• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying new Binoculars (1 Viewer)

sol1962

I looking for some new binoculars. I know it's been ask many times, but could do with some advice. I'm looking for 8x42 in any make and price is not a problem. Any recommendations would be welcome as there is so much to choose from.
Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask.

Last edited:
I looking for some new binoculars. I know it's been ask many times, but could do with some advice. I'm looking for 8x42 in any make and price is not a problem. Any recommendations would be welcome as there is so much to choose from.
I would try the Leica Ultravid plus, Swarovski Swarovision SV and the Zeiss SF in 8x42 and see which one you prefer. You won't go wrong with any one of them.

Hi sol1962, and welcome:

With a thousand brands and models on the planet--and almost as many opinions--the following may be of some use to you. Cheers, and good hunting. :cat:

1 “WHICH IS BETTER?”

The Fallacy: There must be a logical/quantifiable answer.

The Fact: There is no answer; there are too many variables and levels of perception.

When considering the purchase of a new binocular, or comparing binoculars with a friend, people invariably ask, “Which is better?” When this happens, most mentors can be at a loss for words, as the question calls for many answers—many more than the questioner had considered.

Still, the new binocular buff finds the phrase cropping up again and again, with respect to aperture, magnification, prism type, anti-reflective coatings, type of focus mechanism, and more. The list may drag on as the observer tries to decide which features are most important to his or her viewing pleasure, and which are being described accurately. Even so, without the potential buyer stating definite preferences—on which he or she usually has yet to decide—the answer is elusive.

The first thing one must decide is just what constitutes “good,” “better,” or “best.” Is it light grasp, aberration control, weight, glare suppression, color rendition, watertight integrity, near perfect collimation, or any one of a handful of other considerations?

Example: Two observers might ask if a certain binocular will provide a “good view” of Mount Rainier (It’s a Seattle kind ‘a thing). To the first observer the question means, “Can I see mountain goats from my office on the 21st floor of the Columbia Center?” To the second it means: “Can I get a view of the mountain with at least 10 or so miles on either side?”

Both versions of “good” are valid and may represent the exact goal the observer has in mind. However, while one shopper has realistic expectations, the other expects a level of magnification and resolution that is unrealistic for a handheld binocular.

Photo, Illustration, or Comment Photos of Wide Field of Mt. Rainier AND High Mag View

In the course of preparing this entry, I went to the BirdForum website, and looking at the first two pages of posts saw the following titles:

* A couple of hundred bucks
* Binocular bargains?
* Any binocular recommendation for a beginner?
* Best at 10x at $300-$500?
* What is your favorite 8x42 binocular for less than $1,000?
* Binoculars for under $100
* What is the best roof prism and Porro prism binoculars for birding?
* Best modern medium $$ Porro choices today in 8x32?
* UK Binocular deals, special offers, and bargains
* Best overall 7x?
* Help me choose my first binocular
* Searching for a good 10x25 …

with eight more posts related to comparing this binocular to that binocular.

My computer is set up to allow 25 entries per screen. That means within the 50 posts shown on those two pages, 40% were to inquire “Which is best.” Or, possibly: “How does this compare with that?” If I had surveyed a hundred pages, I doubt the percentage would have changed much.

Do I suppose by pointing to this folly it will eventually go away? No. Nor would I want it to. I hope only to convince questioners to let others have a better idea about their goals from the outset. It’s helpful when speaking with friends and critical when speaking with a binocular salesperson. “Which is the best …,” is an enormous question. Yet, it shrinks to manageable proportions when the questioner allows their counselor to know how, when, and under what conditions the instrument will be used.

Too often, someone new to observing will take as gospel the review of a binocular written by a person enamored with only one or two facets of its construction or performance. This is not a valid gauge. A binocular is a composite of all the aspects of its mechanical and optical performance, and basing desires on one or two, especially in lower quality instruments, can be a recipe for regret.

This is just as true concerning manufacturers or importers.

Side 2 of phase 1, approaching.

Ask 25 people, get 50 answers. My answer would be go look through a bunch and decide whats best for you. Might be a $75 Leupold Yosemite, might be a $2,000 Leica

Ask 25 people, get 50 answers. My answer would be go look through a bunch and decide whats best for you. Might be a $75 Leupold Yosemite, might be a $2,000 Leica

There ya go with all that LOGIC crap, again! You Texans are all alike. Of course, it's SO true. :cat:

Pecos Bill, over and out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back