• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (1 Viewer)

I'm currently using a 70D (and a 6D on occasion, but I tend to use that mostly for other subjects) with a Canon 100-400mm for birding and I am always wanting reach of course but, as I am not in a position to afford (or justify!) a large white Canon telephoto, I've been following the various forums and posts about this new Tamron lens with interest. I've seen some cracking images with the Tamron but I am not sure if I'd trade my 100-400mm for it. I think I'll wait a while longer.

got to admit your making this look a good handy lens for general use mic .still nagging doubts about the reported a/f issues on b.i.f with it .and having read throughout the reports on p.o.t.n i estimate 90% of the complaints are user error from people with little or no concept of long range photography with a long lens ,and as usual the boys over the pond always know best LOL .,i.e put it on a tripod with the i.s switched on it makes no difference amongst other gems .
BUT i have seen some stunning close ups of static birds from over there i.e junco in a snowstorm etc and various perched birds of prey .it is what it is and i,m keeping a open mind

.Will the 400mm take a 1.5x upsize and still hold better quality than the tamron natively?
Here are a few big crops from the 400/5.6. Not up sized but cropped to a FOV far greater than the equivalent 600mm of the Tamron. Not saying they are any better as I have not got the Tammy to compare them with they give you an idea of the detail you can get even if you crop a fair bit.

Attachments

• snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 248
  • bluetit5.jpg
    bluetit5.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 214
  • goose1v2.jpg
    goose1v2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 221
  • wheat9.jpg
    wheat9.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 217
  • lap1.jpg
    lap1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
These are quite good for big crops no doubt.
But from what I saw with the Tamron in the quick test I've made, I'm not sure it wont keep up with it. I'm not saying the tamron is as good as the 400mm... it's not. But taking into account the FL difference and having an image 50% bigger for a start, I don't think it will be that far off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing and I thank you for your input. Also, I wont bet either way, but I'd love to see a comparison from anyone who has the chance to use both.

These are quite good for big crops no doubt.
But from what I saw with the Tamron in the quick test I've made, I'm not sure it wont keep up with it. I'm not saying the tamron is as good as the 400mm... it's not. But taking into account the FL difference and having an image 50% bigger for a start, I don't think it will be that far off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing and I thank you for your input. Also, I wont bet either way, but I'd love to see a comparison from anyone who has the chance to use both.
The images I posted are of a FOV far greater than 600mm - you would have to use at least a 1.4x tc on the Tammy to get anywhere near the same FOV without cropping, you would not have to crop a 400mm image that much to get to 600mm equivalent - just saying.

At the end of the day if you have tried the Tammy and like it I would say just buy it and don't worry about what others think.

BTW I make no claim as to how good (or bad) my big crop samples are but just posting them for folks as a guide.

Last edited:
At the end of the day if you have tried the Tammy and like it I would say just buy it and don't worry about what others think.

Very true, but I passed on the 400 F/5.6 several years ago when I went Nikon and regretted it. Now I'm using Canon and have the chance to get it again, but the Tamron is looking nice too. I'm just afraid in a few months I regret again for not buying the Canon 400mm instead... and I know I will if the Canon turns out to be the best choice for sharpness even when shooting at the same distances.

Very true, but I passed on the 400 F/5.6 several years ago when I went Nikon and regretted it. Now I'm using Canon and have the chance to get it again, but the Tamron is looking nice too. I'm just afraid in a few months I regret again for not buying the Canon 400mm instead... and I know I will if the Canon turns out to be the best choice for sharpness even when shooting at the same distances.

just been down this road myself i.e nikon back to canon ,have now settled on a canon 400mm f5.6 coupled with a 1Dmkiii and a back up of a 60D ,gives me quick a/f and good iq the tammy would just stretch that bit further though !!!!

As other are saying this lens is of great interest to us folk who just can't stretch to a nice big white lens.

I have the 400f5.6 which I use on my 40D; the Tammy does look very tempting to run alongside my 400 rather than replacing my 400. Giving me that little extra zoom when needed, and would make a nice lens to take out on a day when you are loaded down with scope, bins and your lunch.

I am hoping the lens will come down in price and just waiting to see a few more BIF shots before I make my mind up.

Nice shots as always Roy by the way.

Tim.

The static test between these 2 lenses has conclude that the Canon is sharper and has better contrast than then Tamron. Note that even on the corner, the Canon is much better in terms of sharpness and no vignetting.

That doesn't mean the Tamron is not good, it is one hell of lens given the zoom capability and price, caveat the f-stop.

Along with a lot of very average images I have also seen some very good one with the Tammy, albeit mostly fair close-ups in back yard set-ups. I have even seen a decent shot with a 1.4x tc on but that was a close-up of a big static Goose so hardly representative of its usefulness in the field.
Ironically a couple of guys who are putting up some of the very best images with the lens say they are sending theirs back sighting possible problems with the VC and/or AF in certain circumstances.
There is no doubt that the lens looks very good value for money but I think I would wait a week or two to see what pans out with the possible AF problem before jumping in. Besides I am sure the price will fall in the UK once stocks become plentiful and the early excitement dies down.
I still think that capturing fast BIF will be very difficult with the lens so if that was important I would probably pass on this lens.
Just my 2p's worth

It is not surprising to me that this mega slow lens (f6.3) has the occasional problem with AF, especially on 1.6 croppers - if it was not down the the fact that the lens hides its true aperture at the long end then AF would be impossible on a 1.6 cropper as it is limited to f5.6. In this regard a Camera that AF's to f8 is almost certain to be better/quicker to focus.

I would be interested to see if using back button focus in AI servo mode helps with the AF as it is easy to bump/pump the focus when using this method (I always use AI servo and back button focusing myself).

If the Tamron is auto-focusing properly in AI Servo, you should not have to bump/pump the back button.

I have even seen a decent shot with a 1.4x tc on but that was a close-up of a big static Goose so hardly representative of its usefulness in the field.

Speak for yourself. Many people want to get decent shots close-up of subjects by taking the focal-length to 840mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back