• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montana Bird Art (1 Viewer)

sfrissell

Hi All:

Can someone tell me the size guidelines for uploading pictures attached to forum entries? Is it the same as for the Gallery, i.e, not >325kb??

Your help would be appreciated so I can post some of my work.

Thanks

Sid

hiya - hope you can get some of your work on here - I think the restrictions are the same as for the galleries, lets have a look!

There it is - 297.7kb and 800x800 pixels limit for jpeg.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Hi Sid,

Happy to see you at the forum! And looking forward to seeing your new work!! Watching Ken Burn's National Park series on TV the last few days has reminded me of the beauty and ruggedness of the Montana and the West, something I sorely miss here on the East Coast. So let's see some of those Montana birds!!

Ken

Guess it's about time I stopped just lurking and reading and post a bit of my recent work. I paint mostly in watercolor using both field sketches and my photos. I've used field sketches more for habitat than for birds but I'm working on that. All the fine field work on this forum has prompted me to get of my "studio butt" and get outside with the scope.
First some past paintings: "Let's go see!" (Common ravens). "Fishing the River" (Belted Kingfisher), and "Awesome display, dude!" (Hooded Mergansers)

Attachments

• P1030296.jpg
    P1030296.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 182
  • P1000961.jpg
    P1000961.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 164
  • P1010305.jpg
    P1010305.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 163
Current project: American Kestrel. Rough preliminary sketch on tracing paper. The tree is from a field sketch, the bird from several of my photos plus some field sketches. Critiques are welcome.

Sid

Attachments

• P1070684.jpg
    P1070684.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 169
lovely stuff, especially the ravens, the title adds so much more to the enjoyment of it too! Looking forward to seeing the progress of your kestrel - the comp sketch is a piece of art in its own right!

Good to see your work at last Sid! The Ravens are my favorite by far!. A very good blending of detailed subject and simple background.

Thanks for the comments. I am working on the Kestrel painting in both watercolor and a second version in acrylic. Don't know yet which will win!

Tim: I think maybe we have brighter colors here in the western US. The light may be stronger, less moisture in the air than in your area or even in eastern US. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.
Sid

Hi Sid, and welcome to the forum. Lovely work here as mentioned by others, love those Hooded Mergansers myself, have fond memories of this species, great painting!

Tim: I think maybe we have brighter colors here in the western US. The light may be stronger, less moisture in the air than in your area or even in eastern US. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.
Sid

I do miss that western air and color! Since I just can't ever seem to make it back out west I think it will have to be through the paintings of you and Colleen.

I worked in Montana one summer in college, it's not called the "Big Sky" country for nothing, light, as I remember it in a spectacular place called Glacier Park, very strong, air very clear, colors strong.

Where I live in Northern California, near the coast, there is lots of fog, sometimes in the summer too. ( I call it Nature's air conditioning then, it comes in after a few very hot days near or over 100) many days are hazy, some very strong and clear, but mostly the light here is more subtle, and the greens tend toward jade tones, there is some seasonal change, green green hills in the winter, and then golden yellows in the summer, and browns and beige in fall. In Southern California the colors are bright and strong, and the sun more intense. So there is a range here where I live, tending to a bit more subdued.

My work is always affected by the light where I live, but it usually takes about 2 years of living there for it to penetrate, I've been lucky to live in very amazing places, right on the beach in Southern California, Newport Beach, Sarasota Florida(what a dope I was, I practically ignored the birds, and they are spectacular there) Hawaii, Santa Fe New Mexico, Lake Tahoe Nevada, Reno Nevada( high desert country) San Francisco California, Tiburon Calilfornia( on SF Bay) and now the winecountry of Sonoma about 2 hrs, north of San Franciso and 25 miles from beautiful Bodega Bay. Everywhere the light is very different, unique.

What is it like where you live?

Glad you asked about the light, Colleen.

I once was on a blog that was considering some Vermeers. I said that much of Vermeer's light reminded me of San Francisco light, a bright but somewhat subtle light. For me it's the most attractive light I've ever seen. I also see it in the paintings of Diebenkorn, especially the Ocean Park Series.

The Sierras of California, recently displayed so well in much of Ken Burn's National Park Series on PBS , have a brighter, harsher light but one that I loved. My guess is that Montana light is a bit the same.

Philadelphia light seems to vary. Today it is a bright clear day with some clouds. But most of the time to me it is somewhat unmemorable. I might change my mind on that if I ever can spend less time in an office working and more outside.

The light at Cape May, NJ, where I go a few times a year is also clear and sometimes moisture laden. It's never as bright as on the Pacific Coast but still does have some of the quality of Pacific Coast light, clear with just a bit of moisture to soften the harsh edges. I love it just as I loved San Francisco light.

When I lived in Berkeley, which is very close to San Francisco, for those who don't know, the moisture of the fog was largely missing. So it was bright all the time. That is my main recollection of Berkeley light: always bright.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back