• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near Siam Reap, Cambodia July 2018 (1 Viewer)

Sammerz314

Hey Guys,

I will be in Siam Reap, Cambodia in July 2018. Does anyone have experience birding in the Siam Reap area? From what I understand, July isn't the best time of year for birding in Cambodia. However, I must make do. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

Are you looking for companions or information? This is the companions board.

Anyway, as far as information goes, July is not a great time for Cambodia. A better call for July would be Indonesia (including Borneo, both Indonesian and Malaysian).

But if it has to be Cambodia, the Sam Veasna Center has been the go-to organization in Cambodia for some time. https://www.google.co.kr/url?sa=t&r...mveasna.org/&usg=AOvVaw3EmHYv2drtDDu9jiydbMP_ They offer combination Angkor temples and birding trips, and they can customize to your wishes. I did a trip a couple years ago to a number of Cambodian hotspots with them and they were organized and professional. Their guides were great. I can recommend them from personal experience.

I just discovered the Cambodia Bird Guide Association as well. http://www.birdguideasso.org/html/index.php Others might know better and be able to confirm (or deny) this, but it seems to be an organization of former Sam Veasna center guides and staff. If so. they are probably good, too.

Hi

Sam Veasna hold the rights to some of the better locations for vultures and Bengal floricans but you can go with the folks from the Cambodia Bird Guide association who used to work for Sam Veasna.

In terms of bird life, you can still see the residents birds around the various temples in the Angkor Wat complex.

The biggest problem will be the heat.

Hi

Sam Veasna hold the rights to some of the better locations for vultures and Bengal floricans but you can go with the folks from the Cambodia Bird Guide association who used to work for Sam Veasna.

In terms of bird life, you can still see the residents birds around the various temples in the Angkor Wat complex.

The biggest problem will be the heat.

And the cost if you're on a budget, Sam Veasna were and I assume still are, pretty pricey so I expect their progeny to charge similarly.

A

Last edited:
Hi I spent time birding there in Early August. If you Pm me I will give you an idea of what I saw and where. I did book a half day with Sam Veasna and did the Phnom Kroehm area.

Hey Guys,

I will be in Siam Reap, Cambodia in July 2018. Does anyone have experience birding in the Siam Reap area? From what I understand, July isn't the best time of year for birding in Cambodia. However, I must make do. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

Back to the opening post, and it maybe of use to others who travel to Seim Reapduring July\August:
I hired a guide for a half day (pm) as it was the only spare time I had. It worked well to ensure I got to the area with minimal fuss to maximise the time. Sam Veasna sorted it via e-mail I paid on line, organised a pick time from my hotel, they came a little early and we stayed out in the field until dark. We birded the Phnom Kroam area which was only 30 minutes away from the town.

My afternoon site List:
Cotton Pygmy Goose
Indian Spot-billed Duck
Little Grebe
Little Cormorant
Oriental Darter
Yellow Bittern
Cinnamon Bittern
Black Bittern
Purple Heron
Grey Heron
Little Egret
Spot Billed Pelican
Black Shouldered Kite
Watercock
Black backed Swamphen
Wood Sandpiper
Red Collared Dove plus all the other common Doves
Lesser Coucal
Germains Swiftlet
Asian Palm swift
Indian Roller
Blue Tailed Bee-eater
Southern Jungle Crow
Streaked Weaver
Baya Weaver
Scaly breasted Munia
White Vented Myna
Common Myna
Black Collared Starling
Yellow Vented Bulbul
Barn Swallow
Bright Headed Cisticola
Common Tailorbird
Yellow Bellied Prinia
Plain Prinia

Self found birds around the temples other than the very common stuff such as Palm-swifts, Mynas, Tailorbirds etc:
Preah Khan: Black crested Bulbul, Oriental Honey Buzzard
Ta Prohm: Lineated Barbet, Asian Barred Owlet, Alexanderine Parakeet
Angkor Thom: Red Breasted Parakeet, Large Tailed Nightjar, Racket Tailed Treepee
Angkor Wat: Shikra, Brown backed Needletail

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back