a reliable place to see Painted Buntings, Indigo Buntings, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, White-eyed Vireos, Carolia Wrens, etc. Cedar Ridge and Cedar Hill have been so-so for me, I never seem to hit them at the right time. I can think of several other places in the area, but it all depends on how much time you have. Let me know what kind of time frame you have and I can give you specifics. I have birded much of the surrounding areas and if I haven't been there, I know someone who probably has.

Looking for Kingfishers

Can anyone tell me a good place to search for Kingfishers in the Dallas area. I live in North Dallas. Has anyone seen any around here?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back