• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loony Tunes, Europe .... (1 Viewer)

John Tindale

Just got back from a trip to Sweden. Every evening while sitting in the garden a bird would fly over at the same time at dusk. The flight was high, direct, and fast. I was unable to get my bins on it. It resembled a skinny awkward mallard. It was too high to accertain any markings.The call was a repeated kah.. kah ..kah. My first instinct was that it was a Diver ....... but which one. Any Ideas? Any Diver would be a first for me.

May I ask where in Sweden you were? Black-throated can be seen in many places in Sweden whereas Red-throated is usually found further north (but does breed in some places in the south).
I'm not really familiar enough with their calls to help though...

May I ask where in Sweden you were? Black-throated can be seen in many places in Sweden whereas Red-throated is usually found further north (but does breed in some places in the south).
I'm not really familiar enough with their calls to help though...

I was in Arvika,east of Oslo. So, not so far north. Red and Black Throated, are they a similar size?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back