• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

F Stop (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
I own a Coolpix 995 in the booklet it shows an f.stop of 2.6,I can get 5.1 but don't seem to be able to get down to 2.6 any ideas out there?

Thanks Geoff :t:

Geoff, the higher you zoom to, the less light can enter the camera lens so the f-stop increases. This is particularly noticeable in digiscoping.

As T0ny says, set the camera to it's most wide angle position and you should achieve f2,6 !

Geoff,

I asked Nikon about the aperture sizes and they replied with the following, bearing in mind that the maximum aperture size does, as Ian points out, get smaller as you increase the zoom.
Wide: f2.6-f7.5
Tele: f5.1-f10.2

I think this is just the nature of the beast, small lens camera that is. there are digital cameras with larger diameter lens and more zoom that have a constant f-stop of 2.8, like the new 12x zoom panasonic fz1. My fuji s602 has a 6x zoom and can achieve f2.8 at full zoom. Maybe if we ask nikon nicely they will make a digicam specifically designed for digiscoping with a fast lens(f2.0/f2.8) which is still small in diameter, that would be nice.

Just saw this Paulyoly. Sorry but what you are hoping for isn't feasible. f stop is basically the ratio between lens diameter and focal length. The longer the focal length for a given diameter lens, the lower the f stop. Nikon did give us a faster lens at longer focal length in the 5000 series, but the resultant lens diameter makes Digiscoping difficult. I once had a 300mm f2.8 lens. It was huge. Things like that are great for low light, but not so good for lugging around. The only answer that I can see is to make the CCD more sensitive with less noise.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back