• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern California December 2017 (1 Viewer)

San Elijo Lagoon photos.

Attachments

• Anna's Hummingbird.jpg
    Anna's Hummingbird.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Common Yellowthroat.jpg
    Common Yellowthroat.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Greater Yellowlegs.jpg
    Greater Yellowlegs.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 18
  • CA Gnatcatcher.jpg
    CA Gnatcatcher.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Liz in Annie's Canyon.jpg
    Liz in Annie's Canyon.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 19
Day 13
Our last day of birding and too many local parks to cover, we picked the closest and most convenient, starting with San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary. Due to lack of signs and one way roads, we had difficulty finding the correct entrance. We walked at nearby Mason Park again while trying to sort out by phone exactly where we need to go. Thanks to Lee Bush of Los Angeles for helping sort this out, we entered the Sanctuary around 8 and had a fun morning navigating the numerous trails around the various impoundments, picking up Canvasback, Western Sandpiper, Downy Woodpecker, another CA Gnatcatcher and Cedar Waxwing for our trip list. We checked out the very well supplied bookstore at the Visitor Center before eating our lunch and traveling on to Mile Square Regional Park, drawn by reports of a wintering Gray Flycatcher. The usually open, grassy parklike habitat had far fewer birds than San Joaquin making it easier to focus on finding the Flycatcher. Which we did not. Previous reports had the bird where a metal fence bordered the adjacent golf course. Two hours of walking that fence and outlying areas did not produce the tail-dipping, western empidonax I felt was surely there, hiding among the numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers.
We had to leave in mid-afternoon, with concerns of heavy, holiday traffic making for a slow ride to our motel near the airport. Slow, it not. Somehow, Liz got us through the thick and fast traffic to Enterprise where we returned the car and took the shuttle to the airport where the Comfort Inn bus picked us up.

Bird lists here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41337417
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41337419

Attachments

• Allen's Hummingbird.jpg
    Allen's Hummingbird.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Cassin's Kingbird.jpg
    Cassin's Kingbird.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Nuttall's Woodpecker.jpg
    Nuttall's Woodpecker.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Pied-billed Grebe.jpg
    Pied-billed Grebe.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Egyptian Goose.jpg
    Egyptian Goose.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 17
Photos from Mile Square Regional Park.

An uneventful flight home with, thankfully, no delays. Reviewing our bird lists, we totaled 170 species and found most of our target birds.
Thanks to Birding Pals in California that helped us prepare and achieve success in our birding endeavors. Don of Ventura, Christina of Tujunga, Barry of Palm Springs and Theresa of San Diego. Your support was very helpful and encouraging.

Attachments

• Black Phoebe.jpg
    Black Phoebe.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Vermilion Flycatcher.jpg
    Vermilion Flycatcher.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Coot's Feet.jpg
    Coot's Feet.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 21
A wonderful report of an area I'd love to visit - and great to see somebody else winkling every ounce of capability of of the SX50.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks, Mike. It is a diverse state to visit and our trip covered so little of it.
I've had the SX50 for many years now and it is showing its age. During our CA trip, the housing that wraps around the lens came loose. Slips right back on but I need to find an adhesive to fix that.
The Nazca Booby was a stretch even for the 1200mm reach of the Canon. Maybe affected by some heat waves coming off the water?

Steve

Attachments

• SX50.jpg
    SX50.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Nazca Booby.jpg
    Nazca Booby.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 42
Great report, Pete. You brought back memories of my trips to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Grand Canyon national parks, where I saw some of the same birds for the first time. I even had a Green-tailed Towhee (the only one of the trip) peck at my feet in a Grand Teton campground!

Thanks, birdmeister. We also camped at Jenny Lake when we went to Teton NP in June of 2012. Western birding can be like visiting another country.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back