• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Birding Life: A Passion for Birds at Home and Afield (1 Viewer)

jedigrant

This book explores some of the ways in which people appreciate and relate to birds. In the first third of the book, brief chapters take readers into the field at some well known birding spots, and into the homes of some birders. The remainder of the book is much the same, but it focuses more on people who are interested in, or influenced by, birds. But I wouldn't necessarily call them all birders. Apparently, the main way they express that interest is by collecting, and decorating their homes with, avian-themed art and objects, from paintings to sculpture, pillows to wallpaper.

It is an attractive book, filled with photos of (some) birds, birders birding, and the collections in the homes of these people. It is also well-written and engaging. The author is not a birder himself, and you can tell at times, but overall he does justice to birding.

However, I don’t think it will appeal to everyone interested in birds. If, like me, the first part of this book sounds more relevant to you, I would recommend checking it out if you are also interested in bird-centric art and other objects. Instead, if the second part is more your cup of tea, or if you’re curious about the various ways people express their passion about birds, I would unreservedly recommend The Birding Life.

Here's my full review of The Birding Life

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back