• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (3 Viewers)

Hi Dafi - Disastrous morning - looks like all hell's broken loose overnight and my pride and joy - the Polytunnel - has been completely f***ed. Big clear up required now.
Bad, bad day.

timwootton said:
Hi Dafi - Disastrous morning - looks like all hell's broken loose overnight and my pride and joy - the Polytunnel - has been completely f***ed. Big clear up required now.
Bad, bad day.

Oh man sorry to hear that thay are such vunrable things. Bummer. looks like theres been a wee bit of damage here and there but im still waiting for Kate to come in from work before i go for a spin out west.
just had a wee snow flurry! hang in there Tim!!

timwootton said:
Bad, bad day.

Commiserations from down here- saw the forecast last night and wondered if you would take a hiding.

Oh dear . . .

Not after sympathy, or anything, but as you were so concerned - here's how the 'tunnel looks - and the seedlings - and the staging and benches - and my somewhat pi**ed off demeanour.
Shan't be posting much of interest for a while, I'm afraid. Got my hands full with other stuff.
Happy Mother's Day all you Mums!

Attachments

• PolyWreck1.jpg
    PolyWreck1.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 154
timwootton said:
Not after sympathy, or anything, but as you were so concerned - here's how the 'tunnel looks - and the seedlings - and the staging and benches - and my somewhat pi**ed off demeanour.

Oh crikey - an act of god!!

I think the big boss should at least summon a few gusts from the other direction and bl**dy well blow everything back to where it was before!!

..what a view though, I would never get any work done if I had that over my back fence B :)

Matt

Sorry to hear your bad news Tim. Having put one of those up in the past I can understand the frustration of seeing it blown across the garden.

Ha ha! - cheers folks - don't worry -I'm already concocting a new plan . . . .
The tunnel is bent and unusable in its current state, but I think I know what to do with it . . .. . ;)

Major Bummer on the polytunnel Tim! I hope you can sort it out OK.

I haven't dropped by for a while so I've got some catching up to do...

I wasn't sure about the decision to 'kill' the seal background but, now that I see it, I see it was, of course, entirely the right decision. That'll teach me to keep my mouth shut! Love it.

I've just rediscovered watercolours too since my kids bought me a small sketching set for my birthday this weekend. I've been playing and, although I don't think I'll ever go back to watercolour as my primary medium, I'm having a lot of fun with them for sketching.

Peaceful is a word I seem to use a lot to describe paintings on these threads, and your masterful avocet provokes the its use again. Perhaps it's the effect that water in paintings has on me. The avocet is a lovely, mood filled work and, since I'm sure that's the effect you were after, it's another hugh success.

Elizabeth, what a shame about the glaze misbehaving! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be. At least with painting we can see what's happening! The line work on the other piece is beautiful, very oriental looking and it appears to be effortlessly done, and with glaze on pottery to boot! Very, very nice indeed!

Well I'm also fiddling about with oils at the mo so I'm off to see what kind of a sticky mess I make!

Woody

Attachments

• wcspuggies.jpg
    wcspuggies.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 134
  • wc cd.jpg
    wc cd.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 133
Is the weather easing up there, we are still having high winds and tides. A lot of water coming through and over the shingle on to the Marshes flooding the scrapes.

Woody, I really like your 'sketches'. Sketching in watercolor seems to bring a little more life into the subjects. I have been getting an itchin' to do some painting. I've got oils...but I am kind of leaning towards watercolors.
Thanks for the comments on my work. Everyone here will sketch and then improve and detail that sketch, I, on the other hand, sketch and then simplify as much as I can without losing the character of the bird. It was the Great Blue Heron, that I got down to about four lines, but herons are so distinct, that I could probably take it down to one line. I think that might be the only bird one could do that with. What do you all think?

I am a little afraid that Tim may have gone a bit mad(note his last post--the maniacal laughter) after this last storm and the destruction of his polytunnel. I will be interested in seeing his new concoction.

Let's keep the lamps lit!

birdpotter said:
Woody, I really like your 'sketches'. Sketching in watercolor seems to bring a little more life into the subjects. I have been getting an itchin' to do some painting. I've got oils...but I am kind of leaning towards watercolors.
Thanks for the comments on my work. Everyone here will sketch and then improve and detail that sketch, I, on the other hand, sketch and then simplify as much as I can without losing the character of the bird. It was the Great Blue Heron, that I got down to about four lines, but herons are so distinct, that I could probably take it down to one line. I think that might be the only bird one could do that with. What do you all think?

I am a little afraid that Tim may have gone a bit mad(note his last post--the maniacal laughter) after this last storm and the destruction of his polytunnel. I will be interested in seeing his new concoction.

Let's keep the lamps lit!
Thanks Elizabeth, and yes, let's keep the lights on in the bar.

I guess the real trick would be to sketch the living bird with just four lines in the first place, wouldn't that be a joy?

I've been playing with oils for a while now but so far I've had no real success, I'll probably persevere though.
I've posted another small watercolour on my sketchbook thread, they're great for quick studies.

I reckon Tim's been out with a small hammer and some pliers, 're-arranging' the remains of his polytunnel into a giant avocet sculpture...;)

Woody

back

Thanks for the support folks (shame the polytunnel wasn't as fortunate) - and I'm not that creative Woody (by the way love the colur drawings - great character in the sparrows and i love the passively inquisitive collared dove).
Elizabeth - I went mad a long time ago, but it's always nice to revisit that place occasionally. Cheers.
Drink up folks - fresh round coming up!
A bright spot illuminated this little scene in my foeld - so I thought I'd use the vision to produce a drawing - I call it "Field-Working" - cos that's what the birds were doing - systematically working the field.
Cheers . . .

Attachments

• Field-Working.jpg
    Field-Working.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 170
Aha, now this is vibrant, it's buzzing with energy. It's also making me feel inspired for a rework of the chaffinches and brambling pic I did end of last year. (Rework on a new sheet of paper) I'm thinking wax crayons and thick paint - I work in a primary school and the kids have been doing that sort of wax resist picture with excellent results.

Wow! This is great Tim. There's so much going on, just like the experience of watching a 'hot spot' like it in the field. I'm going sketching!...

Woody

No really Tim, this is great. Watercolour time. Its the little things, Starling separating soft ground for leatherjackets. Oystercatcher wing stretching. Curlew, bird I miss.. Scarce here!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back