• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thalasseus gayi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Shouldn't be Thalasseus gayi removed from the key as it is a nomen nudum.
See footnote here. I agree if I look at Bonaparte here. Or did I miss a further description?

See under "syn." in the Standard abbreviations and symbols of the Key. I am attempting to explain/include as many names as possible, regardless of their status (which I leave to others!)

Last edited:
  • Attagis gayi gayi Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire & Lesson, 1831 OD here and plate
  • Phrygilus gayi (Gervais, 1834) OD here (maybe Eydoux as well author?)
  • Trochilus gayi Bourcier & Mulant 1846 OD here => Lafresnaya lafresnayi saul
  • Thalasseus gayi Bonaparte, 1856 OD here
Reptiles, insects and plants are also named after him.

The Key to Scientific Names
Claude Gay (1800-1873) French zoologist, collector in Chile and Peru 1828-1842 (Attagis, syn. Lafresnaya lafresnayi saul, Phrygilus, syn. Thalasseus elegans)
Nothing sensational new. I was just curious if there are additional names and why Wikipedia mentioned him as Claudio Gay Mouret.

Therefore I checked his birth record here p. 52 of 375 (Cote 7 E 53/29) and it seems he was born 27 Ventôse VIII (18. März 1800) in Draguignan (Did not identify a hier but difficult to read). His death record here p. 121 of 168 in Flayosc (Cote 7 E 62/43 ). His father seems to be Jean Gay and his mother Thérèse Mouret (therefore in spanisch version both names). If I read correct he was married with Hermane Alexandrina Vongier (died earlier than him). Feel free to correct me if I read anything wrong.

If links do not work simply start the search from here.

Last edited:
Therefore I checked his birth record here p. 52 of 375 (Cote 7 E 53/29) and it seems he was born 27 Ventôse VIII (18. März 1800) in Draguignan (Did not identify a hier but difficult to read).
'cejourd'hui' = today

His death record here p. 121 of 168 in Flayosc (Cote 7 E 62/43 ). His father seems to be Jean Guy and his mother Thérese Mouret (therefore in spanisch version both names). If I read correct he was married with Hermane Alexandrina Vongier (died earlier than him).
His parents are Jean Gay and Thérèse Mouret in both records.
Hard to be completely sure of his wife's name here, but I think Hermance Alexandrine Sougnier. See also Sougnier, Hermance-Alexandrine , which suggests they separated (without getting divorced) in 1846.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back