• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 Binocular successes and flops..... (1 Viewer)

The entire Maven line, B1, B2, and B3 are definite overachievers. In particular the B2. I owned all of the Swarovski's, still have the Mavens.

I've owned 'em all (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Meopta et al) much to my wife's dismay, and no binocular has been as genuinely enjoyably as the 9x Maven B2. i owe Steve big time for the review and recommendation - this is truly a stellar binocular.

W
Are you using the 15x56 handheld? If so, how do you get along with it?

Only handheld for very brief periods of time. As Lee stated above, 1-2 minutes or so not too bad, but would not want to hand hold ( or neck/ shoulder carry for that matter ) for too long. If I want to do a quick higher power look at the Eagles that winter across from me, or view the herons; or other wildlife etc., then the 15x conquests are not too bad. But I got them for mounted use, and that is how how I plan on using them- and obviously where they really shine.

I think the fixed power mounted view of 15x56 quality binoculars are superior to the view of a fixed 16-24x spotting scope. Even the WA view of my Nikon 24x60 EDIII spotting scope is to me no where near as relaxing.

Every optic has its pros/ cons and trade offs.

Chuck,
May I ask what you thought of the Cabela's Euro HD 8x32? I notice they're on sale.

For Cabela's current sale price....you probably can't beat it. It took me a while to get used to it them but I now really like them. Great optically. I paid $799 when I bought mine!

DSC_0149.JPG

Hey Geo, Thanks!

I think you made a great choice with the Leica UV HD. In fact I can't wait for you to get them.

So what have I TRIED during 2015? Personally....I count "trying" binoculars as owning them and taking them to the field. 2015 was a busy year. For the most part, I'm a 10X guy so I have a few including HT 10X42, SV 10X42, SV 10X32, Vortex Razor HD 10X42, and the Leica Trinovid 10X42. I bought a few 8Xs as well including the Vortex Viper HD 8X32(ANOTHER under achiever!) and 8X42, Cabela's Euro HD 8X32, Vanguard HD II 8X42, and last but certainly not least Leica UV HD + 8X42. I think that's it!;)

So yeah... I learned my lesson on checking boxes. The Trinovid checks no real box other than size. At least on paper. In the field it's optics absolutely hold its own with any 10X binocular I own.

I can't tell you how many times I have almost bought a Zeiss Conquest SOMETHING! Of course the Endeavor ED II is hard to beat for the money...

Hi Chuck--

So yes, the Leica UVHDs arrived, and my overall reaction is "wow." I intend to make a comparison with the Endeavors (and to a lesser extent, the Conquests) at some point down the road. But for right now, if I had to characterize the view, I would say "quiet, refined, beautiful." No they're not sharp to the edge. No, they don't have perfect CA control. But they're just so beautiful to look through. The image is bright but calm, highly detailed, beautifully colored, and almost totally free of any scattered light artifacts (crescents, veiling glare, etc.). The aesthetic quality of the image is something that doesn't make it into, say, an Allbinos review (they've got this bin rated below the Vanguard, for example). It's like tasting a fine wine, or hearing a familiar piece of music given a fresh and beautiful interpretation. It makes you want to pick up the binocular, rather than leave it on the shelf.

The focuser is smooth with no slop, a bit slower than the Conquest, and while stiffer (the Conquest has the lightest focuser touch I've encountered), it is easy to use and gives a feeling of precision. The binocular balances very nicely in my hands. And most importantly perhaps, it is easy to look through. No fussing with blackouts or proper eye placement.

I'm very happy with them in this initial period. After I've had some time with them, perhaps I'll have nitpicks--we'll see. But they're certainly a cut above anything else I've looked through, save perhaps the Zeiss HT with which I had a few moments in a camera store.

-Geo.

Thanks, Chuck.
I've been trying out the EuroHD 10x32's and they're very nice. I really didn't expect them to be given the small EP, but the store was out of 8x's, so I though I'd give them a spin. I ordered the 8x's online and just received them today. I expected higher contrast, brightness and color vibrancy than the 10x, however, surprisingly, they fell short. They also had much higher CA than the 10x's. A real disappointment, obviously. Upon inspection with a small flashlight, I noticed contamination on the internal optical surfaces on the right side (which also corresponds to my dominant eye); either that, or damaged optical coating - cloudy and blotchy. That probably explains the poor performance. I sent them back and am awaiting a replacement. -Mark

Hi Chuck--

So yes, the Leica UVHDs arrived, and my overall reaction is "wow." I intend to make a comparison with the Endeavors (and to a lesser extent, the Conquests) at some point down the road. But for right now, if I had to characterize the view, I would say "quiet, refined, beautiful." No they're not sharp to the edge. No, they don't have perfect CA control. But they're just so beautiful to look through. The image is bright but calm, highly detailed, beautifully colored, and almost totally free of any scattered light artifacts (crescents, veiling glare, etc.). The aesthetic quality of the image is something that doesn't make it into, say, an Allbinos review (they've got this bin rated below the Vanguard, for example). It's like tasting a fine wine, or hearing a familiar piece of music given a fresh and beautiful interpretation. It makes you want to pick up the binocular, rather than leave it on the shelf.

The focuser is smooth with no slop, a bit slower than the Conquest, and while stiffer (the Conquest has the lightest focuser touch I've encountered), it is easy to use and gives a feeling of precision. The binocular balances very nicely in my hands. And most importantly perhaps, it is easy to look through. No fussing with blackouts or proper eye placement.

I'm very happy with them in this initial period. After I've had some time with them, perhaps I'll have nitpicks--we'll see. But they're certainly a cut above anything else I've looked through, save perhaps the Zeiss HT with which I had a few moments in a camera store.

-Geo.

Awesome! You know your description is pretty dang ACCURATE! :t:
Are yours 10X42s? 8X42s? I know you bought them used(eBay?), so they are in good shape??

Both of my Leica's...the focus adjustment is really nice. About the perfect amount of effort. And of course the perfect diopter adjustment!

DSC00538.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, Chuck.
I've been trying out the EuroHD 10x32's and they're very nice. I really didn't expect them to be given the small EP, but the store was out of 8x's, so I though I'd give them a spin. I ordered the 8x's online and just received them today. I expected higher contrast, brightness and color vibrancy than the 10x, however, surprisingly, they fell short. They also had much higher CA than the 10x's. A real disappointment, obviously. Upon inspection with a small flashlight, I noticed contamination on the internal optical surfaces on the right side (which also corresponds to my dominant eye); either that, or damaged optical coating - cloudy and blotchy. That probably explains the poor performance. I sent them back and am awaiting a replacement. -Mark

The latest binocular I bought was a SV 10x32(only 10x32 I have) on kind of a whim...a good deal in other words! I too was so surprised at how user-friendly they really were! I actually took them birding in Grand Cayman... it was easy to see the bananaquit!

IMG_6087.JPG

I actually did a little "test" of sorts with the Euro HDs...mainly "low-light" test while reading an eye chart at time intervals at dusk. I was able to read at LEAST one line smaller with the Euro HDs than some really good 8X42s. So maybe the 32 vs. 42 mm debate doesn't carry as much water as I once thought it did.

Sorry to hear about YOUR Euro HDs... I know it's a bummer when you anticipate something and it falls short. Cabela's has a great warranty, part of the reason I bought mine. HOPEFULLY they will get you a new pair to you quickly and they will be everything you thought they'd be.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back