• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (1 Viewer)

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I want November now.

A local camera store had a demo model one a couple of weeks ago........just for 2 hours before it was shipped off to another branch. They said it was one of only 3 such models in Japan at that time. They let me play around with it for 5 minutes. I couldn't change the menu to English or put a memory card so I have nothing especially interesting to report.............

I will say the little button to toggle through the AF modes was very interesting. I also think it can be used to change ISO settings. These were 2 things that were much easier to do with your eye in the viewfinder than the current 7D...............and the ISO 16000 looked OK on the LCD screen in the shop (I'm sure it would be more brutal on a PC screen).

I've already ordered one though. It is due in Japan in 'early' November. I may well be one of the very first (well one of the very first enthusiast /non professional) English speaking birding photographers to get one.................

Dave why don't you see sense and swap to Canon.:t:

I just might! I'm highly invested in Nikon gear so the price of switching would be very high. Even though it has not yet been released and without any official tests or reports on the 7D2, I think it will probably be the best new SLR body for small birds or birds in flight. But I need to wait and see what Nikon might finally do. Ordinarily Nikon and Canon predictably match closely each type of product. However, some think that pretty soon Canon and Nikon might begin offering mirrorless APS-C bodies, and when that happens they might forever stop offering expensive traditional APS-C bodies like the 7D2, as many people would see these as "old school" (in addition to those who already see them as "less" than full frame). Personally I don't care if a mirror is "old school" if it is the best tool with the best autofocus. Anyway, I'm sort of holding off on everything until I see what Nikon does in the next 5-6 months. Plus I don't have to always get the very best gear! It's not all about that... Getting out often and using the gear you have is more important. What would John Muir think of me with all my "gear?"

Dave

Last edited:
A local camera store had a demo model one a couple of weeks ago........just for 2 hours before it was shipped off to another branch. They said it was one of only 3 such models in Japan at that time. They let me play around with it for 5 minutes. I couldn't change the menu to English or put a memory card so I have nothing especially interesting to report.............

I will say the little button to toggle through the AF modes was very interesting. I also think it can be used to change ISO settings. These were 2 things that were much easier to do with your eye in the viewfinder than the current 7D...............and the ISO 16000 looked OK on the LCD screen in the shop (I'm sure it would be more brutal on a PC screen).

I've already ordered one though. It is due in Japan in 'early' November. I may well be one of the very first (well one of the very first enthusiast /non professional) English speaking birding photographers to get one.................

Stu
How was the shutter noise on the 7d2,much quieter than the Mk 1 or just as loud ?

I will say the little button to toggle through the AF modes was very interesting
How is that different from the old 7D Stu ? I always found it easy to toggle through the AF modes while looking through the viewfinder by using the little button (M-Fn) near the top of the Camera, it is the same on the 5D3. Is the button on the 7D2 is in a different place?

How is that different from the old 7D Stu ? I always found it easy to toggle through the AF modes while looking through the viewfinder by using the little button (M-Fn) near the top of the Camera, it is the same on the 5D3. Is the button on the 7D2 is in a different place?

It's a completely new button near the back control dial.

From the Dpreview piece on this page:

"Above the Q button is the new 'AF area select' thumb switch, which allows you to toggle between AF area modes, and can also be reassigned to a number other features using 'Custom Controls'."

I knew about the M-Fn button on the 7D but rarely use it. To be honest the only AF modes I ever use are AF centre point expansion and spot AF....................

Being able to change ISO with the same button in tandem with the main dial sounds like a great idea as I hate using auto ISO.

Does anybody know if the 7D2 will allow exposure compensation when shooting in Manual with Auto ISO? The 1DX has this feature which I find extremely useful for the vast majority of my photography.

Does anybody know if the 7D2 will allow exposure compensation when shooting in Manual with Auto ISO? The 1DX has this feature which I find extremely useful for the vast majority of my photography.
Yep, that would be very useful John. I certainly wish the 5D3 had it. I have not heard that the 7D2 has it but you never know.

According to the manual it does indeed have this feature.................although it is hidden away somewhat in the custom controls

According to the manual it does indeed have this feature.................although it is hidden away somewhat in the custom controls

Good to hear.
These days I have moved from AV and TV mode to manual and auto ISO with my 1DX. Of course the great advantage of the 1DX is that when the ISO goes high I don't worry. Whilst the 7D2 with it's high pixel density won't do this I still think it will be a very good feature if the light is OK.

Of course the great advantage of the 1DX is that when the ISO goes high I don't worry. Whilst the 7D2 with it's high pixel density won't do this I still think it will be a very good feature if the light is OK.

The poor high ISO performace of the 7D compared to FF is why I never really use auto ISO on it...................it always seems to use the highest or lowest ISO setting. The firmware update at least let us set the upper ISO limit and I tried it once in the 200-800 range but was never happy, it was still always under or overexposed....................

Anyway I'm hoping the 7DII is a stop better and will be useable up to ISO 1600, on my 7D I never go above ISO 800. I'd be more than happy with that.

The poor high ISO performace of the 7D compared to FF is why I never really use auto ISO on it...................it always seems to use the highest or lowest ISO setting. .
That is just not true Stu, here is how it works on the 7D:
In Av mode with auto ISO, you set the aperture and the Camera sets a shutter speed of around focal length x 1.6 - the Camera then sets the ISO to give the correct exposure.

In Tv mode with auto ISO, you set the shutter speed and the Camera sets a wide open aperture. the Camera then sets the ISO to give the correct exposure.

Which ISO it selects in both cases is depended on the available light.

There are two thing to bare in mind with auto ISO when using either Av or Tv mode, here are two examples with, say the 400/5.6 and 7D:-

When using Av mode and auto ISO the shutter speed will be around 1/640 sec.
When using Tv mode and auto ISO the aperture will be f5.6 or occasionally f6.3 (ideal if you are happy shooting wide open).

As an example Stu take this scenario in Av mode without setting auto ISO.
You are using Av mode, set the ISO to 400 and set the aperture to f5.6 and lets say you get a shutter speed of 1/800 sec

Now in the same light, if you use Tv mode with auto ISO and set a shutter speed of 1/800 sec, the aperture will be f5.6 and the ISO will be 400 - it is bound to return the same ISO as the example above without auto ISO providing the shutter speed and aperture are the same.

BTW in either of these two modes with Auto ISO you can still use exposure compensation as per normal - something you could not do when using auto ISO in Manual mode, being able to do this now with the 7D2 is a huge step forward INHO.

Last edited:
That's all well and good Roy but with the current 7D I never use AV/TV modes, I only ever use M mode and auto ISO is kind of redundant in this situation (without exposure compensation).

Like you say having it on the new MKII is a big plus. I may well give auto ISO a try on the 7DII if the exposure comp is convenient to use.................

Being able to toggle a button in a convenient place to change the ISO suits me at least but I know we all have different shooting styles/preferences.

The Charger will work on older 7D batteries I would assume as the 1DX AND 1D4/3 did as the newer camera will require more power, and thus older charger will not fully charge

That's all well and good Roy but with the current 7D I never use AV/TV modes, I only ever use M mode and auto ISO is kind of redundant in this situation (without exposure compensation).

Like you say having it on the new MKII is a big plus. I may well give auto ISO a try on the 7DII if the exposure comp is convenient to use.................

Being able to toggle a button in a convenient place to change the ISO suits me at least but I know we all have different shooting styles/preferences.

I only ever use manual settings too. I have tried auto iso on the 5D but it over exposes in bright conditions and I have always found it better in dark ones where you set the minimum acceptable shutter speed and use the lens wide open.It has always been a last resort to use though.Since being told about the EV feature on the 1DX I have used it with reasonable success. It's very easy to find once you know where to look. Just press the Q button when you have turned the camera on and set auto -iso, toggle to exposure compensation settings. When you hit the SET button it offers the opportunity to lighten or darken the shot with EV. Unfortunately it doesn't move on the 5D but with the top dial on the 1DX you can alter the setting easily.
It's another example of the manufacturer deliberately blocking a feature that could be enabled on the 5D3.
If indeed the 7D2 has this feature I wouldn't be surprised to see a firmware update to allow it to do so on the 5D3.

Last edited:
The Charger will work on older 7D batteries I would assume as the 1DX AND 1D4/3 did as the newer camera will require more power, and thus older charger will not fully charge

That will almost certainly be the case. You'll be able to use the old batteries and charge them on the 7D2's included charger.

Not advocating any shooting style Stu but just addressing your comment about auto ISO on the 7D, hopefully explaining how it worked :t:

I to would like to use Manual mode all the time but with no Ev comp on auto ISO it only suited me to use Manual in unchanging light (mostly for BIF against a clear sky). If I ever got a 7D2 I would most certainly be looking to use Manual with auto ISO a lot more providing it was easy enough to access and use.

Not advocating any shooting style Stu but just addressing your comment about auto ISO on the 7D, hopefully explaining how it worked :t:

I to would like to use Manual mode all the time but with no Ev comp on auto ISO it only suited me to use Manual in unchanging light (mostly for BIF against a clear sky). If I ever got a 7D2 I would most certainly be looking to use Manual with auto ISO a lot more providing it was easy enough to access and use.

I was shooting a Phalarope the other day which was swimming between bright light and deep shadow constantly. I tried to dial in the amount of EV I thought I needed but it's still not easy when the light contrasts so much. To stop too much over exposure in the bright light I settled for a half way house setting which had both lights producing a usable if not ideal image. Fortunately recovery in PP on the 1DX is excellent and maybe that's it big advantage over the 7D2 otherwise you wonder why the price difference.

Exposure compensation within Manual mode for Auto ISO, nice touch. I know there was a reason I keep coming back here.... to torture my brain.

I was shooting a Phalarope the other day which was swimming between bright light and deep shadow constantly. I tried to dial in the amount of EV I thought I needed but it's still not easy when the light contrasts so much. To stop too much over exposure in the bright light I settled for a half way house setting which had both lights producing a usable if not ideal image. Fortunately recovery in PP on the 1DX is excellent and maybe that's it big advantage over the 7D2 otherwise you wonder why the price difference.

Dave
What's PP? Sure I'm going to feel stupid asking this.

Cheers

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back