• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or .... (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
In no small way thanks to the untiring efforts of BirdForum enthusiasts my HBWAlive Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology is proving to be a useful and reliable resource free to all enquirers. Yet some names continue to elude me. My original list of ten pages of unseen descriptions and diagnoses has been cut down to just two. Below are the unseen journals, mainly Russian and Japanese, comprising the first page (I will submit a list of non-serial works, comprising the second page, later). I apologise if some of these journals have already appeared in these columns, but any new information, original works, suggestions, avenues of further research, etc, will be gratefully acknowledged.

Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis. Tokyo.
1927 Cinclus pallasii itooi Momiyama, 1, p. 54
1927 Turdus eunomus ni Momiyama, 1, p. 141
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1
Dobutsu-gaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei Momiyama, 35, p. 402
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tametomo Momiyama, 35, p. 412
1940 Turdus aureus miharagokko Momiyama, 52, p. 462
The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts; embracing Mineralogy, Geology, Natural History, Physics, &c.
1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87
Jahresberichte über die Wirksamkeit und den Zustand der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Emden.
1851 Turdus mure Kreling, p. 22
Jahrb. Mus. Poltawa (?Sbornik Poltavsk Muzeya) (see below)
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+
Japan Wildlife Bulletin. Tokyo.
1961 Parus montanus abei Mishima, 18 (1), p. 160 [in Japanese]
Journal of the Asiatic Society of Pakistan. Dacca.
1966 Aethopyga siparaja terglanei er-Rashid, 11 (3), pp. 113+
Journal of the Chosen Natural History Society. Keijo [= Seoul].
1927 Garrulus brandtii okai Momiyama, 4, p. 5
Messager Ornithologique. Moscow.
1916 Coccothraustes coccothraustes tatjanae Kudashev, 7 (2), p. 96
Novedades Cientificas. Contribuciones Ocasionales del Museo de Historia Natural La Salle. Caracas.
1952 Formicarius rufipectus lasallei Aveledo & Gines, Zool., 6, pp. 1+
Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruiz, vol.7?, p.?
Sbornik Poltavsk Muzeya (?Jahrb. Mus. Poltawa) (see above)
Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304
Travaux de la Société Impériale des Naturalistes de St.- Pétersbourg
1898 Alectoris graeca margaritae Davidoff, 29, p. 57+
Trudy Zoologicheskogo Instituta. Akademiya Nauk S.S.S.R. Leningrad.
1955 Tribura maior innae Portenko, 18, p. 504
1962 Rhodospiza obsoleta chauncheica Portenko, 30, p. 390
Vestnik Tomskogo Ornit. Obshchestva.
1921 Fringilla coelebs wolfgangi Teploukhov, 1, p. 70

With effusive thanks in advance.

The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts; embracing Mineralogy, Geology, Natural History, Physics, &c. 1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87. It is not online but is in the British Library, and photo copies are at Tring.
http://indianbirds.in/pdfs/IB.4.5.167.pdf .
It is at Toronto Library.
http://search.library.utoronto.ca/details?4691046&uuid=161d6bfe-eec3-4d20-8887-162a69106c69 .
From Edward Dickinson's paper and a BBOC it appears that the genus name is Bahilia.
http://www.mocavo.com/Bulletin-of-the-British-Ornithologists-Club-1942-1943-Volume-63/724769/106 .
In 1841 Hodgson uses Bahila. http://biodiversitylibrary.org/item/122869#page/43/mode/1up .

Last edited:
Maybe Teploukhov (Сергей Александрович Теплоухов (1888-1934)) article can be obtained from here. I think wolfgangi should be found in this article (but my russian is not existant).

Jahresberichte (über die Wirksamkeit und den Zustand) der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Emden. Soon to be digitized; "Die digitale Aufbereitung der Berichte wird noch einige Zeit in Anspruch nehmen. Der Vorstand hofft jedoch, die Jahresberichte in näherer Zukunft im Internet präsentieren zu können." (here)

This far they´ve worked their way back to 1855.

Something is odd with this one ...

1898 Alectoris graeca margaritae Davidoff, 29, p. 57+ [/Richmond card, here and here!]

Which (most likely, in my mind) is or ought to be: Travaux de la Société impériale des naturalistes de St.-Petersbourg ... Trudy Imperatorskago S.-Peterburgskago obshchestva estestvoispytateleĭ

And I thought I found it!, here, but I could´t find the "margaritae" DAVIDOFF (or DAWYDOFF) 1898. Not anywhere. It´s apparently supposed to be somewhere on "p.57-63".

However something seems wrong; the 1898 issue is vol XXVI (!?) ... and the vol. XXVIII is dated 1899 (here), followed by vol. XXIX (29, the one we should be looking for) is dated 1900 (here)!? Also note the odd double pagina, differ on top vs bottom of (most) pages!

But maybe we are (or I am) gazing at, looking for, the wrong journal?

Anyone else feel like giving a go at "margaritae" and the "Trudy Imperatorskago S.-Peterburgskago obshchestva estestvoispytateleĭ"? Good luck!

PS. Following the second Richmond card; this might help!? "p. 86 (German digest)"?
---

Last edited:
It's the right Société, but the wrong journal--they edited several journals on different subjects. I think what we need is:
French: Travaux de la Société Impériale des Naturalistes de St-Pétersbourg. Section de Zoologie et de Physiologie.
Russian, original: Труды Императорскаго С.-Петербургскаго общества естествоиспытателей. Отдѣленіе Зоологіи и Физіологіи.
Russian, modern: Труды Императорского С.-Петербургского общества естествоиспытателей. Отделение Зоологии и Физиологии.​
(And not, obviously, "Section de Géologie et de Minéralogie." "Отдѣленіе Геологіи и Минералогіи". ;))

(Note--Russian spelling was quite extensively reformed in 1917-18; the most important changes included
- the dropping of the hard sign "ъ" at the end of words, where it previously appeared in any word that otherwise would have ended in a consonant;
- the global replacement of "і" (the "dotted i" or "decimal i") with "и" (i);
- the global replacement of "ѣ" (yat) with е (ye);
- a change in the genitive singular ending of adjectives, -аго becoming -ого, and -яго becoming -его.
See for example [here] for more, but the above covers all the most frequent cases, I think.
Old documents may be listed under the original, or under the reformed spelling; search engines won't necessarily treat these as equivalent, thus you should search on both. Similarly, if you want to use Google translate on an old text, you should first make the spelling "reformed", otherwise it won't work in most cases. OCR programs often don't know about і and ѣ at all, so they react quite unpredictably to their presence in a text.)

That said, I've already tried finding this one but, up to now, I've failed.
Unfortunately, I fear that the "German digest" is a German abstract in the same Russian journal.

Last edited:
1898 Alectoris graeca margaritae Davidoff, 29, p. 57+
I think I'll stop with this one for now, as I really do not find it... I did find, however, the second issue ("Livr. 2") of the same journal [here] (and it is also included in [this]; both are US only). This issue starts with a work by the same author (КН Давыдов - Konstantin Nikolayevich Davydov), titled
  • Материалы для орнитологической фауны восточной Палестины и северной Петро-Аравии. (Materials for the ornithological fauna of eastern Palestine and northern Petro-Arabia.)
Therein he mentions two works that he published in the first issue, one of which is:
  • О новой разновидности каменной куропатки (Caccabis chukar G. R. Gray) — Caccabis chukar var. margaritae. (A new variety of rock partridge (Caccabis chukar Gray) — Caccabis chukar var. margaritae.)
He also lists his material, so I can say that margaritae was based on specimens from Биттиръ (Battir), Енгедди (Ein Gedi), Іерихонъ (Jericho), Уади-Нимринъ (Wadi Nimrin), and Уади-Моджибъ (Wadi Mujib). From this, it follows that margaritae should be in the synonymy of Alectoris chukar sinaica (Bonaparte 1858), not that of A. graeca. Unfortunately, he says nothing about the derivation of the name; nor does he cite any person with a name starting with either "Marg" or "Марг", or called "Rita" or "Рита".

If anyone is interested in the pdf, I can post it.

Last edited:
Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruiz, vol.7?, p.?
See the Appendix (Publications on Cuban Birds by Pedro Regalado Ruiz), p. 32, in Buden & Olson's (1989); The Avifauna of the Cayerias of Southern Cuba, with the Ornithological Results of the Paul Bartsch Expedition of 1930 (here)

It might makes things a little clearer ... however not easier to find. ;)

Revista forestal baracoa

But I assume Buden & Olson didn´t have internet in 1989 … ;)

Nowadays it does look like someone's got them!

Even if not digitized, at least in its original form; Revista forestal baracoa/Revista Cientifico-Tecnica, here or here (p.37).

Maybe worth to contact them?

Björn

PS. If published (?, as said by Bond 1984), the title of the earlier issues (No. 1-7) of this Journal (in Wageningen UR Library Catalogue) should be "Baracoa: revista cientifico-tecnica".
---

Last edited:
Ежегодник Музея Полтавского ... ?

Jahrb. Mus. Poltawa (?Sbornik Poltavsk Muzeya) (see below)

Sbornik Poltavsk Muzeya (?Jahrb. Mus. Poltawa) (see above)
James, could it be this one:

Гавриленко Н.И. Предварительные сведения о птицах
Полтавской губернии // Ежегодник Музея Полтавского
Губернского Земства 1914–1915. Полтава, 1917. С. 21–95.

Google Translate:
Gavrilenko M.I. Preliminary information about the birds
Poltava province // Yearbook of the Museum of Poltava
Provincial Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava, 1917. pp 21-95.

However, where to find it is beyond my understanding!

Good luck!

/B

PS. And the Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis is to be found in the University of Tsukuba Library (link to catalogue, here)
---

Last edited:
動物学雑誌 Doubutsugaku zasshi

Dobutsu-gaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei Momiyama, 35, p. 402
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tametomo Momiyama, 35, p. 412
1940 Turdus aureus miharagokko Momiyama, 52, p. 462
動物学雑誌 Doubutsugaku zasshi (ou, and no hyphen)

Momiyama, T. T.. 1940. Three new forms of Turdidae (Aves) from the Islands of Japan. [動物学雑誌] Doubutsugaku zasshi 52 (11): pp. 462-464. (here or here, but only with Subscription)

Other volumes, here (also accessible, if subscribed!), unfortunately the 1923 issues, 35 (>416) isn´t there!

That´s all I can manage in this thread.

Hopefullt someone else, with far better knowledge of those Foreign languages, is more successful?

Björn ... over and out!

1966 Aethopyga siparaja terglanei er-Rashid, 11 (3), pp. 113

Step by step I figured out from p. 113 till 117 (should be full article) the following text from ''OBSERVATIONS ON SOME BIRDS OF EAST PAKISTAN ( Including the description of a new subspecies )'' from Haroun Er-Rashid about Aethopyga siparaja terglanei and others:

The mudflats and sandy beaches along the sea-coast of East Pakistan are fascinating places for watching a great variety of waders in winter. Greenshanks, red shanks, plovers, curlews, great blue herons and number of other species are plentiful. Come March however and the long flight north has already begun. By May the spots alive with running or wheeling of flocks in winter empty and desolate. On the mudflats near habitations only the ubiquitous (and may one say, monotonous?) paddy bird stalks its somnolent way. It seems as if all the winter birds are gone. But no : On the mudflats remote from big seaside villages a considerable umber of curlews seem to stay on throughout the year. Smythies ( Birds of Burma ) seems to think these are all immature birds, presumably on their first migration South. It is true that wherever r these curlews gather in flocks ( of upto 20 ) they are invariably immature birds. But I have seen fully grown birds in the middle of summer. A couple of full-grown curlews were seen in August, 1963 on the western side of Sonadia island. Again in July a fully grown bird was sighted by me at the confluence of the Paira river and Bogi khal in south Barisal. The questions that arise are firstly, whether some mature curlews normally summer along our coasts, and secondly summer along our coasts, and secondly, whether there is any possibility of their breeding here. Another coastal bird that raises some questions is the Black-tailed Godwit. This migrant is not a common bird in winter, like the curlew. A pair was however seen in early August, 1965, at Kuakata, on the sea-face of south Barisal. These were either very early migrants from the north, or else they had spent the summer n our coast. Observations along the coastal areas of East Pakistan are so few that that we still have a lot to learn about what goes on there. Along the coastal areas of southern Chittagong district very large flocks of red-breasted Parakeet are to be seen in October and November. They are said to breed on the Muranja Taung and Wayla Taung hill ranges. But for these two months they roost among the Um or Golpata palms ( Nipa fruticans ) which are grown in clumps along the numerous tidal inlets. The reason for this is that the rice grown along the foothills ripens in late October and these parakeets take full advantage of that. They can be seen raiding the rice crop in large flights, some of which have over two thousand birds. The sight of one of these large flights wheeling and swooping in unison is really remarkable. Observation of these parakeets show that the immature male and female resemble each other for the first nine months. Thereafter the breast of the male acquires a plum colour and the black bill changes to red. This change takes three to four months. A collection of some birds was made by Mr. Hussain and me in the Cox's Bazar area in February, 1963. We also managed to collect three male specimens of the yellow-backed Sunbird. Measurements , colouring and breeding season suggest that these are probably a new subspecies of yellow-backed Sunbird, ( Aethopyga Siparaja ). The sub-species that is supposed to be found throughout East Pakistan and most of Burma north of Rangoon is Seheriae. The type locality for this is Seheria, Borabhum, on the borders of West Bengal and Bihar. This sub-species can be recognised by (i) the green tail, (ii) the central tail feathers being 15 to 20 mm. longer than the lateral ones, (iii) the wings being under 60 mm. in length, (iv) the olivegreen abdomen. Moreover, in Assam ( and Sylhet in East Pakistan ) they breed in May, June and July. In southern Burma and Thailand the subspecies is Cara. The type locality is Tenasserim. The main differences from Seheriae are that it has (i) the tail metallic purple, (ii) the central tail feathers only 4 to 8 mm. longer than the lateral ones, (iii) the abdomen grey, very slightly washed with olive, (iv) the breeding season in January and February. The Sunbirds collected in Chainda forest, near Cox's Bazar, resemble Seheriae in having (a) a green tail, and (b) wings under 60 mm. in length. On the other hand, they resemble cara in having (c) the central tail feathers only 5 to 10 mm. longer than the lateral ones, (d) the abdomen grey, washed with olive-green, and (e) the breeding season in February. The deduction about the breeding season was made after dissection, when the testes were found to be very enlarged, obviously in preparation for breeding. It may be mentioned here that in climate and vegetation the southeastern part of East Pakistan has far more in common with southern Burma than with the drier uplands of West Bengal and Bihar. After consideration of the various differences and resemblances I feel justified in nominating those birds tentatively into a new subspecies : terglanei. Of course much more material is needed to firmly establish Aethopyga siparaja terglanei ( nom. nov. ) and it is hoped that in January or February, 1967 some more collection can be made in the Cox's Bazar area. The coastal ranges of Cox's Bazar and Chittagong are backed up farther east by a series of north-south aligned ridges that become higher as we go east. Most of the first six ridges are in East Pakistan. Another six ranges to the east we reach the central ' range, the main watershed, of the Arakan Yomas ( known there as the Chin hills ). Mount Victoria is the highest point in that central part. The mountain ridges within East Pakistan are almost wholly in the district of Chittagong Hill Tracts. One of the most interesting aspects of these hills is the virtual absence of the House-Sparrow( Passer domesticus indicus ) and the House Crow (Corvus splendens splendens ). These two birds are very common in nearly all other parts of East Right up to the very base of the westernmost of these ranges they are ubiquitous.
But suddenly they are no more. The bigger, graver and one may say, more dignified, Jungle Crow ( Corvus macrorhyncos ) takes over from its more domestic cousin. As for the Sparrow it seems to be replaced partially by various members of the Ploceidae. This is strange because the Sparrow is so adaptable, so pugnacious and so tenacious. If it is really a commensal of man why does it not penetrate these hills ? People have been living on these hills for a long time and one could expect either the House Sparrow or the Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus). Mysteriously ( at least for the present ) both are absent over the greater part of the area.Field investigation into the reasons for the failure of these species to establish themselves is most desirable. The Wagtails are amongst the most common winter visitors to East Pakistan. Soon after coming down from Tibet, China and Siberia hey scatter all over the province. As the time of departure draws near they seem to congregate in increasing numbers ia -certain areas, which probably serve as take-off bases. Such an area is the large marshy land around Tengra Tila, near Chhatak, in Sylhet district. In April and May, 1964, I observed almost all the sub-species of Wagtails that come into East Pakistan in that area. All the birds observed were changing into the breeding (summer) plumage. Two sub-species however had changed more or or less fully to the summer plumage. One was Motacilla alba alboides, a sub-species of the Pied Wagtail. Several of these could be seen with the back completely black and no trace of white on the throat. The other was Motacilla citreola calcarata, a sub-species of the Yellow-headed Wagtail. Many of these were seen with the back black and the whole head and breast yellow. Some of these however had not changed to the full, summer plumage. Unfortunately the exact date of their emigration could not be observed. Here again is a field open to research students since most Wagtails do not change to full summer plumage before leaving wintering areas. South-east of the big expanses of low marshy land around Tengra Tila (which is three miles from the base of the Khasi Hills) we come up to the higher areas of Sylhet. In this region of dense vegetation one of the most common bird is the Blue-throated Barbet. The continuous Kutrr-Kutrr-Kutrr call of these Barbets in the heat of the after-noon is one of the characteristic features of eastern Sylhet. In the more densely populated part-s one may stand in-between two villages and hear a dozen of these very vocal birds calling from all around. Yet, and here we have another of those gaps in our knowledge, it is strangely absent from most of the adjacent areas to the west and south. It is rarely heard north of Mymensingh town, but to the south it seems to be completely absent though the country is very suitable for it. As far as is known this Barbet has not been seen or heard near Dacca. In over three years of observation I have not seen it in Comilla, Noakhali or Chittagong district. Most curiously it is again common in the western-most part of East Pakistan — in Chapai Nawabganj subdivision, most of which was formerly a part of Malda district, and is now in Rajshahi district. The Blue-throated Barbet is fairly common in mango orchards of Nawabganj and I have also heard it near Rajshahi. Why should it be absent ( or very scarce ) in the whole range of country between eastern Sylhet and western Rajshahi? The types of trees and the thickness of the vegetation are both sultable ( presumably) in the whole of East Pakistan, but it is a strangely local bird. Another example of local distribution is the Jungle Babbler. This is essentially a bird of fairly dry areas, i. e. with 40 to 60 inches of rainfall. In East Pakistan its distribution seems to be governed both by the rainfall and the soil. It prefers areas with less than 75 inches of rainfall and a soil that dries quickly. A large area in the western part of East Pakistan has less than 75 inches of of rainfall but the Jungle Babbler is not found everywhere. It shuns the lower damper areas. It is found as far east as Dacca and Pubail, both of which places have 75 inches of rainfall and reddish clays that dry out fairly rapidly. Further east it is completely absent. In fact the eastern edge of the Madhupur Tract (pleistocene terrace with reddish clays) is a sharp limit to this species and it does not re-appear in the high land of the wetter east.

Last edited:
A possible, plausible explanation ... or not?

● the invalid Sunbird subspecies "Aethopyga siparaja terglanei" (Haroun) ER-RASHID 1966 [syn. Aethopyga siparaja labecula HORSFIELD 1840]

Well done, Martin!

From what I can tell there´s no obvious explanation of the name in the text you managed to find, but after a quick search on the internet I cannot help notice, even if this apparent eponym has a masculine genitive ending (-i) … could it be:

Magdalena Terglane a k a "M. Terglane er Rashid"
… who died 14 February 2014, in the age of 74. Notice of her death (here). Note the first name in the List of Mourners: (her husband?) Haroun Er Rashid …!?

Or is this just a curious coincidence? Alt. a male relative of her? A possible brother-in-law?

Many question marks remain; first; is the author of the "OD" German? Or connected to Germany? Is it this guy who coined the name? Also see this link, here. And are those names common in their respective countries?

Well, that´s all I can find on this name. No other connections found, nor any links to that certain bird, him and her. I just thought it was worth mentioning

Take it for what it is, a simple speculation!

This far (and it´s as far as I´ll go) I´m only fumbling in the dark.

Good luck finding the truth!

Maybe his book Systematic list of the birds of East Pakistan (which I do not have) can throw some light on the name. We may consider as well the father of his (possible) wife. Maybe someone of the family collected with Haroun er-Rashid? Who knows? A little bit about his life here.

Last edited:
Turdus mure

I got the following information from the University of Göttingen:

The name of the two page article is: “Verzeichniß von Säugthieren und Vögeln von Sumatra. (Geschenk des Herrn Major Kreling.)“. It looks like a plain list and No 88 is there:

Turdus mure mas. – mal. Muré.

I have no idea what mas. – mal. could mean?

In Wiskundige opgaven met de oplossingen and other sources I found some

H. F. B. Muré en A. A. P. Muré, handelende onder de firma Gebroeders Muré

Maybe they worked in the Dutch East Indies some time?

Muré

Turdus mure. I wonder if "mal. Mure" is an abbreviation for German malaiisch Malayan (i.e. Mure is an autochthonym)?
With limited knowledge of German I can only contribute with this …

German abbreviation (Abkürzung) for "mal.", here. If used in 1851 I do not know.

Of the Muré Brothers I know absolutely nothing more than they hade Print shop (Boekdrukkerij), in Leiden, Holland, printers of (among other stuff, I guess) the "Wiskundige opgaven met de oplossingen...", (see here). And I doubt that the Kanowit "Muré" has anything to do with this bird. It´s a language spoken (and a District) on Borneo (quite far from Sumatra).

But who knows?

/B
---

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back