• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat ID Spain (1 Viewer)

Adam M

Hi Folks,

Just back from Tossa de mar, near Girona, and I need some help with IDing a bat I heard on the detector there. It was audible to the human ear and I picked it up around 20kHz. There was a really distinct call, like individual intense chirps/pangs that were the bits we could hear; making us confuse it for some kind of cricket until we turned the detector on. Any ideas on the ID?? I will try to upload the video at some point, or find a way to link to it if the data allowances on here don't allow me to upload it direct.

We also picked up another species way up at 130kHz, sadly I didn't film the detector for that one. Any suggestions for the ID of that one would be great.

The habitat for both was mature woodland, mixed with some more open spots with lower shrubs.

I understand that's not a lot to go on at the moment, but thought I would get the ball rolling incase both are quite obvious to those in the know.

Thanks in advance

Adam

I'm no expert but you might look into the low frequency one being European Free-tailed Bat, which is supposed to be human-audible.

The other one might be a harmonic unless of course it was a continuous warble in which case maybe Lesser Horseshoe?

John

Thanks for that. It turns out I can't get the video on here. When I get chance I'll find somewhere else to post it and link to it instead.

Are there any good websites for listening to calls of European bats? I can't seem to find any.

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back