• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bird in the bath! (1 Viewer)

David Pedder

Bird bath?!

I recently had a new bathroom suite fitted, very badly, by a company that will have to remain nameless for legal reasons. I live in a first floor flat and my neighbour, in the flat below, has had some unexpected showers! Having taken out the old over-flow pipe, the so-called plumber left a hole in the brickwork and guess what? I now have birds nesting under my bath! To be honest, it is quite nice to have some company whilst in the bath and the occupants don't seem to be too bothered about the noises resulting from the filling and emptying of it. I became aware of the said birds as I parked the car the other day and saw one of the parent birds fly from the hole in the brickwork. It all happened so fast that I didn't get an ID but I think it was a Great Tit. I've been very tempted to take the bath panel off to have a look at the nest but feel sure the birds are best left alone. They appear to enjoy Classic FM in the mornings!

When should the fledglings have flown? I'll then have to block up the hole and buy a rubber duck!

Last edited:
Wow, that's a first, birds nesting whilst your bathing! Personally I'd leave well alone until the breeding season is finished. You can never be sure whether a new brood is under your bath!

Still, it makes for interesting bathtimes I guess.

Regards

If it is a GT you can expect 8-12 eggs layed over about the same period of days, there is about12-15 days incubaton and then the young fledge at about 16-22 days.

So things may go quiet in about a months or so time. Just a shame you can't check that everything is ok without disturbing them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back