• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

So I actually went birding in Torry today, just like old times. And just like old times I didn't see very much. The best of it was a Red-breasted Merganser in the harbour, a Common Scoter off the Coo and around fifty Purple Sandpipers in Greyhope Bay. It was, of course, lovely to be back though.

A grey plover in Greyhope bay this lunchtime, and a bit of thrush movement with 12+ fieldfare and a redwing.

Dip of the day, from the office window. I return from the loo to find the whole office stood at the window looking into the harbour - I'd missed an otter by less than 30 seconds...!

I managed to have an actual walk round the Ness today in the actual sun. Two big rarities at once there. It's raining again now, in cae you're wondering. There was perhaps a bit of a repeat of what Mark saw yesterday. There were two Grey Plovers on Greyhope Bay, where there was also a Dunlin. Two Fieldfares were also seen, one flying in off the sea. Other stuff included three Red-breasted Mergansers, a Common Scoter and my first Fulmar of the year. Two Teal were in the flood at St Fittick's.

It was also a good day for photographing everyone's favourite totalising wader, as well as being good for waves over the breakwater.

Attachments

• Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214a.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214a.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214d.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214d.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214b.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214b.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214c.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_010214c.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Girdle Ness_010214a.jpg
    Girdle Ness_010214a.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 56
One other notable sighting was the first Fridge of the year near Walker Park. This seems to be a rare melanistic individual - maybe an 'eastern race'.

Attachments

• Fridge_Girdle Ness_010214a.jpg
    Fridge_Girdle Ness_010214a.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 63
A woodcock today by the walled garden. Also, the highest wader counts of the year with 213 oystercatcher, 104 redshank and 53 turnstone. Purple sand totaliser hit 140. I've not seen them for a few days though - it would be interesting to know where they went when the high tide breakwater roost wasn't available.

The two Grey Plover were again about on Greyhope Bay, and the Fridge was still present nearby. My best bird was a lovely adult Little Gull drifting north off the Coo. A Buzzard went north over the allotments too.

I suspect the Purple Sandpipers sometimes roost on the north side of the North Pier in rough weather. I'm not certain but I've sometimes seen groups flying in that direction at high tide when it's stormy.

A nice selection of waders today included the 2 grey plovers, a dunlin, and a very showy bar-tailed godwit on the little beach on the harbour side of the biggest breakwater.

At least one grey plover still at greyhope bay. First skylark of the year today, and better yet, a yellowhammer over!

Been much more productive of late than I was expecting.

I had a very pleasant surprise today when I noticed the shape of a small warbler flitting around in the battery willows. I had even more of a surprise when I lifted the bins to see that it was a very siberian looking chiffchaff! I couldn't make it call, but it responded to a range of tristis noises and ignored a range of collybitta noises...

I'll go and have another look/listen after work...

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 81
A swift look round this morning was relatively quiet. Still one Grey Plover on Greyhope Bay and I again had a Little Gull offshore. Quite a bit of dolphin activity for the first time in a while. The Fridge was still present, for anyone thinking of travelling for it.

Had another quick look around this afternoon. A Grey Plover was still in Greyhope Bay and a juvenile Little Gull was offshore. There was more gull interest in Nigg Bay. As is often the case, a fairly substantial roost of Common Gulls was developing. I thought maybe if I looked carefully through them I might find something of interest. This proved to be about a hundred times easier than expected. After about 30 seconds I picked out an adult Mediterranean Gull flying in over the main flock before settling on the water. I lost track of it soon after. I guess it might be the one Nick had Blackdog yesterday, so perhaps it roosts here regularly - maybe worth keeping an eye out over the coming nights. It's only the second Med Gull I've ever seen here.

Two little gulls offshore this lunchtime, a 2cy and an adult, which looked rather splendid. Also, 2 peregrine chasing each other around the harbour this morning.

I had a Peregrine fly past my window this morning. Around the Ness a Grey Plover was still on Greyhope Bay. A drake Long-tailed Duck was on Nigg Bay and a Snipe was flushed from the burgeoning marsh at St Fittick's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back