• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what printer/scanner? (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
i have no idea about PCs and printers, but im after a decent printer to combine my new hobby of photography.

i want to print out good images from my EOS 350D and A95 canon cameras.

im not sure if compatibility will be an issue, so here is what PC i have:

Advent T9305
3.0 GHZ, pentium 4
250GB hard disk
1024MB DDR memory
X300 graphic scard

plus loads more things etc.

the pics look brilliant on my screen, a 19'' samsung syncmaster 193v, i would like a printer that prints images as good as they look on screen.

thanks folks.

salty said:
i have no idea about PCs and printers, but im after a decent printer to combine my new hobby of photography.

i want to print out good images from my EOS 350D and A95 canon cameras.

QUOTE]

I'm using a crap HP printer at the moment, having previously using a Lexmark. I hope to get a decent printer soon, and the one i'm looking at is the Epsom R1800.

http://www.parkcameras.com/epson/printers/stylusphotor1800.htm

I really do want an A3 printer, and i've heard this is a good one for the price. It uses 8 cartridges (my current one uses three and it rubbish!)

salty said:
wow, only £100 too, im liking that!

rezmole, 8 cartriges? - wont that be mega expensive to run?

They're less than a tenner each. My current printer has only one colour cartridge and i have to chuck them when they are still half full - keep using too much blue ink (sky and grass). More cartridges are more efficient. Some colour you use very little of, so don't have to replace very often.

Just thing though. A nice A3 print of that Eagle Owl you're gonna shap next year!

rezMole said:
They're less than a tenner each. My current printer has only one colour cartridge and i have to chuck them when they are still half full - keep using too much blue ink (sky and grass). More cartridges are more efficient. Some colour you use very little of, so don't have to replace very often.

Just thing though. A nice A3 print of that Eagle Owl you're gonna shap next year!

LOL, hope so!

im actually after getting my best raptor pics blown up and framed for my house, just need to get some good weather so i can start 'work' :cool:

salty said:
LOL, hope so!

im actually after getting my best raptor pics blown up and framed for my house, just need to get some good weather so i can start 'work' :cool:

Yeah, i can imagine 10 of my best, printed to A3 and framed, on my bedroom walls. Oh, how that would give sweet dreams.

Seriously, take a look at the R1800. You know you want an A3 printer!!!

I have the R1800's small brother the R800. Both these printers both use pigment ink as opposed to Dye. Print quality is stunning.

salty said:
A3 doesnt bother me too much, a good A4 sized printer would be just as good.
I bought an Epson R220 yesterday at Argos for £69, that should do all you require... doesn't print to A3, doesn't have a little lcd display and doesn't accept memory cards. It is just a good cheap photo printer.

Have to say most of my prints are done via an online printer, but I always need something to do small prints at home.

cheers,
Andy

salty said:
LOL, hope so!

I hope thats to hang on the inside mate.

Ray

Hi Salty,

I have an HP Photosmart 7660 Printer which can print A4 and smaller photo's and the quality is brilliant. I bought it from Argos last year, it was on sale for £79.99 instead of £145. I would pay the £145 if I had to as it's really good. It has a card reader built in and takes most makes of memory cards.

Hope this helps in some way.

Brian.

Hi, Salty,

If you are happy with A4 check out the Canon Pixma IP8500.
Not cheap but I love mine.
The build quality is great as too is the print quality.
I have had Epsoms in the past but I experieced problems with all of them, mainly mechanical. Eventually decided to go Canon and have not regretted my decision. Had the IP8500 for 9 months.... its like new!

Trev

POP said:
Nobody seems to be commenting on scanners.

POP

Just received mine today, an Epsom Perfection 4490, gets seriously good write ups so looking forward to getting to grips with it as I've a lot of slides I want digitising.

Andy I bought the Epsom R200 from Misco 2 months ago (£57) your 220 replaced it, I'm also pleased with results from photo printing and it prints directly onto printable CD's.

Stewart

Skipton said:
Hi, Salty,

If you are happy with A4 check out the Canon Pixma IP8500.
Not cheap but I love mine.
The build quality is great as too is the print quality.
I have had Epsoms in the past but I experieced problems with all of them, mainly mechanical. Eventually decided to go Canon and have not regretted my decision. Had the IP8500 for 9 months.... its like new!

Trev

I've just bought the Canon Pixma IP5200....superb!

Frank

Stewart J. said:
Andy I bought the Epsom R200 from Misco 2 months ago (£57) your 220 replaced it, I'm also pleased with results from photo printing and it prints directly onto printable CD's.

Stewart

Ditto. Bought mine about a year ago and it is perfectly fine for printing photos.

Scanner - I've got the Canon 9950F, I wanted something that could handle prints, negs and slides. It is great, but takes ages to load slides/negs into the tray - guess this is the same with most though.

Cheers Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back