• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 for $200 ? (1 Viewer)

black crow

I'm looking for a decent starter bino in the $200 price range. Can you give me some suggestions? Besides decent optics, weight is a factor. I've been out of it for years and I know there's a lot out there. I need some help narrowing it down. Thanks guys. I could go a tad over $200 but would prefer going a tad under it.

B&H had the Zeiss Terra 8x32 on sale for 199 delivered a few weeks ago....still 229 which is still a decent price....Big rebates right now on all Vanguard bins ...cant remember who has the best prices on them....and a pretty decent price $153 on Bushnell Legend M series on the Bay.....

That's a good start, thanks. It's got to be 10x though.

What about the vortex diamondback 10x32? Nice weight, good fov and comes in at $200 on the dot.

Anyone like it?

Last edited:
If you mean by "starter" binocular an inexpensive binocular that you would recommend to someone who has never had one then I would not recommend a 10x32. It will have a small exit pupil and, at best, an average field of view and larger binoculars with bigger exit pupils will be brighter in twilight conditions. An 8x32 is a much better starter binocular and an 8x42 is even better. Not to mention that you won't notice any "hand tremor" as much with an 8x than with a 10x because the tremors are also magnified more with a 10x than an 8x.

Bob

Last edited:
I would agree with ceasar in that there is no inexpensive 10x32 that is worthy of recommendation. This includes the Vortex DB. There are however a few 8x32’s worth recommending, if you would be willing to consider them.

If you mean by "starter" binocular an inexpensive binocular that you would recommend to someone who has never had one then I would not recommend a 10x32. It will have a small exit pupil and, at best, an average field of view and larger binoculars with bigger exit pupils will be brighter in twilight conditions. An 8x32 is a much better starter binocular and an 8x42 is even better. Not to mention that you won't notice any "hand tremor" as much with an 8x than with a 10x because the tremors are also magnified more with a 10x than an 8x.

Bob

No not a rank beginner and it will be used in High Desert terrain over long distances. Something I'd be willing to spend on a gift for a friend.

I'm looking for a 10 myself but my budget is $400 or less.

Last edited:
I would agree with ceasar in that there is no inexpensive 10x32 that is worthy of recommendation. This includes the Vortex DB. There are however a few 8x32’s worth recommending, if you would be willing to consider them.

Well maybe someone with lowers standards will have a recommendation. :-C I'm sure there's something out there that would quite adequate for someone who's not a bino buff.

I have to agree with this after trying a LOT of 10x32's. There really is no free lunch.

Love my Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky's!

As for standards, the funny thing is that after you use a binocular for a while, your standards tend to climb. ;)

Well maybe someone with lowers standards will have a recommendation. :-C I'm sure there's something out there that would quite adequate for someone who's not a bino buff.

Well.... probably not. This isn't a matter of being a bino buff or having a different level of standards. This is more someone that doesn't even know you and that has no vested interest in how you spend your money trying to help you to not waste your money. At your price level, there is no stand-out 10x32 bino. But, hey -- if you don't want to take the advice that you asked for, then just pick one. Because at this price level, it doesn't really matter.

Well.... probably not. This isn't a matter of being a bino buff or having a different level of standards. This is more someone that doesn't even know you and that has no vested interest in how you spend your money trying to help you to not waste your money. At your price level, there is no stand-out 10x32 bino. But, hey -- if you don't want to take the advice that you asked for, then just pick one. Because at this price level, it doesn't really matter.

Really? At that price level it doesn't matter at all? Every bin out there in 10x is the same but in 8x there's a world of differences?
I had no idea. See ya learn somthin every day.

Last edited:
I have to agree with this after trying a LOT of 10x32's. There really is no free lunch.

Love my Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky's!

As for standards, the funny thing is that after you use a binocular for a while, your standards tend to climb. ;)

I'm not asking about climbing standards. I just wanted something that you can reasonably see through for someones first bino in a 10x. Unlike what another poster said I do suspect there is a difference between $200 10x binoculars.

I can see I asked the wrong question here and I won't make that mistake again.

Last edited:
Don't give up yet, Black Crow!

Inexpensive Roof prism 10x32 binoculars are hard to find. I think that is becoming evident.

There are also 10x30 binoculars. That 2 millimeters won't make much of a difference.;) Kite Optics in Europe makes good 8x30 and 10x30 binoculars but I don't know who sells them in the USA and they can't be called inexpensive.

There is the Vortex 10x32 Diamondback you mentioned which is well built but costs about $250.00. The Vortex Warranty is one of the best in the business. You can purchase one direct from Vortex.

Why don't you try to find a Nikon Pro Staff 7S 10x30? It costs just under $200.00 direct from Nikon although Nikon notes that they are currently "back ordered." (So they must be selling!:king:) They have 15.4mm eye relief and a 315' FOV at 1000 yards.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/prostaff-7s-10x30.html

Or a Nikon Monarch 7 10x30 which costs $399.95 direct from Nikon. It has 1 good review and 1 bad review about glare there.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch-7-10x30.html

Eye relief is 15.4mm and FOV is 351' @ 1000 yards.

Bob

Last edited:
I just got told that the vortex in 10x32 is no different than any other 10x32 in the same price range.

However I have a feeling that it might be worth it looking into your leads and I thank you for your trouble. Not that it's that much trouble. I always found talking about things I love fun. Thanks bro.

BTW I bought a friend a prostaff 12x25 as a xmas stocking stuffer and I was amazed at how optically good it was and that I could actually hold it fairly steady. It cost about $135.

Last edited:
I just got told that the vortex in 10x32 is no different than any other 10x32 in the same price range.

However I have a feeling that it might be worth it looking into your leads and I thank you for your trouble. Not that it's that much trouble. I always found talking about things I love fun. Thanks bro.

BTW I bought a friend a prostaff 12x25 as a xmas stocking stuffer and I was amazed at how optically good it was and that I could actually hold it fairly steady. It cost about $135.

It is a very good pocket size Reverse Porro prism binocular which also comes in 8x25 and 10x25 and it might do the job for you here.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/prostaff-10x25-atb.html

Note the four 5 star reviews it has.

Porro prism binoculars in this price range are almost always better than roof prism binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
Well I really would like to give a 32mm. I have the bushnell Legend 10 x 25 and at $160 I don't think you could ask for anything better.

I did run across this and it goes a bit over two bills but I might consider it. I just don't know much about it yet and I'm looking for reviews.
Leupold Bx-2 Tioga HD Roof Binoculars, Grey, 10 x 32mm

This does not have to be an exceptional bino by any means but I don't want to send him a dog with an obvious flaw that I could avoid in another choice. I want him to like them. Later he can by the ones he "Loves". I love giving optics as gifts.

Thanks I had trouble finding specs on those guys. What I might do is just go for the Sightron 10x32. I know Frank at least looked at them and didn't find them horrible but just not up to the standards of the 8x. I found them on Amazon for $166 and they do have a decent FOV and are not too heavy.

Then all I have to do is try to find something for myself that comes in at around $400. I don't have elitist standards at all but I want something I'll enjoy. I've never gotten a pair of binos that were recommended here at this forum at any price that I didn't like. It's just that I liked some more than others.

Actually I did inherit a pair of Swarovski 8x42 but I rarely use them. They weigh a ton and are the older model and have a close focus of something around 19 ft. lol. They are good optics however when I use them with a monopod off my deck. That doesn't make me elitist.

Don't give up yet, Black Crow!

Inexpensive Roof prism 10x32 binoculars are hard to find. I think that is becoming evident.

There are also 10x30 binoculars. That 2 millimeters won't make much of a difference.;) Kite Optics in Europe makes good 8x30 and 10x30 binoculars but I don't know who sells them in the USA and they can't be called inexpensive.

There is the Vortex 10x32 Diamondback you mentioned which is well built but costs about $250.00. The Vortex Warranty is one of the best in the business. You can purchase one direct from Vortex.

Why don't you try to find a Nikon Pro Staff 7S 10x30? It costs just under $200.00 direct from Nikon although Nikon notes that they are currently "back ordered." (So they must be selling!:king:) They have 15.4mm eye relief and a 315' FOV at 1000 yards.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/prostaff-7s-10x30.html

Or a Nikon Monarch 7 10x30 which costs $399.95 direct from Nikon. It has 1 good review and 1 bad review about glare there.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch-7-10x30.html

Eye relief is 15.4mm and FOV is 351' @ 1000 yards.

Bob

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...-7s-10x30.html

I think you may have found the right ones. They have good reviews although not a lot of them at Amazon but they got 5 stars. I trust Nikon and have owed others. I really like the weight on those. Thank you. You did me a service friend.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-ZULU-BINOCULAR/2302817.uts
SIG Sauer® ZULU3™ 10x32 Binoculars - 179.88 shipping included

https://www.outdoorlife.com/features/gun-and-optics-test/binoculars
SIG SAUER ZULU 3 10X32 -Score: 76.6 Price: $270

"If the glass inside this angular, stylish binocular had been as sharp as its exterior design, we might have awarded it our Editor’s Choice badge. Unfortunately, the Zulu 3’s performance metrics were disappointing. It turned in good resolution scores—probably because of its 10X configuration—but then bombed the low-light test, and our panel noted generally poor image rendition and significant edge distortion.

While the optical capabilities of the Zulu 3 are underwhelming, the styling is interesting and conforms to Sig Sauer’s tactical branding of its new optics line. The armor is designed to deflect light—the company calls it Stealth ID—and makes the binocular look as martial as its name."

Now, if they read a resolution chart at the same distance as 8X that would be ignorant. Likiewise the low-light test was against [drum roll...] 4 other bins all at 8x32. WTF? A 3.2mm EP bombs against a 4MM in low-light? Do tell. ER 14.5mm might be an issue if you wear specs. FOV 341' is none to shabby.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back