• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (59 Viewers)

A couple of photos of the boardwalk works at the Flashes

John - if you have your camera on you today could you take some snaps of the phraggy spread on the near shore (and elsewhere if you feel so inclined)

Attachments

• 20150709_173605.jpg
    20150709_173605.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20150709_173712.jpg
    20150709_173712.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 77
The Moors today.

The 3rd brood of common terns have hatched . No sure how many chicks. The other 2 broods are growing rapidly. 9 broods of Tufted. but still no little grebe chicks. The nest in the hook looks abandoned.
GCG 2 + juv. little grebe 8. Greylag 2. Wigeon 2. In eclipse. gadwall + 5 chicks. Shoveler 1. Teal 2 North Moors. tufted 30 + 9 broods totalling c60 chicks. Shelduck 9 flew around from Flashes. lapwing 2. oystercatchers 3. Avocet 20 from Flashes flew around briefly with 1 staying to feed. Common tern 12 + 5 chicks min. BHG 50 max. Cetti's young heard. Plenty of Reed warbler action. Whitehead below East hide.

The Flashes today

First thing I noticed was a fidgety LRP in the cage. Soon it revealed a chick and soon afterwards a wet freshly hatched 2nd one. Hopefully the surrounding drying muddy areas will be less used by BHG'S giving the chicks a better chance of survival. ..The water levels are at a critical stage and we need rain desperately. But in the mean time plenty of waders are are feeding in the shallows.
Counts;
Teal 2. Shelduck 9. tufted brood of. 6. on 3rd Flash.
Blackwit. oystercatchers 4 including juv. Avocet 40 + 7 chicks. LRP 8+2 chicks. Green sand 5. Common sand. Lapwing 45. Curlew 15. . Common tern over. rook 40.

Last edited:
The 3rd brood of common terns have hatched . No sure how many chicks. The other 2 broods are growing rapidly. 9 broods of Tufted. but still no little grebe chicks. The nest in the hook looks abandoned.
GCG 2 + juv. little grebe 8. Greylag 2. Wigeon 2. In eclipse. gadwall + 5 chicks. Shoveler 1. Teal 2 North Moors. tufted 30 + 9 broods totalling c60 chicks. Shelduck 9 flew around from Flashes. lapwing 2. oystercatchers 3. Avocet 20 from Flashes flew around briefly with 1 staying to feed. Common tern 12 + 5 chicks min. BHG 50 max. Cetti's young heard. Plenty of Reed warbler action. Whitehead below East hide.

I have always wanted to see a Whitehead at Upton ;)

A very interesting day at Upton Warren for me.
Got there nice and early and went to the moors first, limped up the path an did the furthest hide first, spent an hour looking and went to the next hide down.
Opened the door to find somebody fast asleep in there, must of been a good night in the local pub.

Met some really interesting people today, cant believe how many use rubbish canon cameras lol, you had to be there to understand the joke.

Cracking day but still no Kingfisher photo, never mind maybe next time.

Hope to be back soon and hopefully the canon 7d gang will have brought a proper camera a Nikon 3:)

Got there nice and early and went to the moors first, limped up the path an did the furthest hide first, spent an hour looking and went to the next hide down.
Opened the door to find somebody fast asleep in there, must of been a good night in the local pub.

It can't be our usual vagrant - Gary is in Scotland at present 8-P

First thing I noticed was a fidgety LRP in the case. Soon it revealed a chick and soon afterwards a wet freshly hatched 2nd one. Hopefully the surrounding drying muddy areas will be less used by BHG'S giving the chicks a better chance of survival. ..The water levels are at a critical stage and we need rain desperately. But in the mean time plenty of waders are are feeding in the shallows.
Counts;
Teal 2. Shelduck 9. tufted brood of. 6. on 3rd Flash.
Blackwit. oystercatchers 4 including juv. Avocet 40 + 7 chicks. LRP 8+2 chicks. Green sand 5. Common sand. Lapwing 45. Curlew 15. . Common tern over. rook 40.

I take it the three Ruff had moved on? Did Alan give an indication of the mix of birds - presumably the long-staying moulting male and .....?

Met some really interesting people today, cant believe how many use rubbish canon cameras lol, you had to be there to understand the joke.

Cracking day but still no Kingfisher photo, never mind maybe next time.

Hope to be back soon and hopefully the canon 7d gang will have brought a proper camera a Nikon 3:)

Did hear about the 'dosser', will keep an eye on that situation. Sorry couldn't get there early enough to meet you. Did you manage to get a permitB :) john

I have always wanted to see a Whitehead at Upton ;)
To try and overcome my perceived dixlexia I now used predictive text on my mobile , but it causes me more problems.....totally the wrong words.
Whitethroat it should have red ....
Also House sparrow x 2 in sailing pool car park. A year tick for me B :)
also plenty of marbled white in the small field on the south side of the buildings.

Some photo from a rubbish canon cameras lol

Attachments

• Common Tern A 2J4A8416.jpg
    Common Tern A 2J4A8416.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Common Tern A 2J4A8417.jpg
    Common Tern A 2J4A8417.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Common Tern A 2J4A8419.jpg
    Common Tern A 2J4A8419.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Common Tern A 2J4A8431.jpg
    Common Tern A 2J4A8431.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Common Tern A 2J4A8515.jpg
    Common Tern A 2J4A8515.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 52
More Canon rubbish! On a bridge too!

Visited the Flashes earlyish am and again late afternoon.

1. Long-tailed Tit on umbellifer.
2. Female Bullfinch on Cuckoo Hide handrail - its young family went ahead of us all the way to the far hide and dived for cover opposite the steps.
3. Goldfinch enjoying thistle seed directly in front of the Avocet Hide.
4. Little Ringed Plover making the most of the changeover from nest-sitting duties.
5. Solo Curlew preening - the rest of the flock was on the far meadow.

(The two Little Ringed Plover chicks were exploratory and ventured outside the cage occasionally, only to dive back inside and knock on the door to be brooded - quite entertaining. They are obviously expecting a new sibling soon.)

Attachments

• IMG_3449a.jpg
    IMG_3449a.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3455a.jpg
    IMG_3455a.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3518a.jpg
    IMG_3518a.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3898a.jpg
    IMG_3898a.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3697a.jpg
    IMG_3697a.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 43
More from the Flashes:-

1 & 2. Black-tailed Godwit

3 & 4. Trio of male Ruff (3. am - 4. pm)

Attachments

• IMG_3795a.jpg
    IMG_3795a.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3880a.jpg
    IMG_3880a.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3559a.jpg
    IMG_3559a.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3587a.jpg
    IMG_3587a.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 80
The left-hand bird in the third photo / centre bird in the fourth photo looks like the long-staying Ruff (now present for its tenth day).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back