• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vantage Point Survey methods (1 Viewer)

u10ajf

Andrew Francis
Hi Folks,
My name is Andy Francis, I do surveys for environmental impact assessment for wind farms. Part of the job requires plotting flight lines of birds on maps and estimating their heights at 15 second intervals. In essence this is very simple but when you think about it it's actually 3D trigonometry (which has also been said about catching a ball but its easier to know if you miss the catch!). For some reason, and in spite of the growing wind-farm development market, there is no information about methods and equipment for the purpose. I am trying to research the use of compass binoculars with reticule rangefinders (the ones with lines on which you use to measure the apparent angle subtended by an object) because laser rangefinders struggle to aquire targets at distances and are expensive. The main caveat in this method is that most compass binoculars lack inclinometers. Apart from laser rangefinding types the only model I've found with one is a 7x50 model with electronic compass that is made by Bushnell. I wondered if anyone has any experience of compass binoculars with reticules. I am hoping to engage as many bird workers as I can in discussing this matter and the methods they use to train themselves because this area of knowledge seems so un-discussed that there is practically no information on the internet and optics manufacturers don't generally seem to be making equipment for this purpose. I have attached a document for appraisal and feedback.

Attachments

• Flight Line mapping method.docx
    139.4 KB · Views: 128
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back