• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 884, or refurbish my TSN-4? (1 Viewer)

curtA2

Hello,

I have had a Kowa TSN 4 since they came out. My digiscoping has been with my iphone - hand held or with a homemade mount through a 30x wide. I want to improve my setup and have a few bucks, but not unlimited (I am married, ya know) I could fix up my TSN 4 and get a camera, adaptors etc for that and spend more or less what I need to, or I could spring for a new scope (Kowa 884 presumably) and scrape for digiscoping equipment for ... um probably a year. I mean, the TSN 4 is a great scope, but I wonder if I should move on and start setting up on the best I can get. I really want to extend my reach since I shoot a lot of gulls and ducks way out over the water. Just wondering people's thoughts on this?

The TSN 884 is a fine scope But expensive if funds are limited, have you considered the opticron eyepieces they work very well on the kowa you have and much better than the original ones.

I think the Opticron zooms are better than the old Kowa zoom, but personally I think the 30x Kowa eyepieces are better than the Opticrons, particularly for digiscoping.

Another option would be to get a second-hand 824. Will show some improvement over your TSN4 at a fraction of the cost of the 884...

I'd be tempted to stick with the TSN4 though if I were you and maybe look out for the twistup Kowa 20x WA angle (TSE-21WD) as an additional digiscoping option - it's a great eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back