• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shutter speeds (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hello,

I had an attempt at digiscoping today but found that I could not
do a picture with a shutter speed above 1/250.
Everytime I went into manual (on a cp4500) and moved it to 1/500 the flash would pop up and then my picture would be pitch black.
Is it possible to go to 1/500?
Thanks
Pete.

It's possible to go to 1/2000 but the results are entirely dependant upon the light available for the shot. There obviously wasn't enough light as that's why the flash popped up.

In full manual exposure mode you should see a linear exposure meter on the monitor... this gives you an idea as to whether the shot will be over or under exposed.
Taking your shot as an example, the linear meter should have been lighting up segments well past the centre ( centre is perfect exposure). The meter runs from right to left..... right being over-exposure and left is under-exposure.
BTW. Best to have the flash switched off at all times.
Andy, who has probably totally mis-understood your problem :)

Nope your spot on there.
I read your website on that bit about under exposing,
so I was trying to but whenever I went to 1/500 the bar went fully left. I tried to use the exposure compensation thingy but that didnt seem to do much.
It was really sunny today too which confused me a bit.
I will have another go tomorrow, see if it happens again.
Thanks
Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back