• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget Digiscoping? is it possible? (1 Viewer)

boznia

Hello there, could somebody advise me on whether you can digiscope with budget scopes and budget cameras. I understand that the quality will not be as good, but would be interested to know if it is possible with cheap equipment. What sort of digital camera do you need, in order to attach it to a scope? do you need specfic eyepieces for your scope? Does the scope need to cost hundreds of pounds?

Sorry thats a lot of questions, but I, and, no doubt, others would like to know your opinions.

Thanks, and happy new year,

Ben

Hi Ben, depends what sort of budget you're on? But a high-end scope isn't compulsory. My suggestion would be to look at the 2nd hand market for a scope with a large objective lens and standard glass...maybe the Kowa 821/822 or an older Kowa tsn1/2. These will still cost £200+
Digiscoping should be complimentary to birding, rather than buying specifically for digiscoping. So using an eyepiece that you are happy to use for normal viewing is the ideal. I'd suggest a 20x or at the very most, a 30x e.p.
You may need to dip into the 2nd hand digital camera market to get a reasonably priced camera.....and these digiscoping-friendly cameras are invariably nikon coolpix 880,885,950,990,995 and the new cp4500.
You can check out Loot online, E-Bay or for a guarantee'd item try
Jessops online 2nd hand lists.
Adapters to connect camera to scope aren't cheap...usually £70+, but good results can come from homemade devices, even a 28mm-37mm step-up ring can be useful...the 28mm thread fits to the nikon lens and the 37mm side will often fit snug over the eyepiece, though you will still need to support the camera by hand (it does eliminate some camera shake and aligns camera lens to eyepiece).
Hope that helps a bit.
Andy B

Hi Ben,
persnally I think its false economy to buy cheap as I've found out from experience. By cheap I mean cheaper brands/models.
If you are serious about your hobby then buy the best quality equipment that you can afford.
Now there is nothing wrong with good secondhand equipment and there is a lot about if you are prepared to look.Have a search on Google. Try Jessops for cameras for a start. For scopes try South West Optics and look in both there scondhand equipment pages.
Have a look at my website http://www.digiscoping-uk.co.uk for some simple ideas on digiscoping and my own experiences.
Regards Stan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ben,

I finally purchased my first scope yesterday. A nice Kowa TS611 with a 20x eyepiece. My digital Cam is a Kodak DX3600 with 2x optical and 3x digital zoom. As I was about to save up for a Nikon CP4500 I was pleasantly surprise that the eyepiece is a perfect fir for the camera with little or no Vignetting. I'll be fashioning a connector today that will probably consist of a tube with a cradle to hold the weight of the camera, possibly with a velcro quick fastener.

I'll let you know how I get on with my first digiscoping forays.

Iff sucessful I'd have saved my self the cost of the 4500 and connector as well as getting the scope for a fantastic £200.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back