• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Masai Mara, Kenya, mystery (1 Viewer)

kitefarrago

I feel this bird should be identifiable, given the very pink bill and the aligning streaks, but I can't find anything that really seems to fit. Is this an Euplectes of some kind?

My final post with birds from this trip. I really appreciate the help I have been getting with these.

Andrea

Attachments

• DSC03928.jpg
    DSC03928.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC03931.jpg
    DSC03931.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03933.jpg
    DSC03933.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC03934.jpg
    DSC03934.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC03938.jpg
    DSC03938.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 53
Regarding sex: a small amount of yellow to the wing coverts does not necessarily indicate a non-breeding male as the female of several Euplectes may show this. And I saw a non-breeding male Yellow bishop just few days ago in Tanzania: it had a lot more yellow on the wing bend; likewise the yellow rump would be visible in several of Andrea's pic.

As to the species I am not sure but it's between Yellow bishop and Yellow-mantled widowbird.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back