• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars for semi-serious Costa Rica birding (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
My daughter and I went to Costa Rica for a week. We still go on trips with our grown kids till they are married.

So I signed up for a bus tour that went to all kinds of locations. The tourists, nearly all American, just wanted to see howler monkeys and sloths!

I took three pair with me. I was with my Nikon Monarch 5s at all sites, all river cruises (1-2 hrs on a simple covered boat). There was no need for a spotting scope. I only had 5:30-6:30 for serious birding each morning.

The 8x32 Pentax worked fine for my daughter as she uses glasses at times and they work well enough. The sports store 8x25s were just back up, but she used them at times when the 8x32 were too heavy for the whole day. They were useless in dawn or dusk. I had some trouble making out detail with the 8x42s even when the birds were already active. In the Arenal area the clouds created a fog in the morning. I was wiping the lenses every 5 seconds.

Came home with some 45 lifers and 75 species total. On a guided birding only tour you can get 30 birds in an hour and 60 in a day. But I IDd all but one pretty easily. One I took for a wren. It was a deep brown. I think it was a Chestnut-backed antbird. With my limited birding time, I had help with my daughter taking photos with a 30x pocket camera.

The one river cruise gave three new kingfishers. One I only saw. The other two the guide called out. My only birding competition was a lady with zoom binoculars who had trouble even with clay colored thrush/robin, the national bird! The other 40 on the tour were mostly clueless. They mostly had the Walmart 8x25s or a pair from Sears 40 years old. They oohed and aahed all the big birds and colorful mccaws etc. I was the only one to find a regular parrot.

Attachments

• costa rica optics.jpg
    costa rica optics.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 122
Tero,

Sounds like you and your daughter had a good time in Costa Rica, it's nice that you share the same hobby. Do your married kids still watch birds?

From what you've described, the 40 "clueless" tourists would still have been clueless even if they had better binoculars. But at least they got their money's worth by getting to see monkeys and sloths! ;)

Brock

My daughter was more interested in the Spanish part of the land culture, but we were immersed in the rainforest so she got a thrill out of that. She is a geographer and is involved with maps. So looking at the national parks and the farmed areas gave us an idea of the country. There are large areas of sugar cane, rice, coffee, pineapple and dairy farms. The traditional crops like grain and beans were hard to see.

I did have a personal Spanish speaker with me. Maybe I can talk her into another tour where we rent a car.

My daughter was more interested in the Spanish part of the land culture, but we were immersed in the rainforest so she got a thrill out of that. She is a geographer and is involved with maps. So looking at the national parks and the farmed areas gave us an idea of the country. There are large areas of sugar cane, rice, coffee, pineapple and dairy farms. The traditional crops like grain and beans were hard to see.

I did have a personal Spanish speaker with me. Maybe I can talk her into another tour where we rent a car.

I'm a big fan of National Geographic and have a dozen or so maps from that publication I've accumulated over the years. Maps help put your life into perspective. You mean, I'm not at the center of the universe? ;)

Touring the land by car would be preferable since you could go off the beaten path where the Walmart ladies wouldn't dare to venture and perhaps find rare species. Just make sure your daughter takes a map. You don't want to get lost in a rain forest!

Thanks for sharing that story.

Brock

Did you make it up to the Monteverde Rain Forest? I was wondering if you got a Quetzal? It is probably best to have at least an 8x42 under the canopy in the rain forests. I saw a lot of howlers and sloths on my last trip there. We saw quite a few crocodiles in the rivers and coastal areas also. It is amazing how noisy the rain forests and jungles are especially at night. They are just teaming with all sorts of different species of animals and insects. We took a night jungle walk with flashlights and it is really kind of creepy walking under the canopy in complete darkness looking at huge bugs and all kinds of weird animals.

Last edited:
No, not on the list. Actually, even the Arenal volcano stop was too brief too. Best bird was a macaw
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Tero1111/IMG_1523_zpsysdbkq80.jpg
howler
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Tero1111/howler_zpsxdjpmxi8.jpg

We had some cabins at a resort in the Arenal area, and it seemed like the entire jungle was running over the roof at night, some possibly inside the roof structure. Restless scuttling all night.
The Arenal area is very interesting area. We stayed at the base of the volcano and I saw quite a few parrots around there. I think the ride to Monteverde was one of the most arduous journey's I have ever been on and I have been on some pretty rough roads in Wyoming. I am glad we had a rental 4WD because the continuous washboard road with just awful small drop offs must have worked a few nuts and bolts loose on it. My wife lost it by the time we got there because of the combination of rough roads and TWISTY curves. It takes you about 6 hours to go 30 miles in Costa Rica. Costa Rica doesn't tax the residents like in the US so consequently the roads are in rough shape with a LOT of potholes. We saw a lot of Howlers in the jungles by Tamarindo ,as well as, crocodiles in the mangroves. Tamarindo is a coastal city. If you howl they will all start howling together back at you. Pretty funny. Costa Rica is a great close place to go and see some exotic birds and it is relatively safe. Take an 8x42 or 10x50 waterproof roof though.

Last edited:
We had a comfort ride. My extreme birding was at Big Bend Texas getting Colima Warbler, some miles up a mountain. I had some altitude/migraine thing after we came down. The others had ice cream, I took several hours to recover.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back