• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Montana 8.5x45 (1 Viewer)

Ah, my mistake Eitan. Will keep an eye out for the Everest 8x28s.

Frank, Eiten and Dennis:

This thread has seemed to go to the 8x25-28 size, and I am wondering if any
of you have tried the Bushnell 8x28 Excursion, that was mentioned here as a
nice low power pick last year, offered on the auction site @ $60. shipped.

I have that Bushnell, and I had to bring it out of temporary storage, to compare
it to some of my big guns, and this is a very nice binocular, much better than the little alpha pockets to use and the view is very good.

This Bushnell is to be regarded in a high value area. ;)
And if you know me, I do not hype anything.

For those wondering, If spending over $100. I would not go any further, without checking this one out.

Jerry

Jerry,

Eitan and I both own and regularly use the Excursion 8x28. I would agree with your assessment of it.

Frank. Did these Montana's 8.5x45 impress you more than the Zen Ray Prime's 8x42 optically or has it been too long since you looked through the Prime. Just your impression of them.

Dennis,

I would say that it is probably too long since I had the Prime. However, I do still have the Leupold McKinley which is more like the Prime than not optically. I will compare the two later this afternoon and let you know.

From past comparison I would say that they are alike in some ways...large sweet spot, for example. The McKinleys have a larger true and apparent field of view with a neutral to slightly warm color bias. The Montanas are slightly blue green-blue in color representation with excellent contrast and a slightly brighter image. A very natural view is the impression I get when I use the Montanas. I don't even notice the 345 foot field of view.

Frank, Eiten and Dennis:

This thread has seemed to go to the 8x25-28 size, and I am wondering if any
of you have tried the Bushnell 8x28 Excursion, that was mentioned here as a
nice low power pick last year, offered on the auction site @ $60. shipped.

I have that Bushnell, and I had to bring it out of temporary storage, to compare
it to some of my big guns, and this is a very nice binocular, much better than the little alpha pockets to use and the view is very good.
:eat: would not go any further, without checking this one out.

Jerry

Jerry - Unfortunately, the Bushnell 8x28 is long out of production and the eBay source that kept things afloat for a while has dried up. I searched for this model for a while because -- for all the reasons you note -- it seemed to fit my needs perfectly.

Thankfully I was able to find one thanks to a forum member here reaching out to me and selling his spare pair. It is indeed everything it was billed at, really a perfect car bin / hiking bin for my needs. Excellent optics for the price, and because of its larger size it handles more like a compact 8x32 than a "subcompact". I do notice the "purple haze" that some have noted but it's not a big deal, just makes them seem a little more dull than a more expensive optic but only really noticeable in side-by-side comparison. I may still try that Bresser 8x28 to see if I like it better, but the Bushnell more than serves my needs for the time being.

Unfortunately I very quickly had a build quality failure as the silly push-tab connection mechanism for the strap lug failed on my first real field outing. Still trying to decide if I want to send them in or just superglue it back together myself. I don't understand why they would try to engineer some unconventional solution to a problem that didn't need fixing... the standard metal loop affixed to the chassis is robust and fool-proof. But not a big deal.

Zombie thread: bringing it back from the dead.

The Montana specs are curiously close to those of the Leupold Northfork, for those inclined toward conspiracy.

The Montanas are one of a handful of binoculars that I truly wish I never had to return. Excellent apparent sharpness.

Nice find on the price change!

Now if that would just filter over on this side of the pond.

For US purchasers the price should exclude German VAT (sales tax), just ask, and would be approx $350.00 + shipping.

The same seller has this model $110.00 higher at their own webshop : http://www.astroshop.eu/bresser-binoculars-montana-8-5x45/p,21511.

The offer price looks like an ebay exclusive, and, in comparison to other prices on ebay.de and elsewhere, a good one.

Best wishes,

I've had the Bresser 10,5x45 since before Christmas but had to send it back this week because it gave me pain in the eyes and especially the right. I did some measurement and it was miscollimated just a bit but enough to give me trouble with my eyes. But if I hadn't had the trouble with the eyes i think it's one of the best binoculars i have tried in my search for a new binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back