• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow finch trying to come thru the window (1 Viewer)

starhum

Hi, folks.

For the past four days there's been a pretty yellow finch flying up against the glass windows on the northwest side of the house in the morning and again just before dusk. It seems to favor only the large picture window, the kitchen window, and the back door with the glass panes, all within a stretch of about 20 feet.

Does anyone here know about this seemingly unusual behavior?

I'm afraid the little thing will wear itself out and die. It's not hitting the glass hard, just fluttering around, back and forth amongst the windows.

The kids have recently stuck some stained-glass-type tulip flowers on one of the windows, and we thought the bird might be attracted to that, but it's going for other windows, as well.

The yellow finch has only rarely been sighted at our house - one day last spring for a few hours around the finch feeder on the other side of the house, but otherwise, they haven't hung around.

--------------------
About me: I'm a 50 year old married dad with three teenage children. I work at home frequently and I'm in the yard a lot admiring what I consider to be the garden of Eden. We've got mockingbirds, hummingbirds, brown thrasher, hawks, owls, whip-poor-will, pileated woodpecker, redheaded woodpecker, common flicker, wrens (that entertain us by hatching offspring around the house), eastern bluebird, blue jay, eastern phoebe (that returns every spring to find a mate to build a nest on the front porch), and other little birds that we haven't identified. Plus, there are deer, armodilla, coyote, fox, five kinds of lizard or skink, tree frogs, rattlesnakes, etc... - but those are for a different forum.

Thanks for any insight about the yellow finch behavior.

-Trip

I know it's not ideal but could you put up some posters for a couple of days so that it doesn't try to fly 'through' the window? Might be worth a go.

Chris

CBB said:
I know it's not ideal but could you put up some posters for a couple of days so that it doesn't try to fly 'through' the window? Might be worth a go.
Chris

Thanks, Chris. I might try that. I also thought I would move the finch feeder to that side of the house to see if that could occupy him.

-Trip

Hi Trip and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It's probably fighting its reflection thinking it is a usurper in his territory.

What I do is keep a roll of screening around for when this happens and I cover the whole outside of the window with the screening. Good luck.

KCFoggin said:
Hi Trip and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It's probably fighting its reflection thinking it is a usurper in his territory.

What I do is keep a roll of screening around for when this happens and I cover the whole outside of the window with the screening. Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome, KC.

That makes sense. I had not thought of it, since I hadn't noticed them establishing territory around here. The fact that it comes back each day seems to support that idea. I'll try the screens or posters.

-Trip

Mark Bruce said:
Hi Trip,a warm welcome and good to have you with us.

Thanks, Mark and Richie.

I discovered the yellow finch has a mate, and they're still hanging around but on the other side of the property. I'm trying to clean out the feeder that we had abandoned due to not seeing finches on it. I'll see if that interests them enough to stay a while....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back