• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Richmond Park, lakes, London, UK, 23/06/11, strange duck like bird (1 Viewer)

Hi

I am a beginner so the various plummages that ducks, geese etc go through I find confusing.

I was at Richmond Park by the main lakes today. There were Canada Geese, Great Crested Grebe, Mute Swans and some youngish Egyptian Geese (they didn't have eye patches but looked similar in other respects, had small. black marks on their chests).

There was a lone bird on the lake, mottled brown and white back which made me think it was a young bird, about the size of an adult Tufted Duck or slightly bigger.

But its head and front of the neck was pinky almost fleshy in colour with the back of its neck a dark green (sort of Mallard green). Dark eyes but the fleshy colour of the head gave way to almost white on top.

I've had a look around various sites but couldn't find anything approximating, which made me think it was a young bird (along with the mottled effect on its back and sides.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ducks are very difficult, as you do get all sorts of Hybrids.
and introduced birds from around the world.
see if you can get a photo !

Steve

thanks

I just found my london wetlands colour guide and i think it was a red-headed pochard. the shape of the dark patch (shows black on the guide) is right and the shape of the head was ok. The top appeared brighter but the back seems right.

My camera batteries had just ran out, grrr. Might pop down in the week to see what i can photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back