• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery aythya (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi all you duck lovers,
what do you think of this? found it in the net, will give location and date later...didn´t see it myself, would have been nice.

It was observed 20.4.-13.5.2000 at the nature reserve Rieselfelder Münster near the city of Münster in the north of Northrhine-Westfalia and was after some discussion considered to be a Redhead.
People were concerned because of the washed out black stripe on the bill going over the nostrils, as this didnt seem to fit into the normal redhead bill pattern.

I would also accept this as a Redhead, but wanted to have the opinions of more experienced people. Thanks!

Jörn

Oh no not ANOTHER Aythya !!!

Orange eye . . . Redhead is yellow, Pochard is red. Redhead also has a rather more rounded head, this looks a bit too Pochard shaped for me. The bill pattern is also a bit 'iffy', with that dark streak down to the nostril.

I'll go for Pochard x Redhead hybrid, though Pochard x Ferruginous is also a good possibility

Michael

The thing that concerned me in the first photo was how insignificant the white bill stripe looked. This is a noticable feature of every Redhead I've ever seen (UK and US) and I was leaning towards a Pochard X Fudge Hybrid.
Thanks to Joern for the link to the other photos, 'cos I can see that it is actually there in one of the head on shots. I don't see anything else to rule out Redhead.

Did it look noticably broader and bulkier than Pochard? and was it spinning? Maybe it is just me but my recollection of Redhead is that they sit with their head tucked under their wing and spin around in slow circles!!!!

Darrell

Hi Darrell,
Yes it was described as slightly bigger than Pochard and also lying higher in the water.

Nothing about spinning though; but I doubt that could be a feature used for ID, I have seen the same behaviour in sleeping or resting Pochards and Tufties (at least I would guess so after your description)

Jörn

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back