• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green butterfly? (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
Whilst at Holme Dunes, (Norfolk) yesterday evening I saw a butterfly that I cannot Identify, even with the help of friends and books, It was green in colour (like the green of the scroll bar to the left of the screen now) with a yellow or cream trailing edge to the wing. (unfortunatly I couldn't get a photo as my camera is still broken) It flew off before I could get any other features, I have been advised it was a Dark green Fetilery(??? can't spell that) but the pictures I have seen in my book are no where near what I saw. Any help would be appreciated.

There were plenty of other butterflys knocking around, including small copper, speckled wood, and a day flying moth whos name escapes me at the moment.

Oh yeas and at least 2 ring ouzels a male and a female.

Was it a Green Hairstreak? They are a very vivid green on the underwing (which is what you see when the Butterfly is at rest) bordered by a thin stripe of orange and a thin white outer edge. They are quite a small butterfly, similar in size to a Small Copper whereas a Dark Green Fritillary is about twice that size. Actually Dark Green Fritillary is rather poorly named as they only show a faint greenish wash to the underwing, not a solid block of colour, from your initial desription it seems unlikely to have been a Dark-green Fritillary. I have attached an image of a Green Hairstreak if thats any help. Green Hairstreaks are usual active from late April to mid June whearas Dark-green Fritillaries are later flying (June-August). Hope that helps.

Attachments

• greenfritillary.jpg
    greenfritillary.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 302
i have seen Green Hairstreak on Holme Dunes. Also seen Brown Argus. Was there on Friday and saw nowt. Lousy Butterfly weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back