• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery californian passerine. (1 Viewer)

happylimpet

Hi guys n gals,

Brand new to birdforum so very excited about reaping the benefits of your combined wisdom.

Here's a mystery I photographed in Northern California on a scrappy tree in a hedge by the road, about 200 yds from coastal cliffs. Grassy fields around. The only unknown from the whole trip, after poring through sibley.

very grateful for any thoughts. it looks so damn identifiable!

Nick

Attachments

• 100_5770-5771 unknown.jpg
    100_5770-5771 unknown.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 129
The light on the photo is a bit strange but I think it's a California Towhee. On my monitor it looks to have distinctly rufous coloured undertail coverts.

Thanks Andrew! Certainly can see no reason to doubt that ID after a quick look at pics online. I eagerly await getting home to Sibley.

This is amazing. Got an Australian one to dig out now thats been driving me mad for months. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back