• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grub Screws (1 Viewer)

trancework

I am having problems with grub screws that have lost their flat head.
I have two restoration projects going now and I am stalled because of broken
grub screws.
Both looked previously attacked by someone and both have lost their flat head and my screwdriver cannot get a purchase on them at all.
My question is does anyone have any little tricks to get a broken grub screw out and where do I find replacement grub screws from?
Both binoculars are Zeiss and I am so stuck so any advice would be appreciated.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

I am having problems with grub screws that have lost their flat head.
I have two restoration projects going now and I am stalled because of broken
grub screws.
Both looked previously attacked by someone and both have lost their flat head and my screwdriver cannot get a purchase on them at all.
My question is does anyone have any little tricks to get a broken grub screw out and where do I find replacement grub screws from?
Both binoculars are Zeiss and I am so stuck so any advice would be appreciated.

View attachment 570377

Hi, you will need to carefully drill the damaged screws out with either a fine 1.0mm or 1.5mm drill, best try with the smaller drill first. Sometimes setting the drill to go counter clockwise will undo it, depends on how fast they are stuck or if corroded. Surplusshed in the US had grub screws but I just looked on their site and they don't seem to be there now, may be worth emailing them to see if they have any left around. I see you are in London, if you PM me, I can spare about 6 grub screws, one 1.0mm drill, one 1.5mm drill, and will post them to you if that is enough for your job? Regards, Ben

Ps: Another thing that sometimes helps loosen screws is to apply a little WD40 with a cotton bud, then apply some heat to the screw head with a fine solder iron or heated metal point / or old screwdriver. The heat helps the WD penetrate, worth doing this before trying anything else and will also help even if you eventually resort to the drill.

Last edited:
Try: http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/HobBitsScrews although you may need to mail-order from a store in the US or Canada. They or a similar product may also be found in hobby stores specializing in model railroads supplies. The screws are small and will fit numerous binoculars but will need to be cut to correct length and slotted.

Another source of grub screws is pre-WW II parts binoculars. The French ones can be had pretty cheaply.

Last edited:
I would try what Bencw suggests with the WD-40 and heat. SOMETIMES, just sometimes, you can get a screw like that to come out if you can hold the small drill bit tight to the screw head and REVERSE the drill. If there is any roughness to the screw head and if the screw is not frozen too hard the screw might back out. You may also be careful enough to get a hole drilled partly through the screw. At that point you may be able to get purchase on the sides of the hole using a slightly over sized screwdriver and get it out then.

Hey thanks everyone for the help and the kind offers. I WD the screws and then blasted them with a hot screwdriver. I used a 1mm bit and got both of them out. I then salvaged some grub screws from some scrap binoculars. You have been amazing in your kind helpful offers and responses.

Ben!!! Thank for your offer of the screws and bits to help me, as you can see I resolved this with yours and everyone's help. You are way too generous. 😃

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back