• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (3 Viewers)

More from today

including the mushroom!!!!

obviously didn't get invited to the party cos he wasn't a fungi to be with 8-P

sorry!

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpg
    IMG_3864.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3886.jpg
    IMG_3886.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3901.jpg
    IMG_3901.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 23
Amazing bright start to the morning, not a cloud when I got there (didn't last), took path past visitor centre, into wood and along railway line, 6* willow warbler, 2* Great Tit, 1* Blue Tit, 7* Long Tailed Tit, 8* Chaffinch and a whitethroat, as I turned the corner at the end of the 'L' just before the railway line a Grey Squirrel appeared, as I stood motionless it approached me all the way down the path until at about 6ft away it went into the bushes and circled around me coming out 6ft behind me.
Lots of Common Darter, Speckled Wood and a Hawker and a Peacock on the same path along with a lot of spider & webs and lots of ladybirds. In the mown meadow just before the lake were 3 rabbits feeding.

The lake was awash with Canada Geese, well over 100, the noise was er... loud... 20 odd tufted duck, 20+ Mallard with 4* ducklings and a few Shovelers visible across the far side. Cormorant island had a Cormorant on it
Heard the Sparrowhawk a few times and finally saw it make a sweep of the lake as I got to the old hide end.

The scrapes were disappointingly empty and as the clouds had now blotted out the sun and the temperature had dropped by 10 degrees I headed back with little to see. I did spot something across the meadow, so spent some time creeping up on it to avoid scaring it only to find it was a 8 inch Mushroom and unlike everything else it didnt fly off just as I got it in focus :)

As I was driving back along the A1185 towards Billingham another Sparrowhawk flew parallel with me for about 100yds before heading north across the fields

Attachments

• IMG_3841.jpg
    IMG_3841.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3859.jpg
    IMG_3859.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 23
Ray the fungi is a Shaggy ink cap (Coprinus comatus).
Driving from Seaton Carew towards Newburn Bridge the roadside verge (on the seaward side) normally has hundreds of these. The best spot is beside the toilet block.
At Cowpen there are some great fungi in amongst the trees just past the old hide at the scrapes (where the path goes left to the lake and right downhill towards the bridge.
You need to get in amongst the undergrowth though and a pair of protective glasses is worth wearing as there is quite a lot of blackthorn in there.

Attachments

• shaggy_inkcap-00005.jpg
    shaggy_inkcap-00005.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 26
  • shaggy_inkcap-00016.jpg
    shaggy_inkcap-00016.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I somehow missed you Ray. I was there this morning as well. A great pose to catch the squirrel in. I've been seeing the odd one or two lately around the hide on the lake and sometimes on the roof.

Bright and sunny for the first hour or so but it really clouded in after that and never showed any sign of brightening again.

Starting off I headed up the cycleway from the car park. Quite a few birds in the hedges and trees alongside the sewage works - Whitethroat, Dunnock, LTT, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Robin and Wren plus two Yellowhammer. A few Goldfinch and 4-5 Bullfinch in the willow overhaning the path just before Cloff Bridge. A Kestrel flew onto the pylon opposite the tree.

In the trees after Cloff Bridge I could only find Great Tit, Blue Tit, Crow, Magpie and pigeons. Goldfinch and Linnet were flying overhead.

Swallow c.40 were in the horse paddocks though mostly staying pretty distant. A flock of Linnet c.20 were on the grass by where they were resting on the fence.

Wheatear x4 were sat around on the hay bales in the field opposite using them as perches to catch flies from. Meadow Pipit x2 doing the same thing.

Nothing new seen heading back to Cloff Bridge and down Claxton Beck to the lake. I could hear the geese on the lake from Cloff Bridge area and there seemed to be more arriving every few minutes. By the time I got to the lake there were 250+ - all Canada Geese.

Also on the lake were Cormorant x1, Pochard x2, Shoveler c.12, Gadwall c.12, Mallard c.100, Little Grebe x5, LBB Gull x2 plus the usual Moorhen and Coot.

Overhead were several Swallow, Sand Martin. A male Kestrel and a female Sparrowhawk were having a right ding-dong from one end of the lake to the other before disappearing from view over the hill.

Not many insects seen today. A few dragonflies seen along the grassy path and around the lake including Common Hawker x2 (m&f), Migrant Hawker c.6 and lots of Common Darter. Just a few Speckled Wood butterflies.

Attachments

• IMG_8830ao.jpg
    IMG_8830ao.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8872aoo.jpg
    IMG_8872aoo.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8923bo.jpg
    IMG_8923bo.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9033ao.jpg
    IMG_9033ao.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9063aoo.jpg
    IMG_9063aoo.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 24
A few more from today.

Attachments

• IMG_8841ao.jpg
    IMG_8841ao.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8970ao.jpg
    IMG_8970ao.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8997aoo.jpg
    IMG_8997aoo.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9052aoo.jpg
    IMG_9052aoo.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8857ao.jpg
    IMG_8857ao.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 21
A brief visit today at lunchtime on my way home for lunch.

Only having an hour I headed straight over to the lake. Much the same as yesterday though only around 150 Canada Geese. One had a white neck which the Swans really didn't like - they never stopped chasing it around the whole time I was there. Must have thought it was another Swan!

Swallow x6 over the lake plus Sand Martin x6 and Swift x3.

More numerous today were the dragonflies with Migrant Hawker just about everywhere with six by the hide scrapes alone. Common Hawker x5 and Brown Hawker x2 and a single very active Black Darter - first I've seen this summer but couldn't get a photo. Lots of Common Darter and damselflies everywhere.

Bullfinch c.6 flew into the trees by the hide but were difficult to spot.

Attachments

• IMG_9255ao.jpg
    IMG_9255ao.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9271aoo.jpg
    IMG_9271aoo.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9333bo.jpg
    IMG_9333bo.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9373ao.jpg
    IMG_9373ao.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9409ao.jpg
    IMG_9409ao.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 30
A bit of a grey day for a wander around the park. Overcast skies untill almost lunchtime with gusty winds. On the plus side it was quite mild.

Starting off from the car park I followed the hardcore track to the lake. Nothing of note seen on the way though I met some people on the way who'd seen a Kingfisher perched on the beck by the wooden hump-backed bridge at the end of the boardwalk.

The lake was very quiet compared to my last few visits. It seemed odd that all of the birds were well out from the banks the whole way around and even the Mallard were reluctant to approach me at first for a free feed. Something or someone must have upset them.

No sign of any Gadwall and no Shoveler. Even Mallard and Coot numbers were well down. Still some Canada Geese. There just a looked a few at first inspection but I was surprised to count 71 in total. Cormorant x4 were stood on the rocky island which is unusually high for here. One looked to be on it's own but the other three appeared an adult and two juveniles which all kept together whilst feeding. All of the Little Grebe were out feeding today with two groups of four. A young Sparrowhawk came flying along the bank veering away and over the lake when it saw me. Several Swallow and House Martin were overhead.

Plenty of Migrant Hawker and Common Darter along the paths but nothing at all on the scrapes by the hide when I arrived. A few Speckled Wood and Red Admiral around as well.

I followed Claxton Beck up to Cloff Bridge and then checked along the cycleway to the right seeing very little other than a few Sand Martin and Swallow. Only Crow and Magpie on the bales. Pied Wagtail and Linnet and Goldfinch were on the horse paddocks.

I back tracked to Cloff Bridge and from there to the gate into Fath Wood was very active with birds in the hedges on both sides of the path. Probably around 40 birds - mostly they were Long-tailed Tit but also present were Willow Warbler, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Wren, Linnet, Magpie and Blackbird. A Kestrel landed on the pylon opposite. Quite a few Migrant Hawker both in flight and perched on the bushes.

Around 11.00am the sun came out and I headed back over to the hide scrapes. Several Migrant Hawker over the scrapes plus two Brown Hawker one of which was ovipositing. At least one Common Hawker several Common Darter and a fleeting glimpse of a mature Black Darter. One they move they're difficult to follow. Linnet, Robin, Chaffinch and Bullfinch were in the trees above the hide.

Nothing else new seen heading back to the car park.

Attachments

• IMG_0163ao.jpg
    IMG_0163ao.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0227ao.jpg
    IMG_0227ao.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0245ao.jpg
    IMG_0245ao.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0282ao.jpg
    IMG_0282ao.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0081ao.jpg
    IMG_0081ao.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 31
Had a visit today, didn't see a great deal except for a really tiny newt/lizard thing and a kingfisher a few times. It was the usual kingfisher sounds and flybys, but I did hear it slapping away (presuming giving a fish some stick) on the way out just past the pylon. Peered over the edge whilst trying not to make much noise. Saw the perch move and then it flew out into a bush/tree a few yards, where it again flew off just as I was about to take a photo. Have had that effect on them lately, pretty sure there's a new kingfisher sprog at my local park (Billingham Beck Ecology Park) - is incredibly dull, small and there's a lot more kingfisher chatter than usual.

Anyways looks like the weather is looking set for the rest of the week, just as I'm going away Friday-Sunday for Scrabble. Figures.

I called in this afternoon again as well.

On the whole things were pretty quiet especially away from the lake area unless you fell lucky with where the birds were. I certainly did with Spotted Flycatcher x10!

Two were in a willow tree where Claxton Beck meets Cow Bridge Beck. Two in the trees on the side of the hill facing the lake and a group of six in Faith Wood in trees on west side of Cow Bridge Beck from the lake. Also in the same area Mistle Thrush, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Common Whitethroat with the Blackcap, Whitethroat and Mistle Thrush feeding on brambles and elderberries. There were more Spotted Flycatcher deeper into Faith Wood which you could see flying up to take flies every now and again.

A mixed flock c.40 was in the lake side bushes comprising LTT, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Chaffinch.

Dragonflies were good off and on around the scrapes and on the lake in front of the hide. One minute loads of them and the next even Common Darter hard to find - Common Hawker, Migrant Hawker, Southern Hawker, Brown Hawker, Ruddy Darter, Common Darter, Black Darter and Emerald Damselflies. It the third visit I've seen Black Darter but the first time I've seen male and female and first time this year I've managed a photo of them.

A large flock of hirundines c.50 comprising Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin - over the lake on an off. Cormorant x4 again but only one Canada Goose today.

Also several sightings of Sparrowhawk, Kestrel and Kingfisher.

Attachments

• IMG_0642ao.jpg
    IMG_0642ao.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0734ao.jpg
    IMG_0734ao.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0952ao.jpg
    IMG_0952ao.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0930ao.jpg
    IMG_0930ao.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0441ao.jpg
    IMG_0441ao.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 27
We were there this morning Ian, it really was a dragonfly fest, the path through the wood leading to the railway line had plenty of mixed darters and hawkers, too many to count at one point.
The scraped had 8+ hawkers and a number of darters ovipositing, we didnt get to see the black darter but others we met there had.
We did manage to get a mating pair of hawkers this time though, eventually they landed on a rush for about 15 minutes for pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3973.jpg
    IMG_3973.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3979.jpg
    IMG_3979.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 27
It the third visit I've seen Black Darter but the first time I've seen male and female and first time this year I've managed a photo of them.
If that photo is the one in your post Ian then I'm more than certain that the female is a common darter.
Easiest pointer is that the female black darter (or the male) doesn't have the yellow stripe down the leg, nor the individual black dot/stripe on each segment.

Attachments

• black_darter-00013.jpg
    black_darter-00013.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
If that photo is the one in your post Ian then I'm more than certain that the female is a common darter.
Easiest pointer is that the female black darter (or the male) doesn't have the yellow stripe down the leg, nor the individual black dot/stripe on each segment.

You're right John. I didn't look that closely at the female as it was in tandem with the male Black Darter being dragged around! Maybe he's a little short sighted or couldn't find a mate and was getting desperate!

The females yellow stripes on the legs are clear on the full sized image as is the small yellow area at the wing base.

No sign of any Spotted Flycatcher today or much of anything else apart from dragonflies. Several Migrant Hawker, Common Hawker and Brown Hawker on the scrapes.

I hesitate to mention a 'possible' Spotted Crake. First heard calling 'huitt' several times from the side of the grassy bank by the large reedy scrape particularly when a Magpie flew into the nearby crab apple tree. I didn't recognise the call at all, though I've never seen/heard one before.

A few minutes later I walked down Cow Bridge Beck across the ridge from the scrapes when what I initially thought was a Water Rail scooted out from the long grass just in front of me taking flight for 15m before landing in the long grass again. Clearly seen in good light with the sun behind me from the back. Back and wings brown with black markings the back darker than the wings and both appeared pale fringed feathers, green dangling legs, short pale greenish tinge with reddish base to bill. Pale buffy rear with cocked tail. When I reached that point and looked in the grass it flew out again veering back over the ridge towards the scrapes. Can't say I noticed any prominent grey on side of head so maybe a young bird.

After later hearing the call online and from what I saw it's hard to imagine it being anything else.

had a brief look around this morning around 6.30 am only birds of note where 2 spotted flycatchers feeding near the lake which were chased off by a male sparrowhawk.

had a brief look around this morning around 6.30 am only birds of note where 2 spotted flycatchers feeding near the lake which were chased off by a male sparrowhawk.

No sign of them when I called in at lunchtime for about an hour. Very little about at all really - no sign of the Spotted Crake today.

Only LTT, Bullfinch and Blue Tit seen away from the lake.

Wigeon x8 new arrivals and reappearance of Gadwall x10 and Shoveler x8.

Even dragonflies were pretty lacking. Brown Hawker in front of the hide, Common Hawker and Migrant Hawker over the scrapes plus Ruddy Darter and Common Darter.

A Barn Owl was seen again two nights ago by one of the wardens flying over the car park towards the lake.

No sign of them when I called in at lunchtime for about an hour. Very little about at all really - no sign of the Spotted Crake today.

Only LTT, Bullfinch and Blue Tit seen away from the lake.

Wigeon x8 new arrivals and reappearance of Gadwall x10 and Shoveler x8.

Even dragonflies were pretty lacking. Brown Hawker in front of the hide, Common Hawker and Migrant Hawker over the scrapes plus Ruddy Darter and Common Darter.

A Barn Owl was seen again two nights ago by one of the wardens flying over the car park towards the lake.

it was unbelievably quiet (bird wise) when i spent about an hour or so there this morning ian, didnt see a single bird until the lake. i didn't know 100% until i was home that they were spotted flycatchers but after reading how they feed and often return to the same perch it was exactly what these 2 were doing until the sparrowhawk came along that is. they were in the bushes on the side of the lake where there always seem to be alot of wood pidgeons. first time id seen a spotted flycatcher.

hope the spotted crake turns up again !

dean

A beautiful sunny morning for a wander around, not too hot either thanks to the light cool breeze.

Pretty quiet really just about everywhere for both birds and insects but a few highlights still.

A fair bit of twittering from the hedges walking up the cycleway from the car park. Blue Tit mainly but also Wren, Robin and Blackbird at least.

On reaching the top end of Faith Wood there were a few more birds around with a dozen or so Linnet and Goldfinch. Mistle Thrush x4 flew from the wood onto the pylon opposite the overhanging willow and paused several minutes before heading over to the trees along Claxton Beck.

On reaching Cloff Bridge the LTT flock was around again. 8.30am seems a good time to see them here. Only around 20 today but I think I caught them mid-movement as they were heading into Faith Wood from the trees on the north side of the bridge. Several Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch x4 and at least two Chiffchaff. Whilst watching them a Kingfisher flew by heading up the beck.

Also four Swallow overhead and a few House Martin.

As usual there was little to see heading down Claxton Beck. Robin x2, Greenfinch x4, Linnet and Goldfinch were all calling/singing in the trees above the hide. Bullfinch 3-4 in the same trees and moving between the berry bushes on the other side of the scrapes.

No insects at all on the scrapes when I arrived but it was a little early still so I headed around the lake to the benches and sat feeding the ducks a while. The lake was pretty quiet again. Most notable were Cormorant x4, Wigeon x6 and Canada Goose x5. Whilst sat a Sparrowhawk lazily circled overhead moving south to norh over the bankside bushes giving excellent views.

Around 11.00am I headed back towards the scrapes coming across a Southern Hawker by the NE corner of the lake. Obligingly it landed on some thistles on the edge of the path posing nicely in the sun.

Continuing towards the hide several Migrant Hawker were over the path and Common Blue x2, Large White, Comma, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood.

A GSW flew into the larch tree tops to feed before eventually moving into the trees on the side of the hill. At least two of them present.

The scrapes were still very quiet. Eventually though a few made brief appearances on and off - Migrant Hawker x3 one an ovipositing female, Common Hawker x1, Brown Hawker x1 which was mostly over the lake in front of the hide. Only two Common Darter seen there.

Heading back over to the car park the ponds there held Brown Hawker x2, Common Hawker and several Migrant Hawker and Common Darters.

It sounds like just after I left an adult Hobby passed through as reported on TBC web site.

Attachments

• IMG_2447ao.jpg
    IMG_2447ao.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2552ao.jpg
    IMG_2552ao.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2583ao.jpg
    IMG_2583ao.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2709ao.jpg
    IMG_2709ao.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2968ao.jpg
    IMG_2968ao.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 63
Last visit for a few days.

A pretty dismal morning starting off with heavy cloud and light drizzle on and off. Typically just as I was heading home the sun came out all of a sudden! I lingered a while longer as it brought out the dragonflies but bird wise things were very quiet indeed.

I won't bother with details of where I went as to be honest the only place I saw any birds other than the lake was the cycleway bridge over Cow Bridge Beck and in the feeding station!

At Cow Bridge Beck a flock of around a dozen LTT came out of the west side wood following the beck into the sewage works. Several Great Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch and Greenfinch with them.

When I arrived at the park I put some peanuts and sunflower hearts in the feeding station before going for a wander around. By the time I returned all the peanuts had been taken. 20 minutes after putting out some more a pair of Robins appeared which took sunflower hearts followed by several Great Tit and Blue Tit. LTT x2 took food from the tree feeder and a GSW briefly stopped off in that teee but didn't feed. On the ground were two Wren and a Dunnock flitting about. Everything scattered though when a weasel came sauntering through.

Even the lake was quiet. Very few Mallard or Coot. Cormorant x4 again and Little Grebe x5. Several Swallow and House Martin passed through and a GSW flew along the path between the lake and the railway whilst I was sat at the twin benches.

Prior to the sun coming out I'd seen a Southern Hawker in the SE corner and one or two Migrant Hawker. Even a Brown Hawker in front of the lower bench on the east side. Once the sun appeared though there were dozens of Migrant Hawker about, two Southern Hawker, two Common Hawker and three Brown Hawker. Only Common Darter and Ruddy Darter seen.

Attachments

• filtered_IMG_5199a.JPG
    filtered_IMG_5199a.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 34
  • filtered_IMG_4153b.JPG
    filtered_IMG_4153b.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 34
  • filtered_IMG_4225a.JPG
    filtered_IMG_4225a.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 37
  • filtered_IMG_5228a.JPG
    filtered_IMG_5228a.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 41
  • filtered_IMG_5351a.JPG
    filtered_IMG_5351a.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 44
A lovely sunny day for a change and a very pleasant wander around this morning for a couple of hours.

As usual not a lot to see between the car park and the lake. The lake was pretty quiet as well. The most notable bird was a Kingfisher in the SW corner vying for it's fishing perch with a Woodpigeon. They chased each other off a couple of times but the Kingfisher lost out when a second Woodpigeon landed on the perch! The Kingfisher had to make do with sitting in a hawthorn bush.

As I reached the NE corner another Kingfisher landed on a perch just above water level - so there's definitely at least two around though there could be more as when I reached the hide a Kingfisher flew over from Cow Bridge Beck and over the top of the reeds along the north side of the lake towards the railway. Yet another sighting on Claxton Beck a few minutes later of one carrying a fish downstream. Four sightings within 15 minutes!

Just one Canada Goose on the lake that was very freindly coming close to feed with the Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. Several Little Grebe, Shoveler and Coot rpesent and a single Cormorant though another passed overhead as I reached the lake. A Sparrowhawk was in the corner by the hide. A few Swallow and Houise Martin over the lake as well.

Lots of Robin around singing today - I stopped counting at 37!

A few dragonflies around as well with several Migrant Hawker and at least two Common Hawker. Common Darter and Ruddy Darter on the scrapes.

Not a lot else seen in Faith Wood or along the cycleway heading back to the car park.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back