• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tape lures (1 Viewer)

novice2

Hello everyone,

I have to use tape-lures to try and catch my study species, a moorland passerine. Several other methods have been used in the past (mist net/spring traps) but after several discussions, it has been suggested to me that the use of lures may increase the chance of catching birds for ringing and identification purposes.

Can anyone suggest what equipment I may need and where I can obtain this from?

Many thanks,

A recording of your target species ( not an alarm call ! ), a CD player and powered active speakers all available from Argos !

Lindsay

Firstly It depends on the species you are trying to catch, and what time of year it is as birds will respond differently to calls throughout the year. I am sure you are aware of the required licences to use tape lures but I would check your permit allows it especially if it in the up and coming breeding season. I will PM you on what I have.

Adults of some birds are very responsive now, as they're getting territorial. Juvs immediately post-independence are also suckers, and less discriminating. Really territorial stuff like Nuthatch and Great Spot and Coal Tit and Robin are easy to attract.

I think you will find it difficult to catch Mipits in a spring trap if you are tape luring and almost impossible if using a stuffed bird as they will not pay any attention to food in the trap. Thought about a spring trap on a post look at this http://www.moudry.cz/ product EP30. above a stuffed stoat may work.

Ade George said:
I think you will find it difficult to catch Mipits in a spring trap if you are tape luring and almost impossible if using a stuffed bird as they will not pay any attention to food in the trap. Thought about a spring trap on a post look at this http://www.moudry.cz/ product EP30. above a stuffed stoat may work.

I've used those traps to catch Stonechats and they're pretty effective, but initially expensive. Not sure how effective they'd be with Mipits though.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back