• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 vs. Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 ? (1 Viewer)

ZDHart

United States
I'm considering these two bins and haven't been able to compare them in person.

The specs that I have come up with are:

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32
Claimed light transmission ? 90-95% ?
Focus Turns 1.25 revolutions
Field of View 420 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 16 mm
Close Focus 4.9 feet
Weight 22.2 ounces
Dimensions (H x W) 4.9 x 4.5 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

Cabelas Euro HD 8x32
Claimed 99.9% Light transmission (wha????)
Focus Turns ?
Field of View 417 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief minimum of 4.2mm
Close Focus 9.8 feet (users claim 5.5 feet is the accurate spec here)
Weight 21.1 ounces
Dimensions (H x W) 4.8 x ? inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on comparing these two.

Can the Cabelas/Meopta really achieve 99.9% light transmission with these?

I gather that the Cabelas Euro HD are essentially the same as the Meopta Meostar 8x32 bins.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

Last edited:
My gut says the Euro HD would be a HECK of a piece of glass, but the 99.9% figure came straight from the marketing department.

I'm a newbie in binoculars but I don't know of any bin that averages higher than the Victory HTs (?) across the spectrum at "more than 95%"...

Also, not sure how to read that eye relief measurement... (?)

The 99.9% almost certainly refers to the roof prism coatings reflectivity, not the actual light transmission of the whole optical system.

That said, a cursory search turned up a thread on this exact comparison - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=267809

It's hard to find a bad word spoken about either one. The worst you will find is that the Euro/Meostar had too small eyecups. I think (like many comparisons) it's one that will simply come down to ergonomic preferences.

Just a few words on the Meostar. The CA is not much of a problem, but the yellow can be distracting at times. The Euro HD has a better colour rendition from what I have read here.
The eyecups are small and short, so they don't provide much to support the eyebrows on.
This is not a problem when using spectacles, and the eye relief is sufficient for me when using specs with a normal fit.

Apart from the eyecup issue, which is not an issue for me, their ergonomics are superior.
Everything is in the right place, a firm and secure grip can be obtained with a variety of hand positions and the compact build style without protruding parts is ingeniously constructed.

So despite the colour issue I really, really like mine and when Meopta releases the HD under their own brand, I'll swap the old for it.

//L

Ergonomically the Meopta 8x32 is one of my favourites. Just seems to fit my hands perfectly. Wearing glasses the eyecup thing Eitan mentions is not an issue, but if you are inclined to jam binoculars into the eye socket then it's probably not one for you. I found it easy to adjust the distance for comfortable use in practice when I tried it as I already did this for another bino I owned.

Unfortunately Cabellas (or Meopta's) HD version hasn't reached our shores. The non-HD I'd place on the same step as the Vortex Viper HD for optical quality. The 10x42 HD I tried was much sharper than the standard model. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is the same improvement with the 8x32.

I liked the Conquest HD 8x32 a lot, but the sample I tried was not as sharp as the 8x42 I tried along side. I suspect for me it's going to be a very close choice between the two when the time comes. Perhaps size of sweetspot vs. ergonomics? Something you can only judge for yourself.

David

My gut says the Euro HD would be a HECK of a piece of glass, but the 99.9% figure came straight from the marketing department.

I'm a newbie in binoculars but I don't know of any bin that averages higher than the Victory HTs (?) across the spectrum at "more than 95%"...

Also, not sure how to read that eye relief measurement... (?)

It's definately worth taking manufacturer's published statements with a pinch of salt.

The Zeiss Victory had a measured day transmission of 85.5% (night transmission 75.2%), this is in the left (standard) ocular of the Victory 8x45 RF. It's a big step up to 95%+ in the Victory HT.

The 99.9% figure is not total light transmission through the entire instrument. If I remember the manufacturer's literature correctly it is actually "per glass surface" and refers to their Meobright antireflective coatings.

I can't speak to the newer HD versions in terms of total light transmission. I have vague recollections of the total light transmission in the older non-HD versions being in the mid-high 80's (85-88%).

It's definately worth taking manufacturer's published statements with a pinch of salt.

The Zeiss Victory had a measured day transmission of 85.5% (night transmission 75.2%), this is in the left (standard) ocular of the Victory 8x45 RF. It's a big step up to 95%+ in the Victory HT.

Gijs tested the HT at 95%. The RF is an entirely different animal, due to the limitations imposed by the laser measuring system. It is also a bit long in the tooth and Zeiss should be working on a replacement as it has been passed by both Leica and Swaro.

ZDHart,

You need to visit your nearby Cabela's and decide for yourself.

I much prefer the Zeiss. Someone else may feel differently.

My impressions of the Cabela's meopta HD (viewing the same sample in store on multiple occasions) is that the colors are much improved toward neutral over the old version (meopta 8x32 non HD). I'm not able to adjust the diopter while viewing thru the binocular. A very nice compact size and feel in the hand. The 10x model appeared sharper than the 8x model in both the 32 and 42 versions.

Cabela's has had their Meopta HD on sale a couple of times since its recent introduction. If you don't mind waiting, you will likely find it on sale again sometime in the future.

The Zeiss works for me, so I would choose it 10 out of 10 times over the other. It is a bit larger and a bit heavier but balances/handles very well in my hands. I haven't had the two side by side, but believe the Zeiss to be the sharper image. The Zeiss also feels more solidly built and refined in the moving parts.

I've been trying to get hold of a second sample of the Cabela's model to see if that makes any difference, but their other store in our area didn't have one on display my last trip there.

My .02,

CG

Last edited:
ZDHart,

I preferred the Euro HD side-by-side, overall. Optically there wasn't much difference between them that I could induce (both are about top of the line and comparable to alphas in most respects), but the ergonomics of the Euro HD are much superior with its forward oriented bridge. Your opinions may vary.

Justin

Gijs tested the HT at 95%. The RF is an entirely different animal, due to the limitations imposed by the laser measuring system. It is also a bit long in the tooth and Zeiss should be working on a replacement as it has been passed by both Leica and Swaro.

The laser measuring system is not present in the standard left ocular of the Zeiss 8x45 RF.

ZDHart,

I preferred the Euro HD side-by-side, overall. Optically there wasn't much difference between them that I could induce (both are about top of the line and comparable to alphas in most respects), but the ergonomics of the Euro HD are much superior with its forward oriented bridge. Your opinions may vary.

Justin

I did too. I own the EuroHD, and my buddy's store had a pair of 8x32 Conquest HD's that he let me take outside and compare. Not really much difference that my 53 yr old eyes could tell.....very sharp views, superb optics, and the ergs of the Euro are better IMO.

Thanks for the comments! A pair of Conquest HD 8x32 will arrive at my door tomorrow. I'll take them down to my local Cabela's and do a little side-by-side.

Is the current Meostar 8x32 essentially the same (aside from texture on the rubber armor and branding) as the Cabelas Euro HD version?

I'm a huge fan of the Conquest HD 10x42's that I recently bought, so I wouldn't be surprised if I lean toward the Zeiss in this 8x32 comparison - I do prefer a larger eyecup so I don't have to brace the outsides of my forefingers against by brows, as I have needed to do with some bins which have small eyecups. It probably will come down to feel in the hand and ergos. Sounds like either choice will be fantastic, at a reasonable price! Win-Win. :)

Last edited:
The laser measuring system is not present in the standard left ocular of the Zeiss 8x45 RF.

I have no knowledge about the RF's transmission figures, talking about the HT and confirming that Zeiss's claimed transmission has been verified - as have all the other Victory models.

ZDHart......where did you see a Meopta (not Cabelas EuroHD) 8x32 HD? Thanks.

jg... I'm sorry, I mistakenly thought that I had seen a Meostar 8x32 HD, but I guess I had just seen the regular MeoStar 8x32 and assumed it was HD.

Is the Euro 8x32 HD significantly different than the MeoStar 8x32? If so, why would Meopta not issue their own branded version as well? Cabelas must be rewarding them handsomely in exchange for exclusivity of the Cabelas branded 8x32 HD.

I'm glad the others chimed in because I wouldn't rate the two binoculars as being approximate equals.

I also asked the same question some time ago as to why Meopta would sell there flagship binocular under someone elses name and not there own.?

CG

Cabelas is selling their Euro HD 8x32 made by Meopta for $799.99. B&H is selling the Meopta 8x32 (RP) Meostar for $899.99. It doesn't have HD. Same with Eagle Optics which sells the 8x32 Meostar for $899.99.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...KuD7pmWw70CFZRr7Aod9GIANA&Q=&is=USA&A=details

Why does the Meostar cost $100.00 more than Cabelas Euro HD if it doesn't have HD? Is Cabelas Euro HD really an improved version?

Weren't there threads here in the past discussing the relative qualities of different kinds of ED glass?

Bob

Last edited:
Good question... is the Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD demonstrably significantly better, optically, than the Meopta Meostar 8x32???

I just know that the only Meopta I have ever looked through was a MeoStar (non HD) and it was very impressive in very limited viewing. It had a noticeable yellow tint to the view but was VERY clear. It was heavy, but a "good" heavy...very rugged and having a very "high quality" feel. Not too many people were ever really "excited" over Meopta, BUT when the 10x42 came out in the 42 mm HD series, it won several awards and people who have looked through it are usually very, very impressed. The view is supposedly more "neutral" and the resolution is supposedly better. I *think* they may have added a field flattener (?) also. So you might look at it as a pseudo Swaro EL SV for 1/3 to 1/2 the price... :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back