• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

away from home (1 Viewer)

amasara

amasara
While visiting my daugheter in Cols.Oh this weekend we noticed a pair of mallards waddling from house to house in her neighborhood. No time to dig out the camera but I would have titled it "Make up your mind Minny!" She was diligently hunting a place to nest and papa was patiently following. I read once where they nest a mile or so from their water source and then lead the ducklings to the water soon after hatching! From experience - before I read the previous - I "rescued" a lone hatchling running down a highway - brought it home and fixed it a nice home in a hamster cage - only to find it had broken its neck trying to jump out! I should have just walked over to the river the road ran beside and dropped it in!!

Last edited:
I took my two grandaughters (7 and 9) to Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge in southern Indiana yesterday....they love to go there as I will let them "loose" in the car/van.....which means they can sit in the front seat, or the very back.....UN-restrained! (I drive really slow). :eek:)

Anyway, they each had a pair of binoculars, and we stopped to gaze at a couple great egrets and several great blue herons....the 7 year old proclaimed the egrets "TOTALLY AWESOME"! Just made me laugh! They were both very enthused about the birds they saw (last time it was tree swallows!). I love it! Last visit, they were also quite fascinated with a water snake that swam along the edge of MacDonald Marsh....it had the front part of it's body perpendicular to the remainder....and looked a bit like a skinny submarine with a periscope.

We also saw four different little fawns....two with a mom, one with a mom, and one who skittered out in front of us on a little gravel one-way road....and then was just too cute as it tried to decide which way to go. I told the girls I was sure mom was close by. What a cute little critter!

We've been there many times, and they always are eager to pack a lunch, eat on the fishing/observation dock at Stanfield Lake, and creep through the refuge "looking for whatever we can see."

I'll be heading up to Ontario on Thursday. It's not a birding trip but I'll haul along all of my gear just in case. I know that I'll get a chance to do some locally up there but I doubt if I'll be able to get Point Pelee or any other really good spot, but then again, you never know.

snowyowl said:
I'll be heading up to Ontario on Thursday. It's not a birding trip but I'll haul along all of my gear just in case. I know that I'll get a chance to do some locally up there but I doubt if I'll be able to get Point Pelee or any other really good spot, but then again, you never know.

Point Pelee.... a place I'd love to see! Too bad you're not coming a 'little' further north Dan! Have a good trip.

marianna said:
I took my two grandaughters (7 and 9) to Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge in southern Indiana yesterday....they love to go there as I will let them "loose" in the car/van.....which means they can sit in the front seat, or the very back.....UN-restrained! (I drive really slow). :eek:)

Anyway, they each had a pair of binoculars, and we stopped to gaze at a couple great egrets and several great blue herons....the 7 year old proclaimed the egrets "TOTALLY AWESOME"! Just made me laugh! They were both very enthused about the birds they saw (last time it was tree swallows!). I love it! Last visit, they were also quite fascinated with a water snake that swam along the edge of MacDonald Marsh....it had the front part of it's body perpendicular to the remainder....and looked a bit like a skinny submarine with a periscope.

We also saw four different little fawns....two with a mom, one with a mom, and one who skittered out in front of us on a little gravel one-way road....and then was just too cute as it tried to decide which way to go. I told the girls I was sure mom was close by. What a cute little critter!

We've been there many times, and they always are eager to pack a lunch, eat on the fishing/observation dock at Stanfield Lake, and creep through the refuge "looking for whatever we can see."
What a lovely day Marianna - must try that with my grandkids the next time they come! They do get to see the fawns in our side yard as I feed them daily. At first they pay no attention to the corn but it doesn't take them long to discover what Mom's eating is good! One stayed 10 mins past Mom's leaving the other day - I finally shooed it on - afraid it would overeat!

Last edited:
Tammie said:
Point Pelee.... a place I'd love to see! Too bad you're not coming a 'little' further north Dan! Have a good trip.
More than a "little" further north, I think! ;) I wish I was heading up in that direction. Southern Ontario is too crowded, too fast and has too much car exhausts for me. Even with all of that it is still a beautiful area.
I'd try to get to Pelee on this trip but suspect that there wouldn't be much activity there at this time of year. Maybe I should go on line and check it out.

snowyowl said:
More than a "little" further north, I think! ;) I wish I was heading up in that direction. Southern Ontario is too crowded, too fast and has too much car exhausts for me. Even with all of that it is still a beautiful area.
I'd try to get to Pelee on this trip but suspect that there wouldn't be much activity there at this time of year. Maybe I should go on line and check it out.
It's fabulous up here at this time of year but not too much action birdwise here either. On the plus side, the bugs have dropped off considerably most of the time!
I agree with your take on Southern Ontario... nice place to visit once in a while but I certainly could never handle living down there. The north is in my blood, I think!
Keep us posted on what you do see tho', Dan.

I've sort of abondoned Point Pelee in favor of Crane Creek, (at least in the spring) because Crane Creek almost always has birds. Point Pelee, the weather conditions have to be just right, and I have never gone there on a day when the weather conditions formed a fallout. But I've been there in the fall, and I like to go birding there in the fall.

We are heading out this morning. We plan to drive through New Brunswick to Maine then New Hampshire, Vermont, possibly northern Mass. to New York and on to Ontario at Niagara Falls. Three days driving to get there and hopefully a few birds on the way. :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back