• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (7 Viewers)

Was I one of his new friends you saw? I spent quite a bit of time with him yesterday forenoon (I don't normally do mornings) and he posed very happily for some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5099_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5099_edited-1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 111
Was I one of his new friends you saw? I spent quite a bit of time with him yesterday forenoon (I don't normally do mornings) and he posed very happily for some photos.

Nice picture Ken! I was thinking more of gull friends, as he seems to quite like people. I saw him again this morning, flying over the harbour and rather nearer to my flat.

Holding Pattern

It was a nice day here in Aberdeen today. If I was more optimistic I would almost say 'spring-like'. But that's maybe stretching it a bit.

The birds were following a holding pattern with much the same crowd around as has been for the past week or two. The Glaucous Gull was again loitering with intent around the harbour mouth. The 1st winter drake King Eider was still off the foghorn, although it took me several minutes to find before it appeared amongst the main flock. 105 Purple Sandpipers and 96 Redshanks were roosting on the old pier and a rather sickly looking 1st winter Kittiwake was on the new pier. 2 drake Long-tailed Ducks flew north and 2 Red-breasted Mergansers and 4 Red-throated Divers were around the river mouth or off the end of the Ness. A male Stonechat was on the south side bank and there was a flock of 15-20 Rock Pipits on the golf course. Earlier in the day I saw my first Bottle-nosed Dolphins of the year, two milling about the river mouth.

Glonk on the roof

The Glaucous Gull has been continuing to show from the flat the past couple of days. Yesterday it was sat about on the golf course, scaring the dogs. Today it was loafing about on a warehouse roof in the harbour, enabling this series of high-quality capture to be obtained. Okay, maybe they're not that great but I was sat on my bed when I took them.

Even more momentously, I managed a house tick today, which was (and I think a drum roll is necessary)....

... a Wren. In next door's garden. Strangely elusive round within ear or eye-shot of the flat, despite being rather common around Girdle Ness.

The drake Goosander is still around the Victoria Bridge.

Attachments

• Glaucous Gull Girdle Ness 210108a.jpg
    Glaucous Gull Girdle Ness 210108a.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Glaucous Gull Girdle Ness 210108b.jpg
    Glaucous Gull Girdle Ness 210108b.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 112
That Glauc looks ill, - mind ,most young Glaucs do - punkbirder got it right - pass the sick bag!
Nice one with the Wren though.

Last edited:
The Glaucous Gull was again around the harbour mouth this morning but there's been no further sign of the Wren, if anyone was thinking of going for it.

No sign, although the bird hasn't been looked for over the past few days - unless anybody else has been looking?

Damn! I'd been hoping it would stay until the weekend, which is the earliest I could go for it. If anyone else from Deeside was planning to go for it, we could split the fuel costs. If I can get a carful I reckon it would be 90p each.

Damn! I'd been hoping it would stay until the weekend, which is the earliest I could go for it. If anyone else from Deeside was planning to go for it, we could split the fuel costs. If I can get a carful I reckon it would be 90p each.

Don't forget to factor in the collection money. I think it's for the Children of Shipwrecked Sailors this time so you can't really give less than a couple of quid.

I believe all of the Scottish forms of wren are currently under review, and there is a realistic possibility that Torry Wren could be given full species status soon.

I believe all of the Scottish forms of wren are currently under review, and there is a realistic possibility that Torry Wren could be given full species status soon.

I think we'd better all get up there straightaway and get it as an insurance tick. Given the current scarcity, it's fully possible that it could be extinct before the BTO makes its mind up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back