• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

Bump

A bit of a bump for "our" SX50 Thread, we seem to be getting lost with all the hullabaloo of the SX60. Still not seeing much in the results to convince me to upgrade. There seems to be better quality Video and the EVF sounds great but the stills aren't showing the same quality yet. Perhaps it's just that the new owners are still trying to find the optimum settings.

Anyway here's some shots with the SX50 from yesterday

Attachments

• 6451aStonec.jpg
    6451aStonec.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 6445Stonec.jpg
    6445Stonec.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 6454Stonec.jpg
    6454Stonec.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 6457Stonec.jpg
    6457Stonec.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 6472GreyP.jpg
    6472GreyP.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 161
A bit of a bump for "our" SX50 Thread, we seem to be getting lost with all the hullabaloo of the SX60. Still not seeing much in the results to convince me to upgrade. There seems to be better quality Video and the EVF sounds great but the stills aren't showing the same quality yet. Perhaps it's just that the new owners are still trying to find the optimum settings.

They are amazing in the detail you've got.:t:

As a new SX50 owner, this is the best I could do, a Snow Bunting on the beach in Suffolk today...

Attachments

• IMG_0922c.JPG
    IMG_0922c.JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 223
I was on Auto setting and am not sure if FlexiZone is the default setting there.

I assume you think my Snow Bunting shot has focussing issues?

Somehow it looks to me that it could be more focused. I wasn't sure. If the bird was pretty close and you didn't use much zoom then it could have been more focused, I think. Farther away at max zoom, sometimes that as good as it gets. It looks cropped too so that would also do it.

The thing with AUTO, the camera will try to guess what you really want to focus on. It could easily pick something other than the bird even if the bird is in the center of the screen. That's what the green rectangle is when you half-press the shutter button. Sometimes there can be multiple rectangles. Sometimes the bird will be in the center but if some bush is to the side and closer, the camera will often think that you really want to focus on the bush. That's no good.

With flexzone on, the camera will simply put the green focus rectangle in the center of the screen. It's not going to try to guess. Presumably you are also aiming to have the bird in the center. Then it will focus on the bird. It will focus on whatever is in that green rectangle in the center of the screen. (There are ways to move it but that's almost never needed).

Flexzone is not default when in pure AUTO. The way to make it default is to go to Menus and set AF Frame to Flexzone. Then scroll down the menu options and save the setting to either C1 or C2. Then keep the camera set on which ever, C1 or C2, you saved it to. You can save other setting changes default for C1 or C2 also. Pretty much any setting change can be made default for C1 or C1.

Last edited:
Somehow it looks to me that it could be more focused. I wasn't sure. If the bird was pretty close and you didn't use much zoom then it could have been more focused, I think. Farther away at max zoom, sometimes that as good as it gets. It looks cropped too so that would also do it.

The thing with AUTO, the camera will try to guess what you really want to focus on. It could easily pick something other than the bird even if the bird is in the center of the screen. That's what the green rectangle is when you half-press the shutter button. Sometimes there can be multiple rectangles. Sometimes the bird will be in the center but if some bush is to the side and closer, the camera will often think that you really want to focus on the bush. That's no good.

With flexzone on, the camera will simply put the green focus rectangle in the center of the screen. It's not going to try to guess. Presumably you are also aiming to have the bird in the center. Then it will focus on the bird. It will focus on whatever is in that green rectangle in the center of the screen. (There are ways to move it but that's almost never needed).

Flexzone is not default when in pure AUTO. The way to make it default is to go to Menus and set AF Frame to Flexzone. Then scroll down the menu options and save the setting to either C1 or C2. Then keep the camera set on which ever, C1 or C2, you saved it to. You can save other setting changes default for C1 or C2 also. Pretty much any setting change can be made default for C1 or C1.
Thanks very much, that's really helpful and I appreciate it.
I've avoided diving into the settings so far, (I didn't find them terribly intuitive) but will now try and understand it better.

Very nice!

A few more to add to the SX50 bump...

AndyM

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 219
Very nice indeed, so sharp...how far away was the Brablimg?

About 10-15 metres away (full zoom, 2.0x - as usual). It was actually quite dull when it was taken and it amazes how, me just when you think the light is useless, it all turns out rather nicely.

'So sharp' but don't ever forget that with modern image manipulation software, a pigs ear is never a lost cause ;)

AndyM

About 10-15 metres away (full zoom, 2.0x - as usual). It was actually quite dull when it was taken and it amazes how, me just when you think the light is useless, it all turns out rather nicely.

'So sharp' but don't ever forget that with modern image manipulation software, a pigs ear is never a lost cause ;)

AndyM

I'd love to turn your pig's ear into a silk purse, so what "image manipulation software" do I need to accomplish such a feat?

I'd love to turn your pig's ear into a silk purse, so what "image manipulation software" do I need to accomplish such a feat?

Okay, I usually use Nikon ViewNX2 with Neat Image for noise reduction (ALWAYS saving the original file as a .tiff for a lossless format during each process/save until finished).

Canons DPP, that is bundled with the SX40/50/60, is quite adequate having just about all the tools you need including noise reduction, which in my book, makes all the difference.

Anyway, a few more that I'd forgotten about....

AndyM

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1383a.jpg
    IMG_1383a.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 125
Wow incredible. Whenever i take shots with mine at the moment the screen is always super dark. I think i need to relook at my settings.

Here is a snapshot. I have C2 set to go to 1.5X teleconverter and to extend the zoom partway to get a fast shot.

This was taken with the 1.5x teleconverter and not quite maximum optical zoom. It was all about getting close enough and quick setup before the bird left.

I think that it's a pretty cool photo of a dark eyed junco with the fall leaves all blurred in the background.

Attachments

• 2014 10 31 11 36 59.jpg
    2014 10 31 11 36 59.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 204
Here is a snapshot. I have C2 set to go to 1.5X teleconverter and to extend the zoom partway to get a fast shot.

This was taken with the 1.5x teleconverter and not quite maximum optical zoom. It was all about getting close enough and quick setup before the bird left.

I think that it's a pretty cool photo of a dark eyed junco with the fall leaves all blurred in the background.

Wow! That is excellent on so many levels...

AndyM

Okay, I usually use Nikon ViewNX2 with Neat Image for noise reduction (ALWAYS saving the original file as a .tiff for a lossless format during each process/save until finished).

Canons DPP, that is bundled with the SX40/50/60, is quite adequate having just about all the tools you need including noise reduction, which in my book, makes all the difference.

Anyway, a few more that I'd forgotten about....

AndyM

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.

Wow, great shot!

I think I'm improving with the Flexizone, but I also had the AF-Point Zoom enabled, which I didn't like...do other SX50 users use this function?

Attachments

• Desert Wheatear2.jpg
    Desert Wheatear2.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 160
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back