• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lighter nights. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
:hi: With the onset of light nights i took a trip up to my local patch to check on a pair of little owl's. They seem to have settled nicley into their new location after nearly being killed last year. Its a long story the quick version is some sicko's thought it would be fun to shoot them and then set fire to them, but we got there in time thanks to a local dog walker, they were very distressed but a good vet and some TLC did the trick.

Also on a stretch of water 5 minutes walk away from the owls are a pair of kingfishers, & Dippers, so it looks like the waters are clearing up? well i hope its a good sign. Will keep you updated.
bert.

Well, since it's also getting warmer (Not right now though, it's pouring rain, at a steady 40-something degrees fahrenheit...), i could stand to wait outside for owls until it gets too dark to photograph one. How do you even find them, anyhow?

Saw a couple this afternoon, Bert - they are lovely creatures, for sure. How anyone could harm something so innocent is beyond me.

Our short-eared owls are supposed to be diurnal, too, but the only time I see them at this time of year is early evening. Maybe when they have young they fly in daylight, rather like barn owls?

Last edited:
diurnal owls? What's the catch? Is the world really going mad?

What about Great Horned Owls?

I saw short eared owl last week hunting at 1pm and missed a Barn owl by 10 minutes that was seen hunting at 11:30 am. I also saw a Little owl 2 days ago about 1-2 hours before sunset, the only owl I regularly see only after dark is Tawny owl

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back