• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

trip report from Croatia/Slovenia, July 2011 (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Hi all.

This is a really boring trip report from an almost entirely non-birding trip, but I thought it might be of interest to anyone who might be visiting the Croatian coast in mid-summer.

The time of year combined with my inability to get up early meant that numbers of birds were generally unimpressive, much of the time there were literally no birds at all on view.

Anyway, here’s a rundown of some birds I did see.

Ljubljana, 19th July:
1 Black Redstart singing.

Ljubljana, 20th July:
1 Tree Sparrow, Short-toed Treecreeper heard near the Museum of Contemporary History, lots of Great Tits.

Train from Ljubljana to Zagreb, 21st July:
Several Red-backed Shrikes were seen from the train on both sides of the border, as well as about 6 White Stork on the Slovenia side.
Plus commoner stuff like Buzzard and Hooded Crow.

Zagreb, 21st July:
Serin heard singing near the rail station. Quite a few swift sp overhead, most if not all seemed to be Common Swift.

Zagreb to Split train, 22nd July:
A few birds seen. About 5 Black Kites were seen early on, as was a ringtail Montagu’s Harrier. Also several Turtle Dove and several groups of Bee-eater, particularly in the latter stages of the journey. Red-backed Shrikes were common throughout and 2 or 3 Lesser Grey Shrikes were seen briefly (the default grey shrike species here at this time of year).

Hooded Crow were common throughout, a few Buzzards were seen, as were several swift sp.

Split, 22nd July:
Good numbers of Yellow-legged Gulls were present (and were common throughout coastal Croatia). Lots of swift sp, the majority Common, but I did nail one slam-dunk Pallid Swift near the city centre.

Hvar Island, 24th:
We were on Hvar Island, staying in Hvar Town, from 23-26th, and very nice it was too, though not terribly bird rich. There were lots of swifts throughout, the majority seemingly Common Swift, no solid Pallids were seen. Hooded Crow, Swallow, House Martin, Collared Dove, Chaffinch and Red-backed Shrike were common. A few Sardinian Warblers heard calling.

On 24th, I walked east along the coast from Hvar Town (about 2 miles and back), and saw 1 Serin, c10 Alpine Swift, 1 distant raptor species which might have been a ST Eagle but not conclusive.

Sveti Klement, 25th:
Today we went to the resort of Palmizana, on the island of Sveti Klement, offshore from Hvar Town. We walked west from Palmizana to a small beach near the Dionis restaurant. Here, I was delighted to get a lifer in the form of 2 Eleonora’s Falcons which actively fed over the vegetation above the beach for about 20 minutes before drifting off. One of each pale and dark morph, the latter showing better

I assumed that the fact I was unable to get to Vis (the main site for Eleonora's) would mean seeing Eleonora's would be unfeasible. Obviously am not sure if this was a fluke or if this is a regular site for them.

No other birds seen though, except a few Cormorants.

Stari Grad, Hvar to Dubrovnik, 26th July:

Spent all day on a ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik, sailing down the coast in beautiful calm weather, but with very few birds. Several Cormorants and Yellow-legged Gulls, c10 Alpine Swift around west end of Hvar. Highlight was a single Scopoli’s Shearwater on the approach to Sobra on Miljet island. Seen briefly but reasonably well, but no discernible differences from Cory’s. Had expected to see rather more of these!

Dubrovnik, 26-28 July:
Not many birds in Dubrovnik but Alpine Swifts were very common, and roost in big numbers in the city walls. On the night of 27th witnessed the amazing sight of hundreds of Alpine Swifts swarming above the hoards of tourists in the city centre, with some birds visible roosting in small holes in the city walls. Also lots of Common Swifts, no sign of any Pallids.

So, pretty poor overall, although I'm sure more things could have been seen with a bit more determination. Apparently Blue Rock Thrush is quite common in Dubrovnik and other places but I drew a blank.

Hi,
I´ m sorry you couldn`t find any birds in Cratioa. In Croatia there are 390 differnt birds, next time before you go to visit Croatia just ask about the areas and I will be glade to inform you.

Roman,

Zdravo, Rodjo,

in 2 weeks I am going on Hvar. Please, do you have some tips regarding this island? I would be very dileghtful by seeing Alectoris graeca, Hippolais olivetorum, Lanius minor, Parus lugubris, Calandrella brachydactyla or Sitta neumayer. And also any shearwater and Aquila fasciata, of course, but I don´t expect them. Do you know whether any of this birds does breed on Hvar? Or is it better to try to find them on the slopes of Mosor and Biokovo? Or Velebit?

Hvala za bilo koji odgovor!
Boris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back