• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you prefer a Binocular or Camera? (2 Viewers)

I always take a camera with me but if I had to choose it would be bins, for the enjoyment of just watching birds in the natural enviroment surpasses looking at a photo on a pc.

As a lifelong birder, I couldn't go birding without bins (I would no more think of it than going without shoes!).
My camera is for mountaineering where I feel I need to take a snap here and there.
I'm glad photographers do take great photos of birds though.

Humm. Now I'm going to say if I'm causal birding like just walking locally I would say camera. If I'm properly birding then Bins with camera on the ready.

Its a non-consent - how can you follow a small bird through a dense hedgerow or grill a distant raptor with a camera?

What he said.
I seldom carry binoculars any more because it's the photo and the exercise that interests me. I get no less enjoyment from birding than anyone else, and, like most who prefer cameras, I spend more time watching with naked eye than though the viewfinder.
I'm fairly new to this hobby, and one interesting side effect has been the reactions of the people with whom I share my photos. Many are very enthusiastic and I may have accidentally created some new birders. Likewise, the people I meet in the field are often full of questions and may be more conscious of birds, and nature in general after our encounters.
I'd conclude that there's no wrong way to be a birder.
It came from the fact that your attitude clearly suggests that you think of yourself as a proper birder being better than those who are ''just someone with a camera''.

I just see it as case of being different, different people enjoying birds in a slightly different way. You seem to see it as a case of right and wrong,you seem to think that you are right and people doing things differently are wrong.

What he said.
I seldom carry binoculars any more because it's the photo and the exercise that interests me.

That would make you a photographer.

I'm fairly new to this hobby,

Birding or photography?

I'd conclude that there's no wrong way to be a birder.

That depends on your definition of a birder. Mine is, somebody who has developed identifications skills to some extent. It's safe to say that any birder who starts out with binoculars (whether they change to a camera later is another matter), is going to develop better observation/identification skills than one who starts out with and uses a camera only. How could it be any other way? After all, binoculars are just for observation, cameras are not. But of course not all birders are good photographers ;)

A birder is, and this is obvious, anyone who enjoys watching birds. I remember reading years ago that it's a great hobby because no equipment at all is needed to enjoy it.
This certainly satisfies your definition. I did, indeed, start out with binoculars, and you are quite badly mistaken about cameras and observation. A zoom lens mounted on a tripod could arguably be called an improvement in many situations because you can quickly change the width of the field being observed, and there is more stability. In any event, I have vision problems in my right eye and binoculars don't work well for me.
Although I'm not new to birding or photography, I'm quite an amateur at both and hoping to improve my skills.
That would make you a photographer.

Birding or photography?

That depends on your definition of a birder. Mine is, somebody who has developed identifications skills to some extent. It's safe to say that any birder who starts out with binoculars (whether they change to a camera later is another matter), is going to develop better observation/identification skills than one who starts out with and uses a camera only. How could it be any other way? After all, binoculars are just for observation, cameras are not. But of course not all birders are good photographers ;)

However I hate to think of how few species you would be able to see and identify if only carrying a camera, whether SLR, bridge or point-and-shoot.I'm enjoying toting a bridge camera around but leave bins behind?? NO way!!
Russ
Ok... To show value of both.... If u are in a relatively dead zone or know your birding area pretty good... Binos are fine. But if you travel to hot spots, .... Central America, Ecuador, Indonesia etc.... Without a camera you are simply not going to be able to ID birds due to the variety but also the number of birds close enough in appearance to confuse in establishing positive ID w/o a camera.jim

A birder is, and this is obvious, anyone who enjoys watching birds. I remember reading years ago that it's a great hobby because no equipment at all is needed to enjoy it.
This certainly satisfies your definition. I did, indeed, start out with binoculars, and you are quite badly mistaken about cameras and observation. A zoom lens mounted on a tripod could arguably be called an improvement in many situations because you can quickly change the width of the field being observed, and there is more stability. In any event, I have vision problems in my right eye and binoculars don't work well for me.
Although I'm not new to birding or photography, I'm quite an amateur at both and hoping to improve my skills.

No, it doesn't.

Ok... To show value of both.... If u are in a relatively dead zone or know your birding area pretty good... Binos are fine. But if you travel to hot spots, .... Central America, Ecuador, Indonesia etc.... Without a camera you are simply not going to be able to ID birds due to the variety but also the number of birds close enough in appearance to confuse in establishing positive ID w/o a camera.jim
Certainly don't agree with this; I've birded in 35+ countries on 6 continents and am certain I would have missed any number of birds had I been faffing about with shutter speeds, F-stops, manual/auto focus and a socking great tripod especially in rain-forest. Plus there is no joy in trying to bird with a camera unless you enjoy hours sat behind a computer screen trying to brighten and sharpen a whole bunch of dodgy pictures trying to work out what you may have seen and then posting them on BF for others opinions!! Plainly a bird-photographer will have a very different modus-operandi in these situations. I'm happy to go out into the countryside with a camera and no bins but only when I'm wearing my 'Bird Photographer hat!! I suspect (if you have a good knowledge of bird songs) that you'd have better luck birding with just a notebook and no optics than with a camera.
Russ

Last edited:
Perhaps English isn't your native tongue?
A birder is, "...somebody who has developed identifications skills to some extent."
How are you going to parse that? Number of species? Number on life list? Maybe you'll come up with a different definition?
Lighten up a little.

No, it doesn't.

A birder is, "...somebody who has developed identifications skills to some extent."
How are you going to parse that? Number of species? Number on life list? Maybe you'll come up with a different definition?
Lighten up a little.

There's a hierarchy in birding, I think if you knew more about birding you would have understood what I was alluding to in the first place.

This article will explain, it's interesting, and a good read. Birding Newfoundland with Dave Brown. "Birder's: A Subculture??"

http://birdingnewfoundland.blogspot.com/2011/04/birders-subculture.html

Last edited:
Lighten up a little.

Hugh,

You are getting into a no hoper I am afraid here. Shameless "Twite" Feeney is not really a very good birder, but he likes to think he is at least better than some others and is willing to put those others down in the same vein as he has in this thread.

Do not worry about what you do. Just enjoy it. Birds are great, and whether you get your enjoyment out of them through binoculars or off the back of an LCD screen only matters to those arrogant enough to question others standards when they think their standards are high themselves.

As long as you enjoy what you are doing, you are doing it right.

Regards

Owen

Hugh,

You are getting into a no hoper I am afraid here. Shameless "Twite" Feeney is not really a very good birder, but he likes to think he is at least better than some others and is willing to put those others down in the same vein as he has in this thread.

Do not worry about what you do. Just enjoy it. Birds are great, and whether you get your enjoyment out of them through binoculars or off the back of an LCD screen only matters to those arrogant enough to question others standards when they think their standards are high themselves.

Regards

Owen

Nice one Owen, I owe you one.

Nice one Owen, I owe you one.

No worries shameless. Feel free to accuse me of "stalking" you in your signature like the last guy that stood up to you. ;)

shame there's no cuckoo emoticon. you would think birdforum would have it.

Owen

No worries shameless. Feel free to accuse me of "stalking" you in your signature like the last guy that stood up to you. ;)

shame there's no cuckoo emoticon. you would think birdforum would have it.

Owen

:-O Yeah, wasn't one of my more mature moments. Life's just too short Owen.

So you went with "Change the definition".
I'm sure Mr. Brown is a serious man and a dedicated birdwatcher, but I'm not going to let him exclude me, and millions of others, from calling ourselves birdwatchers.
Most people have lives other than birding, which is a hobby to the majority of us, not a calling.

I can't comment on Twite's birding skills, but his social skills seem to be stunted. I assume he's very young, and perhaps time will help him with the arrogance problem.
In any case, you're right;it's a waste of time to bandy words with a twit(e).
Hugh,

Regards

Owen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back